Do US inmates want to get together on a Nippy Norman's Stebel group buy?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by redredred, Dec 29, 2010.

1. redredred

redredred Experienced n00b

Oddometer:
    I was considering purchasing one of the Nippy Norman Stebel Magnum MSX horns. Here is a pic:
    [​IMG]
    and a link: http://www.nippynormans.com/MAGNUM-...WITHOUT-spade-connectors/productinfo/STB-ZZZ/ for reference. I like the horn but it costs 15 quid ($23.27) to ship it across the pond! the good news is that it costs 15 pounds whether you purchase 1 or 5 or 10 horns so it would make sense to buy them together as a group and them ship them out individually once there are in the states. who is interested? here is what is of interest to GSes:

MAGNUM MSX HORN (black) - 136dB (WITHOUT spade connectors)
    http://www.nippynormans.com/MAGNUM-...WITHOUT-spade-connectors/productinfo/STB-ZZZ/

MAGNUM MSX HORN - ((black) - 136dB (with spade connectors)
    http://www.nippynormans.com/MAGNUM-MSX-HORN-black-136dB-with-spade-connectors/productinfo/STB-MAG/

Horn wiring kit for BMW bikes with Can-Bus wiring
    http://www.nippynormans.com/Horn-wi...ith-Can-Bus-wiring/productinfo/STB-CANBUSKIT/
  2. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    How does the sound compare to the normal Stebel horn?
  3. redredred

Oddometer:
    i cannot state from experience but the Stebel Magnum MSX is rated at 136 dB while the Nautilus is rated at 139 dB. that 3 dB doesn't sound like much, but decibels are logarithmic so the Nautilus is twice as loud as the Magnum. as a result, it also will not work off the canbus horn power and will require you to use a relay and power directly from the battery. it is also larger and a tough fit on a R1200GS.
  4. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can get Magnums in the US for less than $30. I have seen some dual tone kits with 2 for under $30.

Also I have seen a thread on gsinfo where it was plugged directly into the stock horn system on a 1200, with no reports of a canbus meltdown.

I intend to add this at some point. But for now will stick to evasion rather than causing some latte sipping cell phone texting mother/teenager a heart attack. Cause lord knows the will lose control of the vehicle at that point. :rofl
  5. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. BerndM

BerndM Shiftless One

Oddometer:
    You guys might want to look into the OEM horn on a 2005 R1200RT.
    Mine is leaps and bounds louder and more authoritative than the wimpy piece of crap OEM that came on my 2006 R1200GS.
    IMHO, the 05 RT horn is a great match for the Stebel and it will probably fit better.
    Regards and

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!
  7. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I have a Nautilus mounted to my '07. I bought the horn and the install kit. It comes with everything you need. Ya, it is a bitch to get it installed. You'll be cussing trying to get it into the tight spot. No technical knowledge just spending time bending the mounting bracket into place and getting the horn wired. Mine has been on for over a year, 10K miles. No issues. Once you get it mounted and try it out you will wonder why you didn't do it earlier. I am seriously thing about a horn for my plated XR4 and for my truck and car.
  8. Motor2of7

Motor2of7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will this horn fit in the same place as the stock horn on an 09 GSA with ESA? I'm looking to upgrade the horn but there is very little room to work with.
  9. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think answer is "yes" but see this for details:
    http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_files/Page732.htm
  10. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have both the Stebel Magnum and RT horn.. The Stebel requires you to either buy the plug in kit if you don't want to cut off the OEM harness on the bike. I tested both horns and found the RT horn to be - to my ears - just as loud, so I installed that instead, plug and play as the RT horn uses the same OEM plug in connector.

p.s. I also had the Stebel Nautilus on a previous bike it was much much louder and much more piercing than either of the above horns.
  11. nameisdam

nameisdam Ride'm while you can

Oddometer:
    Actually, with the Excel wiring setup, you don't cut the OEM connector - Tom's special design taps into the existing connector - pretty neat really. The kit has the "trigger" wire, prepared positive and negative leads, relay connectors, fuse holder, fuse & shrink wrap. And he adds a sealed relay.
    See the link above or here ( http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_files/Page732.htm ) - then look at the links for the PDF's - Tom put some time into creating a pretty slick model specific setup. And wants to make sure that it is installed correctly, thus all the install pictures.
    He goes way past the extra mile to make "just enough" seem lame - I think you will like the results.
    His website says send him an email or give him a call (I think "normal work hours" would be nice - he puts in some long shop hours). He tests all the horns by the way - his package for horn and wiring is a real bargain
    It was 22F today for the New Years Day ride and the horn worked well.......
  12. redredred

Oddometer:
    this is very interesting, i had no idea that the RT horn was so effective. is it just certain year RT horns or is the current RT horn a beast too?
  13. Sanders

Sanders Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer:
    Confluence of the Mississippi and the St. Croix
    2005 R1200RT, eh? I'll be checking THAT out Thanks GB
  14. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is what came in the box from Excel:
    [​IMG]

I installed mine a few days ago and made a bad mistake. The threaded horn mount stud on my bike was a bit corroded and the nut was hard to remove. As I tightened on the spacer included in the Excel kit - I got this:
    [​IMG]

I drilled a new hole and improvised a replacement mounting block out of stainless washers and a thru bolt:
    [​IMG]

Don't let the relay scare you - go for the BIG NOISE! The leads included in the kit make wiring in the relay a piece of cake.

I also installed a set of Clearwater Krista LED aux lights and tied the horn button into their control module. Now, when I hit the horn, the Kristas flash at full brightness. Thats a boatload of noise and light at the same time.