Unimat lathes

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Chopperman, Nov 30, 2003.

1. BoxerBoy

BoxerBoy Saupreisser Schweinhund

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they're red, and yeah, they do look cheezy... I'll try to google around before investing, or locate an old 'un.

We don't have Wal-Mart here, but we've got Harrod's... :):
  2. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    When my father in law gave the the unit, I looked on ebay to see what they were bringing. 3-400 bones. dayum. I know you can get the chicom 7X10 for about the same price. I think there is a brit place that deals with the small units that would be a good choice. A google search picked it up quickly. And since y'all are one big happy country now it should be easy to get one from there. :):
  3. John Macdonald

John Macdonald Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys-

Something to note here, a little reality check is in order.

Those tiny lathes are fun and all, but for *not so much more money* or even that kind of scratch, you can get a 9" South Bend bench lathe (a real one, guys...) that'll cut threads and tapers and really do something for you in the long run.

It's really easy to get into the whole micro lathe spin and lose perspective.
    They're cute in a matchbox car kind of way, but the fun stops once you want to do some work on it and park yourself into the need for a lathe when all you have is one of those things.

Tooling for the South Bend is going to be easier to make or buy, and it's everywhere used.

Just a little check-in on this before you guys get carried away in the unimat vortex.

4. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    Good thought. But I need a definition of "not so much more"
    The unimat was for me, free. and 200-400 bucks for others is not a bad place to start for learning. And it is a good way for me to figure out if using one is for me. I have a feeling I will use it at least once a project. If that is the case then yes I will invest in something bigger. I have yet to see a lathe around here for less than a couple grand. Or it comes with so little that you will spend another grand in getting the stuff it needs. And then there is the fear.....of addiction. Like crack. "Oh just a little lathe" next thing you know it is a second mortgage for a monster mill and the rewiring to run it.

Actually the Unimat for me is a training and investigation tool. I need to learn the lathe skills. And crashing a tool on it isnt nearly as spectacular or dangerous as doing the same on some 8" chuck monster.

Are you saying you can get a larger south bend for under 1k?
  5. kevbo

kevbo Rubbery-Lip Flappin' PHI

Oddometer:
    You could get a nice machine for that budget. You probably couldn't just go buy one, but if you keep your eyes open, follow up on leads, etc. they are out there....Exactly like buying used motorcycles. You will find owners that want to see it go to a good home, widows cleaning out the garage, and royal prick owners who are way to proud of thier junk. Used machines often come with some nearly essential tooling or accessories that will make you cry if you have to buy them new....an Aloris toolpost is one example. Even the chicom clones (that don't work near as well) aren't exactly cheap.
  6. John Macdonald

Oddometer:
    Yeah, especially up there in boeing country, there are bound to be a frickload of nice little south bend lathes with tooling and all that crap for under a grand cash and carry.
    I've seen them go for half that, ready to oil up and make chips.
    I've seen them for four times that too, but you wouldn't end up staying around for the conversation with any of those guys, so don't worry about it.
    Go kicking tires around old tool and die shops, talk to whoever will talk about it, and get the word out that you want a nice little lathe.
    Don't get a craftsman or atlas or whatthefuckeverelse benchtop lathe either.
    Just get the south bend.
    Unless it's a Hardinge or LeBlond or Monarch.
    But then you won't be getting it for half a grand either.

South Bend is the way to go, rat hole some hundred dollar bills and get on the horn spreading the word you want one.
  7. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    Hmm. I guess I am in the wrong groups. My buddy is a journeyman machinist and he doesnt find em either. Cosest I got was a *monster* lathe a few years ago. Had something like a 15' bed. "Haul it out and it's yours" considering I was living in a house that had no room for it, no power for it...not to mention I had no way to move it once I got it down the 2 flights of stairs.... I passed and all my friends breathed a sigh of relief.

I'll keep an eye out though.
  8. John Macdonald

Oddometer:
    Do keep an eye out.
    Look in the press classifieds and look in the used marketplace ads.
    You might find that they are being passed around in little circles.
    These things can get kinda cultish.
    Call a couple of bicycle framebuilders. Try Ti Cycles in Seattle, that is if they are still building. Used to be right down the way from the Saloon and the OK Hotel. Those guys would know what the used market is like on little machines like this in your neck of the woods...
  9. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    ooh. Good thought. You do realize my wife will hate you, dont you?
  10. John Macdonald

Oddometer:
    Aaahhh--

You guys are fine...

And yes, the machines do tend to make the girls jealous, but like I said, you guys are fine.
  11. rtlittledevil

rtlittledevil Choder Boy the Germonkey

Oddometer:
    On Bickford Ave. to the right as you enter Snohomish just before you cross over Highway 9 in the new busisness complex at the end of the culdesack at the bottom of the hill on the left you will find Brownfield Machine. They are a great bunch of guys in there and Fred Brownfield is a kick. If you ever need help, advice or leads on whatever, give them a call or better yet, drop in. He is a busisness man but also races sprint cars so he will chat machines with anybody who will listen. I have done much electrical work for him over the years and he has made me some custom parts. All in good fun. They do some of the nicest work you will ever see there.

:jive
  12. Chopperman

Oddometer:
    Good info RT thanks!