Around the World in 800 Days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AT86

AT86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well as long as the EU is sending hundreds of millions of Euros to Africa to bild up their infrastructure that the people their feel well at home and don't need to escape to Europe, for me it is a shame not to stop that payments as long as some stupid leaders are just buying new cars and waeppons somewhere in the world instead of helping to built up their economy.

If you read RR's from people travelled at some parts of Africa, years ago they got invited even from the poorest people and today, if they don't have presents, they got thrown with stones by kids.

And exactly that is what we aducate them with our help - they expect all Nonafrican to help them instead of getting self responsible.
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While Kathe is off traveling, I have been planning my next motorcycle adventure to SE Asia.
    I have decided on buying a Honda CRF250L.
    They are made in Thailand so the taxes are much less. I think I can pick one up for about $4500. But I am hoping to score a slightly used one for about $3000. I will figure it out when I get there. I won't be carrying as much stuff as I had on the BMW (thank God) but I still need to make room for some clothes and camping gear.
    The difficult part about planning this leg of my trip is that I might not be able to use the same bike in all the countries I am planning to visit.
    I want to travel thru Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. .... And maybe Burma if possible.
    But Vietnam has issues about letting bikes in over 150cc's
    And Indonesia, I might need a Carnet.
    So I might have to ditch the Honda and buy another motorcycle and move all my gear on to that motorcycle. So the bags need to be universal and not specific. I think I have come up with a plan but I still need to do some more research about border crossings and such before I can commit to specifics.
    But I am very excited to get back on two wheels and even more excited to get back on a Honda dirt bike similar to what I ride in Baja.........except for this 250 will have much less power than the 450X's and 650R's that I ride. But it will weigh much less than my BMW, so that part sounds fun.

[​IMG]
  3. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:

I hadn't thought about renting a scooter here in Lima but that sounds like a good idea.........until I remember how bad the traffic is here. In fact, I can't believe that I actually rode my big BMW thru Lima and survived. There is gridlock everywhere. And it is caused by stupid people doing stupid things. For example, there are two lanes in each direction but only one lane can be used because the taxis just park in a lane and everyone has to go around them. Or the way people park, sometimes it is not possible for 2 cars to pass each other.
    It is insane.
    I went for a taxi ride yesterday and the driver just makes turns without looking to see if someone is coming the other way. It is surprising their aren't more wrecks here. In fact, I don't think I have seen any!!! It is like all the cars are made from repulsion magnets. Two cars look like they are going to bump but one car gives way at the very last moment. Scary being a passenger here.
  4. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed
    The 250L is on my list, I have been saving all my pennies to get the bike:lol3. I think this bike will be peerfect for my side and more fun to ride. Good luck with your Asia trip and have fun while you are with Kathe:freaky
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Well, there probably won't be any 2 wheel adventure stories this week but some bikini pictures are a distinct possibility.
    You see, I just booked 4 nights at an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana Dominican Republic. We leave in 2 days.

After that, I am hoping to head back to So California for a week or so. Maybe I will have time for a little ride on one of my street bikes there if the batteries are not all dead.

After that, maybe some more living large and fun in the sun. And then it is off to SE Asia and living out of a tent again by myself
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    That is an awesome list. I am saving that one.
    You are the James Bond of knowledge. You seem to know a lot about a lot of things
    I now know who to call when things go wrong
  7. nameless

nameless 100% recyclable

Oddometer:
    you have a point there, that's the other face of the coin...the "help" that all it is in fact is the big economies giving "gifts" while they exploit the land for their profit.
    Anyway, onward with the fun parts.. :)
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Like the saying about teaching a man how to fish as opposed to just giving him the fish................
    And since probably most of that EU money is coming from Germany these days, you would think it would buy some respect. But in fact, I think it does quite the opposite.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Here is kind of an example of how I am going to outfit the Honda CRF250L for Asia.
    Wolfman Luggage makes just the kind of luggage I was looking for.
    Of course it would be best to have a dedicated frame to mount the side bags to. But considering I might be using more than one motorcycle there, I need something more universal. Wolfman makes these side bags to fit almost any small motorcycle and are ideal for a bike like the Honda.
    On top of the seat and behind my butt, I will use one of their oval dry bags as shown here. But at the far rear, I am going to mount a lockable hard case like something from Givi or Pelican. That way I can keep my passport and computer locked when I am away from the bike.
    This should give me enough storage space to survive.
    To extend my gas range, I want to use a two gallon gas bladder. I am still researching this but I am confident that I can find something that will work. I think a bladder bag will be better as it will not put as much stress on the subframe and it can be folded up and stored when I don't need it.

I would love to hear from you and your ideas how to set up the motorcycle for Asia. I don't want to put much money in to the bike as I won't be keeping it long.......so a big bore kit is out of the question as tempting as it may be.

[​IMG]
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Also I will use a tank bag like the one shown here. A tank bag is a must to carry those go to items and to hold a map for easy navigation.

[​IMG]
  11. mikecbrxx

mikecbrxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Lalo

To be honest, I wouldn't go this route at all.

I would suggest getting an imported 125 from China or some other place like that.... probably second hand but a new one would only cost you around $1000. Spares will be readily available anywhere. Then travel with just a backpack or cheap bicycle throw-overs and use the money you save to stay in cheap local accommodation....and it can be real cheap. Would remove the need to change bikes again too. Just carry clothes, electronics and a light sleeping bag.

If you travel upto Chiangkham near the Laos border, I can arrange a place to stay, with my in-laws.

Almost certain you will be able to sell it again afterwards. There is always a demand for cheap transport there with the local rice farmers (my family :-))

Mike
  12. nameless

nameless 100% recyclable

Oddometer:
    I've seen people complaining about the tank bags, as not being such a great idea because they took some liberty of movements, and the rear luggage seems great :) just have to be careful because of the exhaust pipe being too close to the bags (i have been thinking of getting some soft panniers like that for the XT660R, and people seem to get the pannier metal rack to keep the bags away from danger)

check this out for ideas :D

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188142&page=29
  13. AT86

AT86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am totally with you.

Like the bike you intend to take to Asia as well :thumbup:
  14. hwunger

hwunger Been here awhile

Oddometer:

... when you get to New Delhi you two can duke it out for 1st place :D

:norton
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Hey! Who the hell are you to disagree with me!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just kidding!!!
    I actually like it because it gives me a reason to question myself.
    But at this moment, I am excited about the thought of being on a Honda CRF250. I am hoping to do most of SE Asia on this bike.
    And yes, I know it will cost me more but I don't think I could survive the entire ride on a crappy 125.
    I will most likely have to get a crappy bike in Indonesia and/or Vietnam and that is ok. I will be looking forward to a change there as a crappy little bike will be a whole new adventure
    I am only bringing 4 shirts, one pants, one shorts and a swimsuit. I have my electronic stuff and my camping stuff (just a smaller tent with no fly, lightweight sleeping bag, pad and of course my hammock and rain fly. I will have a few tools and parts like a spare tube. And that's about it.
    I will look forward to seeing your family in Laos soon.
    Thanks
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    There are always going to be compromises. But in the case of a tank bag, I need one mostly for map pocket on top. Plus it is handy to store your camera, sunglasses, etc. in. I will let you know my thoughts after I have had some time living with it.
    I spoke with the Wolfman guys about their rackless saddle bags and they said the bags will stay clear of the exhaust as long as they are mounted tightly to the bike.
    I still have not seen a better system that will work for me for a small bike.
    But I want to hear your ideas as I could be wrong.
  17. hwunger

hwunger Been here awhile

Oddometer:

hey, what happened to the spiffy Enfield ? .... it sure was a looker !

:D
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:

Yeah, I was trying to get to India and Nepal this year but I had to choose between going to India or being in Lima for Kathe's birthday.
    I hope to go next year at this time. I still think it would be so cool to get an Enfield and ride the high passes in the Himalayas.
  19. barrakuda

barrakuda Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. barrakuda

barrakuda Adventurer

Oddometer:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.