Ktm 690 r

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by AndreMans, Oct 21, 2013.

1. AndreMans

AndreMans n00b

Oddometer:
    Good morning All.

I am new to the forum. Thanks for having me.

I have been riding LC8's for a long time now, I am contemplating moving over to a 690 Rally converted bike for more technical riding.

Has anyone done the same ,any regrets?

Thank you
    Andre Mans
  2. ericGSsti

ericGSsti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A mate of mine has and he's happy out. He said he defo wouldn't go back to the 950. But he's a short arse. He has the Rally Raid evo tanks. I couldn't get on with it though as I find it uncomfortable when standing as the side tank plastics are located right at the inside of my knee.

The Evo2 tanks are a completely different design and would be better for me.
  3. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did.

Had 950 and traded her in for a 690R with all the rally stuff... regretted a bit cause my 950 was truly phenomenal... both reliability and performance.

The 690 is lighter and is a breeze on technical terrains while the 950 was brute force, stay on the gas look wherever you wanna go and she should go through it..

Glad i had a 990Adv too!
  4. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 990, and a 690. Both are truly amazing machines, but as with so many things, you need to choose the right tool for the job, and as there is so much diversity to trail riding - this is quite challenging.

690:
    - If you're not riding tight stuff, and want a great dual sport bike - the 690 is hard to beat !
    - Turning radius sucks.
    - When I ride the 690 in single track, it feels clumsy, and the fuel injection makes it hard to lug (in the slow stuff). It feels like a gangly teenager, and loses traction easily as its light but with alot of power.
    - Gearing is currently 16/48, and I think I'll try a 15 up front next...

990:
    - way more comfortable (for obvious reasons), great power delivery.
    - more controllable, albeit much more of a liability (due to the weight).
    - remarkably agile (for its size), but (while there are those that can) I won't take it everywhere (read: single track).

In the end, I ride the 690 in the fast open stuff, but take my 450 in the tighter trails, as its simply way more fun !
  5. Mk5mike

Mk5mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So if you had to pick a do it all bike would it be the 990 or 690?
  6. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually enjoy the 990 more, as the v-twin is so much fun, bike is way more comfy, and has better range.
    I have to tone down riding the more aggressive trails, but the 990 puts a consistently smile on my face, while the 690 leaves me confused, and always thinking I should go smaller (for the tight stuff), or bigger (for the adventure stuff).
  7. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    sold my 990 bought a 690. Miss the big boy but 690 is a better fit for where I ride. Both excellent bikes, would have both if I could afford it :cry
  9. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to have a 640ADV parallel with the 950ADV, and had the same thoughts. (except for the range). IMO the way to go is an LC8 + an EXC. Well probably more like an EXC + a VFR1200 or equivalent, as the LC8ADV isn't the best onroad-only touring bike out there...

But! If I only had to choose one bike, I'd stick with the LC8ADV (that's what I did:D).
  10. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got both and both sorted out well. It's not that one is better than the other, its that one is better for this and the other better for that.

I live just 20 miles for the Nat Forest. So when day riding, with a mix of forest/gravel roads and ATV trail, I much prefer the 690. And I myself have more fun on it and wouldnt be as fun on the 990.

But when we camp n ride and slab it for a 100 miles to get to the Swinging Bridge Ride in Mo, then I much prefer the 990. Wouldn't be fun on the 690.

And if I could only have one: That would be tuff, but right now I would prolly chose for me the 690.