XT1200Z Super Tenere Rostra Cruise Control Project

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by SuperCruise, Sep 22, 2010.

1. SuperCruise

SuperCruise Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have recently ramped up my efforts to install a Rostra electronic cruise control unit on my S10 and thought some of you may be interested in my progress.

So far I have acertained that, although fly-by-wire in its final implementation, the throttle assembly should be able to accommodate the attachment of the cruise control cable where the throttle cables terminate. I'll need to physically inspect the throttle assembly and its clearance with surrounding components, but the following diagram from the repair manual looks promising.

[​IMG]

I've also poured over the wiring diagram and have managed to locate every required connection except for a tacho signal. As mentioned in another thread, I don't consider this a major issue as by using the NSS wire there are sufficient other ways to disable the cruise control namely:
    • cruise control power off
    • rear brake on
    • front brake on
    • clutch in
    • neutral gear
    • sidestand down
    I've also had to include a relay for the brake signal as the LED brake lights on this bike will not provide the path to earth that the cruise control needs to see to operate correctly. The following is the current draft of the circuit diagram I am developing. Let me know if it looks as though I have messed anything up or have missed something major.

[​IMG]

With regards to finding somewhere to mount the cruise control servo, unfortunately the S10 doesn't have the space in the left fairing area to mount it where it fit nicely in my Wee Strom so I'll have to look elsewhere. This weekend I will open the guts of the bike up and look for suitable mounting locations and cable run routes.
  2. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. R3B

R3B Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Here you have a photo of the actual throttle bodies and their placement;

[​IMG]
  4. SuperCruise

Oddometer:
    Thank you muchly. :clap From your picture, it looks like plenty of space on the left there to run and attach the cruise control cable.
  5. Gandalf17

Gandalf17 n00b

Oddometer:
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    SuperCruise have you talked to your fellow aussies at www.mccruise.com? They do excellent plug and play electronic cruise for a range of bikes.. maybe they have something in the works for the S10.

7. SuperCruise

Oddometer:
    Thanks but I've checked them out in the past and they lost me with their CC solutions approaching A$1000 and you still have to install them yourself or get someone to install them on top of that cost. I reckon my implementation will cost A$300 max if it works, just like with the V-Strom home-grown solution. If I am successful, maybe they'll contact me for some sort of business arrangement. :evil :deal
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'll be following your thread closely :thumb

9. SuperCruise

Oddometer:
    Alrighty, today is surgery day for my S10's cruise control operation. First up is finding a place to locate the cruise control unit. I did find what seems to be a nice spot for it underneath the fuel tank as shown here:

[​IMG]

Here's what it looks like when I jimmy the cruise control unit in there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a fairly snug fit, but with the tank down and the air filter box back on there is adequate clearance for the fuel pump and its attachments to hang down where they need to without obstruction and the radiator hose is a good 1cm from it. The cruise control unit also sits in an upright direction, as it is supposed to, but angled nicely for its wiring loom and control cable to run up alongside the right hand side of the airbox for looping around to the left where the throttle cable is connected. It's hard to take a picture with the tank down, but here's one I took from the right hand side to show clearance when closed:

[​IMG]

This only issue I can see with this location is that it takes some of the airspace around the alternator (first pic, bottom-left, silver thingy) but I still reckon it's got enough space left for cooling purposes. I'm going to have a look at whether under the seat is another location possibility but I don't think I'll be able to mount the cruise control unit near vertical as it is supposed to be mounted. In the meantime, can anyone see any major flaws with using the location I have just identified?
  10. SuperCruise

Oddometer:
    Checked out the under seat location and unfortunately there is neither enough room nor the ability to orientate the control unit in a vertical position. Played around with the under tank location a bit more and I am very happy how this will fit and with the bonus that it will be nicely hidden away.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Unfortunately, I hit a snag with trying to connect the cruise control cable to the throttle linkage. Here's a picture of the top half of what I was playing with:<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    Just looking at the picture, you might expect that twisting the throttle would rotate the linkage clockwise. However, the linkage works the other way, with a throttle twist turning the linkage counter clockwise. This has the effect of making the business side of the cruise control cable underneath the throttle linkage where access is somehat tight.<o:p></o:p>
    The first thing I tried was to connect a loop connector to the accelerator T-connector, but unfortunately the fit of the original connector was so tight that there was no way it would accommodate another cable being looped around it.<o:p></o:p>
    Next up was to try to utilise a spare hole already drilled in the throttle linkage by looping a loop connector through. While this fitted, the connection would not reliably stay within the cable slot and could become ineffective in its ability to pull the throttle linkage.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG] <o:p></o:p>
    There are only two realistic options left that I can see, the first being to drill a hole in the tang shown in the following picture and connect an eyelet connector underneath. I am hesitant to drill while I am in the prototype stage, so I'll reserve this one to be my last best hope.<o:p></o:p>
    The other option is to go back to the top of the throttle assembly and instead pull to the left instead of the right from somewhere near the little tang on the top right of the throttle linkage.<o:p></o:p>
    Anyway, it's wine o'clock now so I've left the uncomfort of the garage for the comfort of the lounge with a glass (or 2) of red wine. If anyone has any suggestions regarding what I have done so far or for what I could look at for tomorrow's garage session, I'd much appreciate it.<o:p></o:p>
  11. Gandalf17

Gandalf17 n00b

Oddometer:
    Could you just loop around the arm on the throttle and go out the back underside? Is the concern that it would slip off without tapping into the arm?

I put an Audiovox on my FZ1 and it had a similar arm that I looped around and have never had any issues.

(Can't attach image to show what I mean. Upload keeps failing on a 54k image :kboom )
  12. R3B

R3B Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Why not open the loop into a circle, take the normal cable loose, put the loop at the closed hole side of the throtle rocker, and put the normal cable end in its place?
  13. SuperCruise

Oddometer:
    That's something that I could try for the prototype stage, then if the whole system works well I can consider making it more secure by tapping into the arm. And yes, the concern is security as I would not be happy that, long term, something could work itself off and possible jam the throttle in an open position.

And ditto for me with attaching images being a nogo. I have to resort to using photobucket.
  14. SuperCruise

Oddometer:
    I think I understand what you are suggesting. ie. to use the existing cable as some means of holding the loop properly in place. I'll have a play this morning.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :clap
  15. SuperCruise

Oddometer:
    I tried R3B's suggestion first as I was almost there with what I already had. Hooking the loop cable under the throttle cable kept the loop cable in place and there are no more significant concerns of the cable catching on the lower tang. Here's a picture of how I hooked it under:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I am going to have to put this project on hold for the next two weeks as shortly I am going away for a holiday to WA. Nonetheless, I reckon I'm getting reasonably close to a prototype solution that I hope to be testing out on the road not long after I get back. Thanks everyone for the interest and the help in this project.
  16. R3B

R3B Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    What i ment was like this, so that the cables have a free movement at full throttle (although it would not be verry sensible to let the CC stand full throttle...)

[​IMG]

Sorry for the dirty pictures but its old thrash, on which one can experiment freely :-)

So open up the loop, make it flat sideways, put it at the closed side, then push the original gascable end home in its place, and lay the original cable at the "bottom" in the rocker rut
  17. mobyfubar

mobyfubar cd /;rm -rf * Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, that's OK. I don't need to know how to do this until May. :rofl

I'm very interested in this, so thanks for posting it. Have a great holiday! :thumb
  18. Gandalf17

Gandalf17 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey SuperCruise,

:wave

Any update on your CC project?
  19. SuperCruise

Oddometer:
    Been busy with work for the last few weeks and likely the next few more&#12290; I am still keen on getting this project working. Stay tuned.
  20. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    Hmm this is interesting. I wonder, just for the sake of wondering, if this will work. If this is a throttle-by-wire bike, one would like to think there is some sort of software/firmware whereby if the actual position of the throttle plate is different than the "requested" position (via the throttle grip), the ECU shuts the fun down and puts the bike into limp-home mode because it thinks there's a big problem with the TBW system.

Meaning, if the cruise control cable were holding the throttle open and you let go of the grip and it sprung back close, would the bike go apeshit? :D