Aprilia Caponord 2014

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Forseti, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Forseti

Forseti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone ride the 2014 yet?

Looks like it would compete well with the Explorer / Crosstourer....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MacNoob likes this.
  2. fortrider

fortrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coming to the US mid March!!! Should be a ducati killer.
  3. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    looks incredible.
  4. BrittC

BrittC Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    He seems to like it:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pkgw6fwhsPo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Looks insanely good. Hoping this is the bike that will finally have reliable active suspension but I'm not getting my hopes up.
  6. zuma

zuma Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know the Caponord isn't really meant to leave the blacktop, but gee, what a ridiculously small front guard (fender). That lower radiator looks vulnerable too, not even a stone guard fitted either.
  7. quacker998

quacker998 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice torquey liquid cooled 1200cc V twin with chain driven cams
    Fully active 'auto' rear suspension
    Active front damping with electronic preload control
    Cruise control
    ABS
    Traction control
    Bags - color matched and of equal size left and right
    Center stand
    Hand guards [but strangely no heated grips standard]
    Non adjustable 33 inch seat height
    6.2 gal fuel tank - plastic or metal?
    512lbs dry - so 560 loaded
    If you like the idea of electronic suspension this
    sounds like a great long distance road hauler and comfy Sport Tourer
    All for a price 3k less than the Multi 1200 - I hear 15.5K for the sport pak model
  8. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watching the video I noticed the windshield brackets look identical to those on my Stelvio.

It seems like a much prettier updated Vstrom 1k.
  9. wncstrada

wncstrada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loved my 750 Dorsoduro and hoped for some time that this bike would be lighter and based on that motor. 1200's seem to be what everyone wants. If the 1200 runs as well as the 750 then this should be a great bike. Good Luck Aprilia - hope that the bike sells well.
  10. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Aprilia's are sexy. Wish we had a broader Aprilia dealer network in So. CA.
  11. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have Aprilia Newport Beach, 1536 Newport Blvd, Costa Mesa, CA 92627 in Orange County.

I have two to choose from here in San Diego County, one in San Diego, and one in Escondido.
  12. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Newport dealer is close. San Diego Aprilia dealers may be the next closest
  13. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Their ADV Version

[​IMG]
    MacNoob likes this.
  14. wedged

wedged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the ADV version, and love the Aprilia I have now. Too bad I just bought a Super Tenere
  15. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    I and my wife each have the original ETV1000 Caponords; mine has covered close to 50,000 miles and is - after a bit of informed upgrading - super-reliable, fast and frugal. It is a workhorse, tourer, commuter, get-away vacationer and rapid-response vehicle all in one.
    We live down some pretty rough dirt roads, so every journey we take starts - and finishes - with dust, rocks, ruts, potholes, corrugations - or slick, clay-based mud.
    I rode the 1200 last year and it's a retro-step for our application, as it has no dirt-road capability whatsoever - the average sport-tourer is less vulnerable to rock damage, as the 1200 Capo carries critical parts like coolers in silly places. The 17" front wheel also marks it down as just another road bike - a sit-up-and-beg tourer for old guys.
    It is, however, insanely fast.
    I confess I'll not see 40 again unless it's the title of a movie - and the 1200 will get me at least, much deeper into much more trouble than I can now handle. Or ever could, probably.
    And don't get too hyped by the "ADV" (actually, Aprilia-speak for adventure models is "RallyRaid") model - it's a mock-up by Hepco-Becker to showcase their bolt-on farkles and not a factory effort.
    Caponord? Capo-not!
  16. quickstop

quickstop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All the tests I've read say high fuel consumption.... looks nice though.
  17. GMM

GMM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode one of these today. The dealer said it is the first one in the States (not sure about that, but it was serial number 0005). Nice bike.
  18. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another, Caponord 1000 owner here,... I haven't ridden the 1200 and have no intention really in my mid fifties.
    I think my next bike (if there is a next bike) will be an 800 or smaller...
  19. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been going on about this bike in a few other topics for a while now as there was not really a dedicated caponord 1200 topic. The other caponord topic is mostly about the old 1000 model.

I've seen it (still need to test it though) but all the reviews are raving about this machine. Electronics, engine, ... the whole package just seems to work very well together. And the ADD suspension delivers a ride like no other, it's up there with the best of them.

The engine sounds great as well (that's always what puts me off with the GS's, that agricultural sound).

And lets face it, most of the GS-heroes have never seen an inch off the black top. So they might just as well get something like this sport tourer with a more upright comfortable position. This bike and a typical GS will cover 90% of the time similar sort of roads, so any comments on the exposed fragile parts (while absolutely correct) are irrelevant as this bike is clearly not meant to go all road. Which is not a problem, you can adjust your rides/trips to the bike you have instead of the other way around. In both worlds there are very decent trips to be made. I would take this aprilia to the alps for example...

I have to say also that the fit and finish is excellent! High quality.

And the most amazing part is this: the touring pack version (hard case luggage, all the electronics, cruise control) comes in at 15500 euro, whereas the comparable ducati multistrada comes in at 21000 euro (the touring S, at least the one with hard cases as well) This aprilia seems more reliable in every way and just pounds the ducati in terms of value for money. In europe that a 5500 euro difference, that's about 7000 dollar or more even.

That engine is sourced from a dorsoduro where it has stood the test of time and abuse at the hands of the hypermotard hooligans. I've been told that valve adjustment is not an issue until even 80000 km.

Go read in the multistrada thread about the issues there, for that price I'd be a fool to even want to expose myself to that.

And in any case, I don't see why this bike is not well received in this thread for not being all road like a tenere. If the multistrada has a niche to fill and a certain target audience, then this one does too as it is basically build using the same design brief

Different folks, different strokes.... It is truly a great machine, check it out if you have the opportunity. And in Europe, no shortage of aprilia dealers...
  20. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The previous Caponord had a larger front wheel, more ground clearance, and therefore was more off-pavement capable. If the new Caponord had a different name and Aprilia offered a separate, big dual purpose machine then this thread would not have those "not well received" posts.

I think both the Multistrada and new Caponord fit halfway between Beasts and Road Warriers. With so many riders on this forum spending more time off pavement, it's no wonder the mention of the minimal all road capabilities gets mentioned.

Bikes should be judged for what they are and what they are designed to be, but it is natural also to comment on what the individual would prefer it to be. I want a comfortable sport touring bike, this looks like the one, just happens to be classified as an Adventure bike because that word is what is selling now.

I think a better reason for this bike to be not well received is the reputation Aprilia has for not supporting warranty needs properly, and time taken supplying replacement parts. That is why Aprilia resale values are relatively poor.