NCAA Hockey 2012-2013: Its the end of the WCHA as we know it!

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Crocodile Tears, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Opener is less than three months away!

Who's excited?!

I look forward to another strong showing by my Michigan Tech Huskies after a promising year last year and the WCHA coach of the year, rookie coach Mel Pearson coming into a new season.

I'm distraught by the end of proper hockey conferencing in the name of profits (/CSM) but I look forward to a strong year and hope the competition level stays as high as ever! :clap

Heres to MTU 2013 NCAA Champs!!!:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1

:lol3
  2. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm just waiting to hear whether Bjugstad goes pro or not. :patch Haula is in town for the Wild prospect camp. Apparently he weighed in a 189, so he put on a lot of weight this off-season.

The UMN team had a lot of freshman and sophomores last year, only lost a few players, and should be formidable this year. We'll see. :lurk
  3. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Two letters: BC
  4. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    I'll go for that.

After AFA and DU. :deal
  5. RLK

RLK KLR VFR

Oddometer:
    They can do what ever they want in the name of profit. As long as the cheap seats are <$13 and i'm drawing breath i'll want to be there.

[​IMG]
  6. Schatzman

Schatzman I Saved Latin

Oddometer:
    Lets go crimson!!!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  7. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Bjugstad is coming back!!! Some good quotes in this story about feeling he didn't perform to his potential in the tourney, wanting to finish his degree and try to win a championship.

:wings

http://www.gophersports.com/blog/2012/07/bjugstad-lucia-comment-on-bjugstad-staying-at-the-u.html

8. Range Motorsport

Range Motorsport Junk collector

Oddometer:
    Maybe the new rink will help them win.
  9. Crocodile Tears

Oddometer:
    Have they redone the Mac further? I've been out of the U.P. for a while now so I dont keep up too well on current events. I did see they are going with some "new" jerseys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Range Motorsport

Oddometer:
    Well there were new skyboxes added a few years ago and now they just removed the old floor and coolers and replaced them all with new models. It's a whole new floor in the McInnes.
  11. Range Motorsport

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-62ZQPfn-KQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. LaPorte 0715

LaPorte 0715 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    Sucks AFA plays CC and DU the same weekend the UNM Lobos travel to play AFA in football. And I have a conflict. :bluduh
  14. RLK

RLK KLR VFR

Oddometer:
    If you have some extra CC AFA tix, I know a guy... :augie
  15. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    With the NHL lockout, Gopher tickets are going to be fucking impossible to find. :baldy
  16. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    no tickets here. :wink:
  17. Jurgen

Oddometer:
    Went to watch MNF with a friend who is a big time Michigan Tech fan last night. Both of us are exiled far from College Hockey. Funny thing is, do to you guys, I knew more what was happening with the WCHA to NCHA than he did. :freaky

Do you think M-Tech would be a viable add? Or is it to small of arena? Other issues why they didn't take them already? :dunno

What do you think of Big10 hockey now as its own league?
  18. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    I think it was a shitty moneygrab by big schools sick of traveling to Alaska who wanted to schedule more home games at the expense of smaller markets. MN is trying to book some mid-season tournaments, and there will be sort of a local version of a beanpot, but I don't think we'll know for 3-5 years whether it was good or bad. :dunno
  19. Crocodile Tears

Oddometer:
    The way I figure, it's a tough spot to get to, a small arena (although recent years have seen significant investment in the team / facility), and the team has been down for a long time. For a while now tech has been just who you want if you need to get your team straightened out. Not exactly high end hockey conference material, even though there is a lot of history there. Last year was a bit of a flash with Pearson at the helm, and I'm hoping for continued success.

Unfortunately, with the WCHA being relegated to secondary conference standing, I think recruiting may be hurt, making that success hard to continue. Time will tell. Tech has a good rep as an engineering school and many of the sports players are there for it just as much as a sport. I guess we'll just have a nerdy hockey team :dunno
  20. LaPorte 0715

LaPorte 0715 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is still one more year of the WCHA and the CCHA as we know it. Also, I am pretty sure that the Alaskan teams must pay for all of the travel expenses of the visiting teams.
    Not looking forward to the added travel next year as I chase my kid around to watch the games in person.