Car Drivers running red lights...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Rottweiler Performance, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Rottweiler Performance

Rottweiler Performance Rottweiler Performance Official

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Well I don't know if its just here in CA, Orange County, but I just HATE the fact how Car Drivers run red lights...

I have seen so many people running red lights... like they can't wait for their turn to go...I get pissed off because I think about all of us people on Motorcycles....I kind of wish a cop would be there at the moment I see this happening and actually see and follow...but of course nop...

My Husband was on a red light on his ADV and a car came next to him and run it!he find them on the next corner at the Gas station and he told them about it, and they were so irresponsible about it, like nothing.we live ina aread where are tons of MC'S

So far we had been very lucky on the road and never had any issues at all on our long road trips(we have been close to car hitting us). I hope we keep the good luck going.

Anyhow, just venting...hehe
  2. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:

I hate it too, in any vehicle! Pisses me off to no end.

Luckily its not that bad here in OC compared to other places I've lived.
  3. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is an old fart in a huge Oldsmobile near me who will slow down about 50 yds before the local 4-way stop sign and then gun it through the intersection. Stop sign or traffic be damned. I gotta admit he is very good at timing as I have never seem him smashed up and he NEVER stops at the sign.
  4. Pago Cruiser

Pago Cruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be sorely tempted to set up a camera (prolly on a tripod) and record some of his antics on video. Then drop them off at your local Police Dept. One of these days he will misjudge, or miss a kid on a bicycle, or a truck conceals a motorcycle. A pattern of proven contempt for safety of others can go a long way in his sentencing... Who knows, maybe a pro-active LEO may even pay him a visit before he creates the inevitable carnage... But I doubt it...:cry

One of my neighbors are of the same mindset. He will take up the entire two lanes driving 30mph around the THREE blind 90 degree corners on our 2.5 mile long dirt access road. I have almost been nailed twice. Have tried talking politely, but all I got was attitude: "You can't tell me how fast I can drive"... I now use a helmet cam on video all the time. It may not help me, but will help the wife sue his stupid ass...
  5. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are these people blowing through red lights long after the change or cutting it close immediately after a yellow?
  6. Krono

Krono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw that today, fortunately in front of me.

Not even in a hurry, just like she was blind ...

Worrying, to say the least :evil

L
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    The trick with intersections,is to go when its safe.

Imagining that a cage driver will do one thing or another because the rules say so is suicide plain and simple.

They are on the phone/texting/jacking off/road raging/near sleeping/watching a movie on the dash/consulting their GPS and in general paying no attention to what they are doing. Its only a car.

Its why car builders are building cars that sense objects ahead and can apply the brakes for you,sensors all around the car to relieve the driver of the hassle of driving.
  8. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    A couple of weeks ago, I was in the car, light turns yellow, I slow and begin stopping. Car behind me switches lanes, floors it. Light is red two or three car-lengths before he gets to it and he blows through it at warp speed.
    Then I pull up next to him two or three lights down the road.

Considering the way some of these folks drive, this is a good thing.
  9. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a percentage of drivers who think the rules are to keep the other drivers in order. So they can play games within an orderly system.
  10. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm regularily asking myself how stupid I am, standing there in front of a red light, alone, at an empty intersection or the like.
  11. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you really wanna know?
  12. garethllewelyn

garethllewelyn n00b

Oddometer:
    Same problems here in Orange County NY, on the phone, drinking coffee and shouting at the kids...
  13. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of areas around here have red light cameras, so it is curtailed in those places for the most part.

Most of the red light running I see is in heavy traffic and 2 or 3 cars sneaking thru at the end of a line of cars, or they get stuck in the intersection with no place to go.

Not really a safety issue, but it does delay you when your light turns green.
    Once the cars do stop there is no chance of a texter blowing thru the light, unless they can push 100+ cars out of their way in the process.
  14. Digasi

Digasi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cars do it all the time here. It is so bad that at times I have pretty much seen my light turn yellow before people stopped running the red light (no, the light wasn't broken because I could look up and see their light was red).

But a month ago I was approaching a light, it changed to green for me. Just as I hit the intersection a guy runs the light. I saw him and slowed down knowing he was going to just run it. Low and behold there was an unmarked cop car behind me and actually turned on his lights and went to pull him over. This is a surprise as I have seen people bluntly run lights in front of marked cars and the police don't do anything.
  15. k5mitch

k5mitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been in two car wrecks, both due to red light runners.

First one was shortly after my light to go straight through turned green. I was in a 93 fox body, and was hit in the driver's side front wheel. The lady didn't even hit the brakes (who knows what she was paying attention to). The light was red for a good two seconds before she entered the intersection.

Second time, I was third in a line of cars waiting to turn left. I was clipped on the passenger fender in my 01 civic from someone running the red light on the cross street. BSC woman claims to have had a green light (nevermind the three cars in front of me, and two behind me that were all making left turns). Her light was red for at least 10 seconds.
  16. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    I've seen that happen also. Sorry to be so mean spirited, but it made my day.
  17. Camojeff

Camojeff recluse

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this was posted already on the sticky up at the top of the page for new bike riders to watch out for, but I have to go along with your venting.
    On two occasions riding in Wichita, one just coming out of Red Robin and the other after physical therapy. I was waiting for my red light to change on both occasions. My light changed to green and I just happened to look before going. Both times a suburban or some other huge cage came rolling at 50 or more through a SOLID red light.
    So please, lifelong rider or noob, in a car or on a bike, give just a second to make sure somebody is not aware they are coming up on a red light while yours is green. It is literally a second that could change your life!
  18. Rottweiler Performance

Rottweiler Performance Rottweiler Performance Official

Oddometer:
    Yes! on the phone too! and I hate it... I have seen so many people driving like crap because thy are texting or talking on the phone...

you know what I do when I'm in the back of the ADV?
    I turn at them and I wave my index finger telling them "NO" the I make the Phone gesture with my hand and again I say NO!:nono
  19. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a meeting with a red light runner while riding. I always slow and look both ways if possible even if I have the green.

if I hadn't done this I would have been T-boned by the cage.

yes, they are all trying to kill you so ride accordingly
  20. DR Donk

DR Donk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see cars running the red light here in Michigan all the time. In fact, it is so commonplace as to seem "normal". I even saw a cop do it! When the light I am at turns green I always look both ways to make sure no one is running the red light. The danger isn't only cars running red lights but when slowing down for a light turning yellow, the car behind you assumes you aren't going to stop for the light and rear ends you. As I am slowing down I keep my eye on the guy behind me to make sure he is stopping too.