KLR 650 Modifications

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by VascoMerlin, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1. It will be interesting to see how long the replacement seals last on the worn rods.

One reason I went for the CD Moab shock several years ago is the $75 'tune-up' every 15K+ miles he offers to replace wear items to the original buyer.

Tell us more on the gas pressurization.
  2. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pressurization took all of 1 second.

Nitrogen tank with a 2 stage regulator set to 150psi. Used a basic double-sided air chuck (like you use for tires).

I clamped the shock vertically in the vise. Purged the air as described above while pressing the valve core. Release it when oil comes out.

Then add nitrogen. Small volume, so it fills instantaneously.
  3. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    * I wouldn't lower the pegs. They are low enough already and in particular with 2nd gen KLR
    *Rox risers are very nice. I went with 1" risers I had on hand.
    *Left the stock windshield
    *I added nearly 2" to my seat as well as widen it 2". Good for 300 mile days. For aftermarket Seat Concepts will custom one for you.
    *Biggest improvement was switching to a Henry/Reed bar. Us tall guys need a bar with very little pull back for standing.
  4. Mile Maker

Mile Maker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southern Alberta, only 150 km to a curvy road

+ 1 for the Rox risers. I went with the pivoting anti vibe units, The bike is now very comfortable to ride long distances. less handlebar vibrations plus better ergonomics.
    Ive tried a couple of different windshield combinations, none have worked so far. i tried the kawi tall, and tried a laminar lip configuration. Always ended up with terrible buffeting. I'm 6' 3"
    I want to try the cee bailey windshield eventually, but for now i will just live with cleaning the bugs off of the visor.
  5. Dusty_Bottoms

Dusty_Bottoms Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've tried many many windshields and combinations of laminar lips and am currently running the tallest CeeBaileys windshield and it's the worst buffeting so far. I'm six one. I'm going back to no windscreen probably.
  6. uxorious

uxorious n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I went to Laminar Lip with minimal improvement. Next was a Madstad windscreen and adjustable bracket. A bit of trial and error to get it in the best position but it's a miracle. A quiet air pocket and visor up all the time.
  7. Mile Maker

Mile Maker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southern Alberta, only 150 km to a curvy road

Does your cee bailey have the adjustable bracket? New style or old style KLR? i have an 09.
    i will have to check out the Madstad windscreen as well.
  8. Dusty_Bottoms

Oddometer:
    old style KLR, no adjustable bracket
    I wish I could try the madstad for less than $280!
  9. Hillbillyburg

Hillbillyburg n00b forever

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'3 with a 2" Rox riser and Protaper ATV high bend bar so my riding style is pretty upright. I have the KLR Dash with a Zero Gravity Sport Touring windshield on risers. The wind travels 1" over my Hornet helmet. Awesome set up for a few bucks. :clap Some people don't like the looks but I actually like the funtionality and it does kinda mean up the bike a bit.

Tip: Order the Zero Gravity on the KLR Dash website with the risers and they will cut it down for free and supply a rubber molding to finish off the windshield.
  10. Snypercell

Snypercell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So....It was raining all day today, so I took a little trip to Lowe's this a.m.

Like you guys, I hate that wind buffeting with a passion. I'm 6'3", and it slaps me right in the eyeballs.... I don't mind wind one bit. I rode with the entire fairing off for a while (had a homemade headlight rig that seemed to work pretty well), and I've tried the fairing without the windshield, both of which are major improvements over the stock setup. Fresh Air > Buffeting in the Face. Finally, I decided it was time for the Wheatwhacker mod.
    [​IMG]

I put some longer screws towards the top, so that I can use them later to help installing the dash, gps mount, and such. I bought a piece of $2 1/4" plexi glass while at Lowe's, so I can carve me up a dashboard.
    [​IMG]

I got it all fixed up and took it for a spin. I'm still getting the buffeting right in my face, but there is DEFINITELY a larger calm air cavity forward of me. If I had the highway pegs and could sit down a little, or had a tank bag and could lean forward a little, it would be the best so far. If only I could find a British Composites for the cheap....
    [​IMG]

I spent all day "whacking" my fairing up, while I was at it I shortened up my clutch and brake levers with the trusty Dremel. VAST improvement. Seeing as how there are no aftermarket, dirt bike style levers for the KLR.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am about to order the Lexx exhaust for $178 off of ebay, can't find a better deal, I think. So... while I was in the garage, I started the Frugal mod. No more tweet!! And Oh my!!! does this sound nice! It was 1am when I got everything buttoned up, so I didn't rev her or take her around the block, but I like it. Almost enough to just order a cap, and all it good.
    [​IMG]

My tool tube, in the works.
    [​IMG]
  11. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    That's one big ass tool tube.
    I've never seen a dog fit his entire head in one! :rofl
  12. Snypercell

Snypercell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hahahaha!!!

I want to get him a side car. He wants to ride so bad....
  13. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    I too have tried several options to reduce the wind on the KLR. Finally I bit the bullet and got a http://www.britanniacomposites.com/ . Well worth the money, expensive farkle, yhea but..............................
  14. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. I had always assumed the KLR shock was not rebuildable. I've done lot's of shocks, but never done one without a reservoir.

How is the N2 kept separate from the oil?

Sometime I'll have to post up my homemade vacuum shock bleeder. Amazing what you can do with $100 in plumbing supplies and some time on your hands.
  15. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I have two little guys I would love to get a sidecar for.
    I've seen tank bags and tail bags that are made to hold pets.
    I even considered putting one on the tank and tail to take them on camping trips.
    Check this out

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3334/3426016141_bc6c485164.jpg
  16. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those look awesome....have to put that on my farkle list...
  17. Dusty_Bottoms

Oddometer:
    How tall are you?
  18. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    KLR shock is an emulsion style...oil/Nitrogen mixed. Most but not all resv equipped shocks are de-carbon style...oil/Nitrogen separate.
  19. Snypercell

Snypercell Adventurer

Oddometer:

I am 75" or 6'3" with a 36" inseam, and I weigh about 180lbs sopping wet....
  20. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    So, when refilling with oil, you put in a measured amount? Other than getting most of the air above the piston when you fill it with oil, it sounds like there doesn't need to be a rigorous de-bubbling process?