Help with oill filter removal!!!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by qman8, Jan 1, 2013.

1. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    :huh
    A quick forum search revealed no related items.....
    I just cant seem to get the damn oil filter off my 09 1200GS. I've tried the old screwdriver poked thru it method ...just ripped it up and it did not budge. I broke TWO filter wrenches...One while trying to torque it off with a 1/2 inch ratchet! I was using all the muscle I had at that time when it snapped! I had let the bike cool for several days after the oil drain before I was able to get back at trying to remove the filter. Would a cold (winter) engine and filter prevent me from turning this damn thing??? Cant run the engine to heat things up now with a broken filter !
    The dealer put the last filter on...maybe he used a friggin impact driver!!!????

One person suggested buying the cup type wrench and drilling several holes thru it and thru the bottom of the filter, then run sheet metal screws thru both, and then try wrenching it!
    That might be my next try!

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks
  2. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    Ive used the 3 screws method before, straight up into the filter, and outside of the center 1" or so to avoid the mounting boss

just be careful down there.

I recall reading where someguy used the screwdriver through the filter method and cracked the engine case down there.
  3. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    With all that effort....are you sure:

You're TURNING in the correct direction?

Left to loosey...Right to tightee?

Otherwise...never mind.
  4. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    I've had one fight me on my 1150, before I tore up the filter too much I welded a nut on the filter and got that thing out of there, put it on myself and can't explain why it wouldn't come off. :scratch
  5. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Unless BMW has left-hand threads on the filter....I wouldnt put such a thing past those Teutonic geniuses. These are the same guys who designed the 3 different fasteners to secure the bash plate!
    Looking at the new filter's threads, NO, I was turning (or trying to turn) in the proper direction.

6. kimokk

kimokk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you try a strap wrench? It might be tight but worth a try. Maybe heat up the filter with mini butane torch.
  7. Happy BMW

Happy BMW Litter Box

Oddometer:
    can you post a picture that would help a little. when yu put new filters on are you lubeing the filter first?
  8. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read his post:
    "The dealer put the last filter on...maybe he used a friggin impact driver!!!???"
  9. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Go to autozone and the the wrench adapter that has 3 fingers that hand down and gets progressively tighter on any oil filter as you tighten/loosen.
  10. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Won't fit.

Weld nut on end of filter, take off, done. :deal
  11. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gas weld or electric?
    If electric I'd be real careful where the ground is placed. Lots of possible issues with the bikes electronics.
  12. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would an overnight soak in a releasing agent help?
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    At this point your rubber seal is "welded" for lack of a better term, to your motor case.

By your description I assume the filter is now somewhat shredded? If so, remove what is left of the can and expose the baseplate. Use a couple screws through a steel filter tool into the baseplate. Make sure they are short and thick. Then you can twist it off. I suggest turning it tighter slightly if possibe first. Heat might help as well.

Jim :brow
  14. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    a pair of these and some heat as Jim suggests

[​IMG]
  15. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

MIG, clamp ground to nut, weld on, no issue.

Don't think those pliers will fit on the 1200, better than the 1150, don't think they'll grab.

Chisel and hammer on the filter base plate.
  16. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    I see expensive repairs in your New Year. Careful with welding and chisels. JVB only viable safe option. You have been warned.
  17. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Similar approach to Larryboy here, but a reuseable part.
    After you have exhausted the other suggestions like dilling 3 screws thru your filter wrench.....after all else fails, I would used a die grinder and cut the end cap of the filter off and gut out the filter element until you can see up inside the filter.
    You should then see the other side of the filter mounting plate. It will have the threaded center post that the filter spins onto and then the outer cirlce of smaller holes. Measure the distance accross the holes...lets say they are 1.5" accross center to center. I would get a 1.5" nut at the hardware store then 2 bolts maybe 3/4" long by 1/4" thread and weld them on the nut. You can grind down the threads of the bolt until they fit in 2 of the holes in the plate.

I would then put a socket on the 1.5" nut and an extension on a 1/2" ratchet and turn it out....If you make the 1/4" bolts too long they may break if it is that tight so keeping them as short as possible would be good.

I hope that makes sense.
  18. fastgpfred

fastgpfred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @ Kellymac530....clever idea. No chance of running screws in too far. Then buy K&N KN-164 replacements.Anyone interested in a used BMW filter wrench?
  19. johnny80s

johnny80s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Works every time on every bike I have owned.

[​IMG]
  20. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    That's EXACTLY what I did.....and that's EXACTLY the filter wrench that broke!

Bent and snapped one of the fingers off like an old twig!:eek1