SV1000 where ya all at?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Dalmatino, Feb 3, 2011.

1. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Garages at Pocono?? North Course?
  2. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope, New Jersey Motorsports Park - VIP Garage
  3. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    I knew I recogized them. Yeah. VIP as long as you pay for them. :D

NJMP on the SV1K:

Misplaced picture for now. :huh
  4. jesse v

jesse v Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Wow! that looks great. I agree with what you said as well.
  5. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
  6. skirecs

skirecs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If anyone is less than happy with clipons, convert to bars! I did yesterday and it is awesome. I can now ride more than 200 miles without my balls getting mashed and my back aching, and the bike is much lighter and maneuverable around town with the extra leverage.

I did it for about 150 dollars in the end, sv1000n triples, dl1000 clutch hose, sv650n brake hose
    some brake fluid, grease, t40 security torx and 8 inch phillips screwdriver got it done

about 5 hours of work, some of it is a little tedious but not all too difficult

[​IMG]
  7. pista

pista Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a complete conversion kit in my garage ready to go. Actually started taking it apart only to find I can't undo the phillips screw in the bar ends. In any case I'm hesitant to swap it out because I've heard that the throttle cable replacement can be nearly impossible to swap out on the throttle body side. Did you find that to be the case?
  8. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to cut one of my clip ons because my bar end would not come off for it's life! We tried everything, even made a BIG groove with a dremel on the bar end and the thing with all the force in the world would not spin. Good luck with that. This was during my GSXR conversion (I had new ready to install woodcraft clipons anyway).
  9. skirecs

skirecs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i tried everything to get the bar end screws out, in the end I took an angle grider to them until the heads were gone and the bar end could slide over the shank

ruined the ends but whatever

I re routed the throttle cables from the throttle tube side after seeing the throttle bodies, it would be a tremendous pain in the ass to remove

so much so that I would try with the stock cables even if I had extended ones available
  10. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    You can also turn the throttle tube set up so the cables come to the bottom instead of the top. That sometimes give you that extra 1/2 - 1" you need, to avoid getting longer cables from a place like Motion Pro.
  11. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did this and it worked like a charm.

But I just ordered the motionpro quick throttle kit for the hell of it anyway.
  12. ganze

ganze lone biker of the apocalypse

Oddometer:

I had to take a pair of vice grips and clamp the beast out of the bar end and break the screw loose with a screw driver while using the vice grips to unscrew the whole bar end. It went from stuck to off in no time with little effort.
  13. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    I too had an issue with the bar ends weights( Busa ones) that I had installed on my SV1K clip ons. I ended up drilling straight through and inserting a screw drive to get it off, and it was still a bear.
  14. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    If anyone knows where there is a clutch side cover, in good condition, please let me know. I have a good bit of corrosion on mine, and I need to take it off and repaint or PC it. I'd like to have another to either replace it with, or use in the interim.
  15. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    For those in NY: I had a custom license plate, "SV 1K".

Just a heads up that I didn't renew it, so this plate is back in circulation.
  16. ganze

ganze lone biker of the apocalypse

Oddometer:
    Every now and again I peel off the grinding stone and get away for a brain clearing kind of day. Last Thursday I rode out to my favorite abandoned and run down "town square" and sat and read for about three hours, had great barbecue, read for another hour and rode home.
    [​IMG]
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  17. optimum_malarky

optimum_malarky Premium nonsense

Oddometer:
    Anyone fitted hard luggage to their SV1000n? After going for a good ride this afternoon, I have a hard time imagining something better for quick sport-touring (especially on a tight budget). Rather than replace the bike, I'm thinking about fitting some luggage, a taller seat, Buell pegs, etc. to make the bike a long distance mile muncher!
  18. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Good stuff...looks like you caught your rhythm once your tires warmed up. :clap
  20. ekms377

ekms377 The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer:
    Sold this to a friend of mine who still rides it almost daily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dtysdalx2 likes this.