KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The hub has a couple of slots in it (very hard to break!). The wings are on the washer on the speedo drive, you probably just broke that. It's a a low cost part.
  2. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the other KLR forum some have reported that they drilled hub and put in a roll pin to drive speedometer.

[​IMG]

either one will work for this

tom
  3. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    The hub is aluminum. The spacer is steel. Can you please explain how the hub is harder to break than the spacer?

I know this because my hub broke too. The aluminum bits floated around in there for a while before locking up the spacer, bending the ears.

I really fail to see how this could possibly work. There is a bearing pressed into the hub at this location. The pin would have to go through the axle. :scratch

Feel free to dig up that "how to" and post it here so we can better understand what you are describing.
  4. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
  5. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
  6. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    The mod in the FM section is a dude from India that seems to be somewhat capricious in hitting his nuke button. When he nukes something, it is gone without a trace. He nuked several of my ads in the past; one for an admitted inadvertent and minor rule violation that honestly could have gone either way and another without any rule violation.

Other people have complained about him in other sub-forums and had their thread nuked rather quickly, so ??????????????? :dunno

I don't want to rock the boat and risk getting banned or something. :deal
  7. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    FWIW .. RE the "wings" on the speedo drive unit ..

I recently swapped out a set of tires for another inmate and when we pulled the front off, sure enough, some ham-fisted mechanic had put the tire back together with the wings/tabs not "in the slot", but rather sitting up on the drive unit causing both to be bent .. speedo still worked, but man that was just a mess waiting to happen ..

.. carefully tapped it back flat and checked to make sure everything else was still working as it should and we got the front end put back together like it should have been done the last time ..

.. you MAY be able to do the same .. pull that little "washer" with the tabs/wings on it off carefully and set it on a flat solid/steel surface and GENTLY tap it back into shape ..

.. if you get it out of round, however, it won't go back on .. so fair warning ..

.. I have not tried to put one back together without the "washer" with the tabs on it .. you might be able to do it without causing a safety issue and just losing the speedo .. BUT I WOULD CHECK IT OUT VERY CAREFULLY before trying that ..

.. ymmv .. use at your own risk .. drive safely .. ride blessed .. no coupons accepted .. employees and family members not eligible for prizes .. sale only valid on the sixth Sunday of any month ..
  8. Jibs

Jibs The original squid

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Anyone ever get really bad wear on the continental tkc 80's. My first rear tire lasted 900 km. after that it was shredded up with slices and chunks missing. I complained to the dealer and got a new tire under warranty. New tire installed and about 800 km into the new one and sure enough.......it's doing it again??? I have a hard time believing that my klr has too much power and breaking the rear loosen the pavement! We all know that the 40 ponies pushing that wheel is pretty tame. I do about 75% off road with my bike, as much gravel as I can! It must be getting sliced up from the gravel??? I'm disappointed that I buy a tire rated for 80% off road riding and that is what is ruining my tire??? My friend has an 85 hp triumph scrambler with the same tires on and he rides 60/40 street. His tires wear great.......well smooth at least! The lifespan of a knobbie is what it is, I just wish my wear pattern was better!!
  9. 2handedSpey

2handedSpey bunned

Oddometer:

Right, 40HP

Put down the brochure and step back to reality.

You meant 25HP
    :lol3
  10. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I had them, and the tire wear was total crap. The front scalloped badly, and the rear wore in a very strange pattern. My friend had the same experience on his GS1200A. Bad batch? I don't think so -- this was several months apart, from different dealers. Not a good value for a tire in that price range, IMHO.
  11. HighwayMiles

HighwayMiles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

I'm planning some long trips in the near future and was wondering if it was possible to order a skid plate that doubles as a fuel tank for a 2006 KLR. I've seen them on Dakar bikes before so they must exist somewhere, right? I'm not doing a Dakar run (yet) and the 6 gallon stock tank should work fine, but it would be nice to have an extra gallon or two hanging around, especially if it can replace that wimpy stock skid plate.

If turning it into a fuel tank won't work, I'm looking to fit a skid plate from a Tengai to my '06. Any experience in this area either? It seems like a simple bolt on, possibly with an improvised bracket. Any and all help would be extremely useful. Thanks,
  12. Jibs

Jibs The original squid

Oddometer:
    that was a typo!!!!! It should have read 20!!
  13. Jibs

Jibs The original squid

Oddometer:
    At first I blamed the dealer for not balancing the wheel..........at all!!!!!! Then tire two, new dealer actually balanced the tire but same results!
  14. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since KLR fuel is gravity-fed, how would the gasoline in the skid plate/auxiliary fuel tank be transported to the carburetor?
  15. coolerthanethan

coolerthanethan Non-human

Oddometer:
    new KLR owner needing some tire advice........

Planning on taking a 6-8k mile trip in august around the u.s and wanted to start with new brakes, sprockets/chain and tires. I'm set on everything but the tire choice. I'll be camping 99% of the trip and will def be riding offroad so i need something offroad capable however i'm guessing at least 60-70% of the miles if not more will be pavement. My main concern is wear, i'm looking for tires that last! I'm hoping to get the "set" for under $150 shipped

I was looking at the Kenda 761's which don't look very offroad worthy or the 270's which look like they wouldn't last long on pavement.

I really dig the Heidenau k60's but just can't afford them.

as i've ridden shinko's in the passed i'll stay away from them.

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!!
  16. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Looks like it may be back... and for $6000 this time!:lol3
    We'll see how long it lasts. Didn't have a link to an external ad last time.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814145

17. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends upon your definition of "long," I got 6 grand plus from K270's 3.25-21 and 5.10-17; YMMV.
  18. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My front K270 is still going strong with ~4500 miles on it. The rear K270 chunked 3 center lugs with around 1500 miles on it. Much of its' life was at 70mph and above, I'm not sure how much if any that contributed to the failure or if the problem was just a bad batch from the factory.

I replaced the failed rear 270 with a 761, but I haven't done much off road with it. It does well on the roads including torrential rain. I have about 3000mi on that, and it looks like I should get at least that many more before it absolutely needs to be replaced.
  19. whitebreadadv

whitebreadadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I routinely get over 7,000 miles out of the 270s. Another inmate I ride with gets 10,000 miles per set. Air pressure is key. Air down to 20 for offroad, 30-35psi for pavement.
  20. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    My tire of choice on my 2009 that primarily sees 110 miles a day as a comute bike. It occasionally sees dirt but my 1990 is set up more for that if it's just day or local riding where a lot of highway miles aren't required. I run the trackmaster II's on it and typically get 3K out of them. About right for a full on knobbie, at least with the brands that I've tried.