Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. blown7.3lps

blown7.3lps Brian

Oddometer:
    is there a link to were there are good steps to adjusting valves on these bikes? what does the dealer charge ruffly for this job?

oh, and anyone selling there rear passenger foot pegs?
  2. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    Selling.... no.... If I can find them in the morning you can have them.

I'll send them flat rate USPS.... You gotta send me something cool from Texas USPS.......So were square on shipping charges...:deal :lol3
  3. SuperSize

SuperSize Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how much 250X moto wheels are selling for (tires only have 600miles)? I have an X I might sell or get the off-road wheels from Warp9 here in Salt Lake. It seems the R models sell much better.

James
  4. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    There's a decent writeup in HF's athena kit build thread.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621532

I let my local dirt shop do mine, they had a maintenance package for dirt bikes that including a valve adjustment. $200 if I remember.
  5. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 votes for Tusk... good enough for me! Ordered.

Never messed with suspension guts before, but the video makes it look like a straight forward procedure.

Now to make a home-made seal driver and fluid sucker-outer.
  6. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    PVC pipe cut in 1/2 worked installing mine.
  7. rydnseek

rydnseek reluctant poster

Oddometer:
    +1

I used Tom's custom 'tool' to put my seals in too.. at 'Tom's seal & Fork Shop' there in prescott. Just tap the pvc (i think it was 2") with a flat, neat cut, & it presses the seal into place. Less than an hour & we had new seals, seal guards, & fork oil.

Tom wouldn't go for the tusk seals, though.. he insisted on the higher priced ones, claiming you get what you pay for. I don't know, but went with Tom's considerable wisdom & experience.

Tom had a nice video from somewhere that showed a step by step procedure.. it was nice for some details, especially getting the old seal out.. there are a couple of tips to make it easier. Maybe he can look those up & post the link, if anyone's interested. See how generous i am volunteering Tom's services? :)
  8. Yaozer

Yaozer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I blew the 30 amp fuse tonight by the red cable that connects to the battery. I was fiddling with some of the wiring for the Eastern Beaver Three Circuit Solution. I had everything buttoned up, and it blew. At first, I thought my screwdriver caused a short. I put two more 30 am fuses in after fiddling and disconnecting all wires from the three circuit solution. The only thing connected at that point was the negative and positive battery cables to a ballistic battery (which worked fine), and the fuse blew almost instantly.

Let me say that electrical on the bike is not my forte. In short, I'm not sure where to begin to find the short.I have been traced a few wires, but I don't see anything bare touching. Is it possible that the red cable wire is bad? Here is a photo of the green 30 amp fuse that I blew right next to the cable.

[​IMG]
    IMAG0398 by YaozersStuff, on Flickr

I'm at a loss here. Any ideas? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
  9. blown7.3lps

blown7.3lps Brian

Oddometer:
    sounds good, but what to send....

:ear

10. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rockymountainmc has a section with instructional video's. You can find the how to install seals there.
  11. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Electrical gremlins are hard to diagnose through photos or a description.

Understanding what causes the fuse to blow may help you track down the fault. If the positive cable contacts ground, that completes a circuit, and the fuse blows to protect the wiring and electrical gizmo attached to it. If the fuse blows once, maybe, maybe, you had a bad fuse; but if it blows multiple times, you have a fault in the wiring. Resist the temptation to install a higher amperage fuse, as some might tell you to do. You're gonna have to take some time and track down the culprit.

First step, have you removed all of the add on Eastern Beaver wiring and any accessory wiring (battery tender, cigarette lighter, GPS, etc.)? Not just disconnected, but removed?

This should leave nothing but the factory wiring.

If the main fuse is blowing instantly when you insert it, with the ignition off, you have a fault in the battery circuit, not the ignition circuit.

The negative terminal of the battery and the negative battery cable should have nothing to do with this situation, unless you have somehow bridged the negative cable and the positive one. I doubt that you did that.

So, I would focus my interest on the positive terminal and positive cable. At some point, it is contacting ground (frame tube, bolt head, something). If the fuse is blowing instantly and violently, the connection to ground must be a significant one and should be readily identifiable.

If you are certain the battery is good, then:

Check the battery positive terminal to make sure it is not somehow contacting a meatal ground part. Is the battery installed properly? Did you flip/flop negative and positive orientation?

Pull the fuse, and follow the positive cable starting from the battery. Check every spot the cable could be rubbed raw and be contacting a metal part that goes to ground. At the relay that is actually the center of your picture, make sure all connections are tight and there is nothing that connects the wiring or connections right to ground. Continue to follow the positive cable to the starter and check for the same.

If that fails, well, I can't diagnose the problem remotely.... good luck.
  12. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    Found the pegs. You'll need to get bolts from your local hardware store.

How about a bottle of locally available hot sauce or something :dunno, or a funny bumper sticker.........

PM your address, I'll send them out some time this week.
  13. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi GM, have you received your plate? I ordered mine Monday, and haven't seen it yet. Most of my orders from Motorcycle Superstore have come in 3 days. I'm just wondering if they are back ordered.
  14. Longboardr

Longboardr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I jumped on board for one of these too. I ordered one on Monday morning. They sent a UPS ship notice on Thursday and I should receive it on Monday.
  15. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are trying to find one of these bikes to ride before we buy one. This will be for my wife. Her previous bike was an 04' TTR 250 that had a pipe and a JD Jetting kit in it. We live in McKinney, TX (North of Dallas). I ride a 08' KTM 530 EXCR and she said that was a bit much for her.

Any help is appreciated.
  16. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cycra Pro Bend.....Anyone have feedback on install with center mounting kit for a 1 1/8" bar ?
  17. jglow

jglow Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer:

I am just East of Mckinney, off of Hwy 380. I have an 08' that y'all are more than welcome to come ride. Shoot me a pm.

Jordan
  18. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks jglow. PM'd
  19. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    About $700
  20. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All good info. I'll add that blowing a 30 amp fuse will most likely cause a noticeable spark/arc. Take a new fuse, and get the bike into a very low light area. Have somebody else with you for another set of eyes, and jam that new fuse in there. You should see a flash of light before the fuse blows directing you to the short.