L.A.-PERU-L.A. (laperula)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by XR Valdeez, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All the best on your trip, hope everything works out fine. :clap

Will be watching for your PM.
  2. LU-E

LU-E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck Steve, and be safe! Just remember to look under the hood before you "test drive". You know what I mean.:D

Louie
  3. Rennis

Rennis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey hey no test driving without my permission lol
  4. HBLARRY

HBLARRY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Steve and Bruce,
    Great send off eh? I certainly enjoyed discussing the ride from Peru to L.A. with you guys at Jeff's. Sounds like a great adventure. I'm glued to this thread now......send along those pics and have an exciting ride.

HBLARRY

5. B~girl

B~girl n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow sounds awful work made you take your vacation! :deal Hope you two have an awesome time, have a safe trip! Sorry I missed you at the shop but hope to see you when you get back! (bgirl - aka Rum)
  6. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gaston, Thanks for the info as well! We definitely want to take alternate routes where we can. Great resources!

In the end, if riding to Cusco won't work, we'll do the "tourist" thing and fly.
    :twitch We hope to RIDE!!!

Our "To Do" list for the trip has gotten quite small. One update is that we have been officially turned into pin cushions and are hopefully immune any sicknesses we might encounter. Our sore arms will attest to that!

Friends of mine keep coming up to me and asking if we're crazy for doing this trip!?! I have seen similar issues like this with other inmates here on ADV. There's always the "don't you know how dangerous this is", "aren't you worried about getting robbed" and the always ominous "can I be listed as your insurance beneficiary". I just tell them that we are only here for a certain period of time and you have to make the most out of that time. So shut up and RIDE!

One of my goals, because you always have to have a goal, is to sample the local beers from every place we go!
    :dutch

As we got ready for this endeavor, we started with "what to bring"......
    :deal[/quote]

Bruce, don't worry what people say. I was 4.5 month in Lima, Cusco etc... (as you know). Never saw robbery, crime or bad attitude.
    Peru is safe everywhere as long you don't do obvious mistakes, leaving the bike alone for too long in big cities. People will be friendly and curious all the time. Yes, Lima is busy and messy on the traffic, but is just about that.
    Farmers and indigineous are very private but ready to help when you need it.

Enjoy it
  7. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 to what GastonUSAChile said.

Be careful of the traffic though, assume nothing and don´t take chances. There a lot of insane drivers in Lima.
  8. Meatloaf

Meatloaf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well you guys are off this morning. Have a safe flight down and safe ride back up. See you both when you get back for a cool one.
  9. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BlueBull,

I see that you are in Lima, sad didn't meet you. I found out yesterday that the RALLY DAKAR 2011 again to be in Argentina & Chile. Probably is good thing to start organizing something good . I am currently in Miami with my family but my head still knocking Peru and Chile for me.

Regarding the insane drivers in Peru, the good thing is they are manageable. I promised when I was living there that I was bringing a beisbol bat. Not to use it for fun but against those cars not waiting for you to cross the street. I hit with my foot at least 4 cars passing by but since my shoes were getting scratched I decide to do a come back with a bat. (Next trip)

And be ready riders to wear the ORANGE JACKET and TAG STICKER IN THE HELMET. The law is signed but doesn't say nothing about tourist exceptions. In any case, I would wear it just in case. The police on the roads are bribes and probably the law will be interpreted as their please.
  10. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We made it! We're in Cusco right now. Flew into Lima last night, had a quick stay there then was up early to eat and fly up to Cusco. Still draggin' from the flying. I've tried to download pictures from Cusco to here, but i was only able to get one to take. The others failed to download, maybe a weak wi-fi connection, i'm not sure. Heres Bruce and I having breakfast in our hotel in Lima. 21st floor, quite the view!

[​IMG]

It's raining here pretty good. We're heading to the Sacred Valley tomorrow, then on to Aguas Calientes for two nights. I'll try to post some more pics tomorrow when we get settled.

Bikes are supposed to arrive on Monday, but we'll see. We have now been told to expect up to a SIX day delay in getting them out!!!!!! :eek2

We cannot wait to be riding. We have found that our gear is definitely set up for a bike based type trip. We have adapted and are overcoming. I think I need more BEER! I'll get a SPOT update tomorrow as well.
  11. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm the six days, it sounds all too familiar. You guys must enjoy the weekend, next week is going to be an excersize in patience and tenacity.
  12. Rennis

Rennis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap
  13. irishdec

irishdec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dammit ,my right hand is that funny thing ,,guess its that time of the year,,and we're gonna get 24 degrees here in Toronto on Sat !!
  14. Flyingavanti

Flyingavanti With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer:
    Just got back from another month in Peru..... (have not yet posted pictures).....

One thing you may want to do, is get a hold of Gravity Assist, and do a little downhill riding... it was a blast! They are about 2 blocks Northeast of the Main Plaza... near the Novatell Hotel....

Enjoy peru.... we sure did! :clap
  15. MarGyver

MarGyver Ruteros De Chiapas

Oddometer:
    Good look Guys¡¡¡ I´m in Tuxtla Gutierrez Chiapas Mexico really close from Guatemala´s border... so any help you need here, just ask!

Regards
  16. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your trip!:lurk
  17. Pandora

Pandora Adventurer

Oddometer:
    woohoo! :wings
  18. skyline

skyline n00b

Oddometer:
    :D Eric here. Have fun and take LOTS of pictures. Eric
  19. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
  20. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Steve, the link to your SPOT page in your signature is still broken. There's an extra http:// in the beginning. But even when that is removed, the rest of the link is not correct. If you can, please fix that or post a link to your SPOT tracking page so we can follow along all day long! Otherwise, all we get is your OK messages, and nothing more.

Have fun, and I hope your bikes arrive soon!