New Kawasaki Versys 1000 in 2012

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Shouk, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Dust_

Dust_ Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Let's revive this thread!

I know it's not an off-road worthy bike, so there are other forums more fit for it but, I'll let you know my experience.

I have a 650 Versys 2010 and have been thinking of upgrading it. That said, I have test-driven most of the newer bikes out there. I've driven the Moto Guzzi Norge 1200, the Honda Crosstourer for 212km, the new WC BMW R1200GS, the Aprilia Caponord 1200, the KTM 1190 Adventure and lastly the Kawasaki Versys 1000.

Well, much for my surprise, it was the kawi that made my heart race!!! Sure, all other bikes were pretty dam good, sure, I loved testing them but, if they all were priced the same (or if price didn't matter) I'd pick the Versys 1000. It was the onçly I finished the test-drive saying: "It'll be my next bike".

Why you might ask? Well, to each it's own, and you probably don't share the same view, but that motor is SWEET. It has an amazing torque, pulling from low revs all the way up, making you grin along the way! It corners pretty dam well and, for a newb like me, the suspensions were spot on! Confort was superb, wind protection was par to the BMW and it's fuel range is adequate (KTM's better but after 350km I think I deserve a break:rofl)

Being that, in Portugal, the Versys 1000 is, at least, 3.000€ cheaper than the others (KTM, HONDA and APRILIA) and a whooping 8.000€ cheaper than the BMW, my choice is pretty obvious.

From the others... Moto Guzzi Norge is a sweet ride, a true tourer, but it's a little out-dated, Honda Crosstourer I just felt... BIG (being 1.70m) and HEAVY, Aprilia Caponord 1200 was really nice ride but it sure eats up gas and it was made to a price point (buttons felt cheap, plastic covers flimsy), BMW R1200GS is really well made and it's a torque monster, probably the best bike of the bunch but way too expensive, and too jerky, kawasaki's I-4 is just smoother (though I was really impressed with the progress they made regarding this new version). KTM's 1190 is a hell of a machine, but with a sport driven engine I felt like I had to pull it too up the revs to awake him. The way kawasaki's gears are done, you have all the power you need lower in the rev range than even the KTM's 2-V.

Well, let's see some photos of your's

I'll give you 1 of each test-drive ;D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Just bought on so Ill keep it living a little :D
  3. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for the 1000 to sit another year or so, then I'm jumping on it. I got an amazing deal on my versys because it was sitting. I expect the same thing with the 1000. What a sweet bike. Here all anybody rides are chromed up cruisers. Not bad ass touring bikes.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk 2
  4. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:

Yep I got 4300$ off sticker for a leftover 2012. :clap
  5. kojack

Oddometer:
    That is another reason I am a huge kawasaki nut. The local dealer. I get 20% off all parts, and get amazing deals on product. Got my klr for 4899 on the road, and my versys for 6899 on the road.

6. aquadog

aquadog Dude Buddha

Oddometer:
    My care parcel arrived from A Vicious Cycle, now to find the time to install on my V1000 - rad guard, engine guards, center stand, skid plate, hand guards. It's Christmas!
  7. kojack

Oddometer:
    Was at the dealership yesterday and they have the v1000 and the s10 right next to each other. Just sitting on them you can really feel the 50lb diet the versys went on. The seating position is much better on the v1000 as well. I think the only place the s10 is better is on really rough dirt. Other than that versys all the way.

That would be lessened with a set of off road wheels too.

8. aquadog

aquadog Dude Buddha

Oddometer:
    You're just power mad... :evil People talk about inline fours having no character. I like the 4 cylinder wail, and if it's pulling my arms straight, do I care that it doesn't, ah, throb between my legs?
  9. kojack

Oddometer:
    I4 have lots of character. Smooth linear power. Love it.

10. dedecaster

dedecaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just returne from my first long week-end with the V-1000.2000 kms. in New-England.This bike is more than I expect.I take the kankamagus hyway,( rt.112 in N-H.) the east side with mom as a passenger and 2 larges givi full.I let the bike stay in 6 th gear all the way to the top.Very impressive.And in the rain, all my lower body ( waist ,legs and foots) stay dry. I love this bike.
  11. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:

I concur on these comments. The bike does a good job diverting the raiin awy. Better than a Vstrom.

In fact I also went to New England last weekend. I went to NYC thrhu VT - NH and CT using the side routes.

Let me know next time we go somewhere together and I have all my fridays off for the next 8 weeks.

Jean-François
  12. vaslyk

vaslyk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I stupidly started another Versys 1000 thread under Road Warriors, but as I like my Versys I thought of presenting my few photos here as well to keep this thread going.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Cheers!<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
  13. Dust_

Dust_ Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike, can't understand how so many dish them because of the looks, then again, I do have the 650 :D
  14. JRE

JRE Yo

Oddometer:
    Any more on when we might see these stateside?
  15. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are known to come to the states every once in a while. :D I rode mine thru Columbus OH saturday on my way back home.

But honestly they dont sell super well here so chances are they wont sell them in the US.

Great bike btw, love mine.
  16. dedecaster

dedecaster Adventurer

Oddometer:

Sorry.This summer, I have all my mondays off.:puke1
  17. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer is already over :(
  18. robfilms

robfilms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i apologize in advance if this has already been asked but...

...can a versys 1k be purchased in canada and registered in the united states, in my case new york state?

if so, what are the added hassles and added costs that i need to go through?

thanks in advance to those who care to share.

be well.

rob
  19. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many of us wish that was the case with many bikes, sadly it is not unless the bike is for racing or museum use only, ie never registered for use on public roads.

It sucks, foreigners can buy bikes here and take them home to ride, this happens on a very large scale. But we cannot do the same for bikes/cars purchased outside the country.
  20. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can ask the guyz who have brought other CDN models into the US.

It has been done.