Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't it be a Goddamn style video from Meef? :D
  2. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:

Got a glimpse of that last week when Honda announced they are back in Dakar with a full factory effort and casually mentioned, they were in it to win it, they weren't playing around. Glad to see them back in the game, maybe it will inspire them to go forth and make a real dual sport or rally bike for the masses without the $30k price tag of the KTM 450 Rally.

What is sad is the NX250 was part way there and had a liquid colled 250 thumper in it, why that motor never made it to the XR line, only Honda knows.

Speaking of Dual Sports.. The KTM 1190R Adv is mysteriously missing from the 2013 line up and only available in Europe. I guess I'll be looking for a used 9X0
  3. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, I also wanted to add a Tenere update:

A couple people have asked me about the Clutch Switch Mod. I tried it once a few months ago, but tested it looking for more mid-top end power (the S10 forum thread about it claims 15+ horsepower). I did an easily repeatable test, and found no difference at all, so I pulled it. Now since it came up again, I tried again, this time simply riding normal. It does smooth out my normal releasing of the clutch in 1st gear noticeably, and perhaps adds a bit more low end to 1st and 2nd, but I noticed no dramatic difference other than that 1st gear clutch release smoothness.

I added the brightest headlight bulbs you can get just this week; 4500k 55w HID's. They are freaking awesome! The projector lenses and the high beam cutoff work perfect, and they throw just tons of light out front. I'm very pleased.

I also added a generic low pitch horn (to compliment the stock pansy high pitch horn). It didn't work out so well. I'm not sure if its the non-match low-high pitches, or whether it can't handle powering both when it's only meant for one (not likely), but it came out reminding me of this:
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0cVlTeIATBs" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  4. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:

:evil
  5. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:

Kick his ass Sea Bass!
  6. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm hoping this is some sort of misguided attempt at sarcasm
  7. Oceanbum

Oceanbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You forgot your " Heil Hitler ! " ":deal
  8. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Swingset... you recently posted about a second version of your cutting board skid plate (can't find the post now), but you had a black cutting board. Where'd you find that? I'm thinking it's time for a skid plate on the WRR, and I'd like to try this. What tool do you use for the curved cuts?
  9. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    I need to ride up to Lodi tomorrow AM to pick something up.

I am probably going to do (street) backroads from the Fredericktown area up to Lodi tomorrow AM. Plan to leave about 8:00 AM or so.

I'll probably grab some lunch at the cool deli I found in Akron or if I am feeling ambitious the B Spot in Strongsville.

Plan on being back in the Fredericktown area at 4 PM or so at the latest.

Let me know if anyone feels like tagging along, should be a nice (cool) ride...The leaves are really starting to change.

The place I am going sells stuff that goes bang. If this bothers you you should not go.

Should be less than 200 miles total.
  10. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :d

11. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    I should probably add that I am not leaving my house on a bike at 40 degrees & steady rain.

Just saying.
  12. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    So the trip starts Sunday? :lol3
  13. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I got it at Target (Easton). Was $11 I think, biggest one they sell.

I used a fine-tooth jig saw blade to cut the curves. Since you can't "weld" or do complex bends, the "ears" need to align across the plate, where they go back to meet the frame, if you can picture what I mean.

Then you can heat and fold the ears up around the frame and provide some side protection. If you do it without the "ears" (mx-style skid plate) it's much easier...you're just bending the whole thing to wrap.

I mocked it up with a poster board and figured out my bends and cut-outs before hand, then clamped the cutting board with two pieces of wood and did the heating/bending. You want it hot enough (on both sides of the plastic) that it starts to get shiny, but not enough that it bubbles, and then you apply some firm pressure. While you have it held, cold water will speed up the setting of the bend.

Practice this on a scrap piece and you'll have it figured out...it's pretty forgiving stuff....and easy to cut and drill, too.

If you want help doing it, lemme know.

Here's the pic again so you can see what I mean about the "ears" lining up with the bends.

[​IMG]
  14. rxcrider

rxcrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the exception of the useless roost guards for your hands, that thing is sweet
  15. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great! Found it online:
    [​IMG]

I'll give it a shot first. If I fail I'll shoot you a request for further assistance on round 2.

Thanks!
  16. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I think that's it. It's about 17-18" long, which is about perfect.

It's not a painful experience if you botch it, you could build it 4 times and still be half price of some of the aluminum ones. Attachment methods can be anything you like. 1" pipe clamps with a nut welded to them is a popular option, I chose .zip ties cause they're easy and there's very little room under my motor.
  17. Benly

Benly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m taking a couple days off work the tail end of next week, so I am defiantly up for some type of riding. More than one day if folks are interested.
    What are you thinking: DS or adventure bike? Close to you or SE Ohio?
  18. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    BTW, anyone who did the quarry trails under the 13/657 bridge in Newark with me knows the area I'm talking about, but I just did a quick run exploring there again. The spring monsoon changed the river a lot, you can cross it 4 or 5 times where it's wide and only about 12" deep...quads have been using it.
  19. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    How do you form it or bend it? Heat it up?
  20. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, heat gun.

In other news, I figured out it's the Baby Burr that's going to be attacking my regular trails/roads this weekend (not that they're mine). I guess I just assumed that was out by Burr Oak, as opposed to Tar Hollow. 200 miles down there would be one hell of a good ride! My usual ride is about 60 miles of off road (and connectors), along with the 110 or so miles there and back.