Grand Junction area Rides & Riders thread

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Greg@RME, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Greg@RME

Greg@RME Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought we could use a thread to put together local rides for Adv'ers around Grand Junction, CO. I realize there have been a few Meet & Greets and a handful of local rides in the past, hopefully we can use this thread to plan future rides and hold Meet & Greets at the trailhead. :wink: I have met a handful of local riders, but haven't had a chance to get out and ride with anyone from here yet.

I'm on a DR650 that has been built up for long distance riding and I 'aint scared of a long day in the saddle. I'd like to do more overnighters, have some ideas for Moab, etc.

Feel free to check in and put together a ride! I'm tied up for the next few weekends myself, but would love to put together a ride in early October.
  2. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Here's my suggestion... 2 day ride over the 1st or 2nd weekend in Oct, I can do a combination of Friday, Sat or Sunday. Meet at Glade Park, ride into Utah and the Dolores Triangle, down Sheep Creek Rd into Gateway and take John Brown Canyon over to Moab by was of the La Sals, taking the Southern route over Geyser Pass. Camp in Moab that night and ride something the next day, TBD. Could do the White Rim, Lockhart, whatever... there's a ton of options!

Ride back home on the end of day 2 up Hwy 128 to the turnoff for the Kokopelli Trail. Ride the 1/3 of the Koko back to the Grand Valley. Or back over the La Sals to Gateway and up the Hwy to Grand Junction.

Anyone interested?
  3. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greg,

This makes me wish I still lived in Junction. I might be tempted to come over from Denver for this ride though. I too ride a DR650 with large tank and comfortable seat for the long days. Let me know as it gets closer and you know the dates for sure.

John
  4. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Sounds good John! I have a hard time planning more than 2 weeks in advance... guess it's my fear of commitment. :lol3
  5. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    I also would be interested in this ride. Do you ride like a fu$#@$ maniac or are you a let's ride and look at things as we go rider?:D
  6. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    A DR650 with a 8 gallon tank isn't a race bike! :evil I'm a pretty mellow rider, I like to ride at a decent pace and slow down when needed.
  7. Ozzie

Ozzie OZZIE

Oddometer:
    Greg, I would be up for this too. Just started riding again after my exciting smash a couple of months ago.

Oz
  8. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Sounds great Ozzie! Good to hear you're riding again, keep healing!
  9. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    I'm in Greg.:thumb
  10. Q500

Q500 velvet hammer

Oddometer:
    I'm in let us know what the plan is! Day trips are better for me. Triple digits on dirt gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
  11. jaybob

jaybob Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to be in GJ October 8 - 11th sans motor.

Any mountain bikers in the midst?

J
  12. motoracer51

motoracer51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in GJ and might be down for the ride ( if my bike is back together by then).

jaybob-

I'm a roadie, but also have a MB that hasn't seem much use since I moved out here. Where are you planning on riding?
  13. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    I'm back in town now and hoping to have the 950SE back in riding shape soon (waiting on that long overdue clutch to come in).

Hey, i'm alway up for a meet-up or ride (or both).

Status: 950SE - well, I already talked about that one; 625SXC - engine died one day before I left on vacation and could be a bad one (have to tear the engine apart to find out); 650 Dakar - good to go for now.

Let's spill some beer over it and discuss.

Uli
  14. Q500

Q500 velvet hammer

Oddometer:
    Its the first weekend in October in 2 days.

15. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sorry about that, I've been working a lot... obviously no ride this weekend. I'll be working this weekend instead of preparing for a ride next weekend. :(:

How about next weekend? Ride Saturday and Sunday, I'm probably going to stay thru Monday since I have it scheduled off.
  16. Q500

Q500 velvet hammer

Oddometer:
    How about to Goblin valley?

17. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    Goblin Valley would be fun, but at this point I have a different destination in mind. I want to explore South of Moab.

Here's my plan... at this point it may change, but I hope it doesn't. Leave for Moab on Friday afternoon, by way of Gateway and the La Sals, as outlined eairlier. Stay in Moab friday night, probably at a campground for the showers, possibly a hotel if I'm feeling rich.

Saturday head to Hurrah Pass, then Elephant Hill and Beef Basin. Check out Dark Canyon and possibly Natural Bridges if time allows. Camp around Comb Wash.

Sunday explore the Moki Dugway, Comb Wash, Arch Canyon and the town of Bluff. Find a campground in Bluff or Blanding for the night.

Monday head home, would probably be lots of highway riding, perhaps ride thru the La Sals to Gateway again, then up Unaweep canyon into GJ.

I realize that is more than the 2 day ride that was first planned, but I really want to get a big ride in before it gets too cold and the time off from work just fell together for me. If anyone still wants to join me, you're more than welcome, otherwise this will be a solo trip for me!
  18. Q500

Q500 velvet hammer

Oddometer:
    I'm out work related stuff came up for Saturday. My wife and I are going to ride the grand mesa before the snow comes in. Good luck!
  19. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    I did a modified version of this ride over the weekend, Ride Report posted here- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517284
  20. Greg@RME

Oddometer:
    This thread is a few years old, but I figured I'd bump it back up and try find some locals to ride with this weekend.

I'd like to get out on my DR650 this weekend, just a day ride. Thinking of heading from Fruita towards Moab, using some of the Kokopelli. Probably run into Moab for fuel, then head back. Anyone interested in a ride? Saturday or Sunday, either one is fine by me. I may end up heading out solo... just want to get out and ride!