650 Burgman goes down

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by westnash, Sep 16, 2009.

1. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friend just had a 650 Burgman w/23,000 go down. The tranny bearing went and it requires a disassembly of the machine. It will end up about $4,000 in parts and labor. The normal belt adjustment at 20,000 alsorequirs major disassembly.

For a machine that is supposed to be economical this is a nightmare with the stupid auto/manual shifts with power module.

Suzuki seems to be running from providing help even though it was documented with tranny problems while in warranty. Beware.
  2. ernest t bass

ernest t bass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crash It.
  3. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the Burgman 650 had a maintenance free chain final drive in an oil bath arrangement (when it works) and it was the 400 that needed a new belt every 15,000 miles. $4000 seems a bit steep. That's disappointing to hear.
  4. ernest t bass

ernest t bass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suzuki should do more in that situation.

A reputation for expensive maintenance is hard to live down.
  5. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ouch.
    All that gee whiz stuff is fine on bikes like the Burgerking 650 but when it needs major repairs it will empty your pocket book. I don't believe in extended warranties but a $4000 repair bill on a scooter that might be worth $5000 would change my mind.
  6. ronnath

ronnath Long timer

Oddometer:
    you didn't mention which model year it is. depending upon the age, a 4 grand repair bill might be more than the bike is worth.
  7. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    No. It uses a straight-cut gear final drive in export markets, and a helical-cut gear final drive in the domestic market, where I believe its called the Skywave scooter.
    [​IMG]

The Dry Hybrid Belt (in the SECVT-controlled CVT pulleys) which uses rubber tension members embedded in H-shaped, high-strength aluminium blocks covered with resin is normally a good-for-the-life-of-the-scooter item.

Breakdowns happen! I lost the oil from the final drive in the Majesty YP400 I rode some years back and those repairs cost me some $1,500AUD. Then I only received $3,500 Trade value when I changed over to a Honda VT750 Shadow. (Majesties retail for $9,500 or so here)
  8. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    consider having you find use http://consumerist.com to complain about it. There info there on how to get the head peoples of any companies email address and write them. Eg. Wall mart screw up one guys trany by filling it with the wrong stuff and once it hit the site it got fixed 2 weeks latter. Up to that point they didn't do anything about it. Also consider finding one that has been hit and buying the engine. Google salvage motorcycles auctions.
  9. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's an '06
  10. kingdm54

kingdm54 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah because consumer reports NEVER lies and anything.....BTW Suzuki sued CR for the Samuri story they made up so I don't think they will be very willing to talk to anyone from that site.
  11. ronnath

ronnath Long timer

Oddometer:

consumerist.com is not consumer reports. totally different outfit.
  12. kingdm54

Oddometer:
    That's good but they have CR adds on there site. Suzuki and a real sore spot for them and anyone who is affiliated with them. (I know because I worked for Suzuki for 5 years) <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I'm sorry your Burg blew a trans but I can tell you because of the age the chances are slim to none they will step up and help you (and yes it sucks). Unless you have been a VERY loyal customer in the past and the dealer is willing to go to bat for you. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
  13. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dont you think that because this problem was noted while it was under warranty and it has such a major issue at 23,000 miles that Suzuki should do something? I would discourage anyone to every buy a Suzuki scooter again.
  14. kingdm54

Oddometer:
    Here are some of the things most manufactures look for when offering out of wty assist. How long it has been out of wty ( in this case the scoot had a 12 month wty) how loyal was the customer to the dealer and yes they do look at if there were complints in the past.

The problem is it has been out of wty for almost 2 years. (correct me if I am wrong) you never told us if your friend has he services done at the dealer of out side. I know it should not matter but it does for goodwill.

But makeing statement to a MFG like " I would discourage anyone to ever buy a (what ever product) ever again" will get you shut down in a heart beat. No company wants to thorw good money to bad. If they feel they have lost the customer there is not point in helping. They would rather save what little budgets they have for someone that will remain a loyal customer.
  15. vintagemxr

vintagemxr old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer:
    Consumer Reports bought the Consumerist.com website several months ago. The website operates semi-independently but the "corporate effect" on the freewheeling style the site once had seems evident to me after reading the site for a couple of years.

Doug
  16. cruzer

cruzer n00b

Oddometer:
    This is admittedly the first 650 thread I've seen here.

I am active on the BurgmanUSA site.
    Obviously there are some tranny concerns which do appear to get blown out of all proportion and they are naturally of interest to all concerned.

As far as I'm able to make out there seem to have been 8, yes 8 transmission CVT failures. Pretty good considering.

Like every bike ever made there are ongoing issues, no one has yet to devise build and run a perfect machine.

I've owned 11 other bikes including 4 BMW's starting in '70. R60/5,r750/6,r100rs and r65. All were delicious and none of them were perfect.

Although I do see a BM/LT as possible, the Burgman650 is superb, answering the call to duty with aplomb. The LT is an option as my wife enjoys comfortable seating. She's never complained on the Burgy with it's sofa pillion seat. I enjoy her company. You know how they need stuff.

I've owned this one 4 years and it's not caused a moments' doubt in 23,000 miles. Ther are those who have in excess of 100k,still going strong.

I have very little to do other than change fluids,tires and such. It does keep up with very grunty bikes, doing excellent service. There are so many plusses with it. Many Ironbutt with them.

Even if I do get another steed I would want to keep the Burger too.

It's a wolf in sheep's clothing.
  17. Geezerider

Geezerider Just coastin'

Oddometer:
    Put an ad in BurgmanUSA's classified looking for a tranny. I've seen several wrecked 650's get parted out.