luggage help, Kriega vs Giant Loop vs DrySpec

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by KDMNZ, Nov 6, 2013.

1. KDMNZ

KDMNZ n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, firstly I am new to this forum and new to adventure riding.

I have just brought a BMW F650gs and am loving it.

I have a month long ride coming up in January (New Zealand Summer) and am looking at luggage options. My riding wont be extreme off-road but plan on keeping off the main road as much as possible.

I have narrowed my choice down to:

Kriega Overlander 30 + US-30/20 + US-10 for tank bag.
    Giant Loop Coyote + tank bag
    DrySpec D28x2 + tank bag

Anyone tried more than one of these before? Or switched from one to the other?

Cheers
  2. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm afraid I can't speak to the panniers, but I own both the Kriega US10 & US 20 tail bags, & I'm absolutely sold on them. They are rugged,well designed, & completely water tight. I routinely trust them with my camera case ($1500 of cam. & lenses) without a qualm. They are far from cheap (in any sense of that word) but I find it easier to part with money when product reflects the cost. I'm betting that their pannier systems are equally well done.
  3. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    same here, cant speak on kreiga bags but my backpack is awesome and built very well.

i had a giant loop mojavi and it too was built very well, and i was completely happy with it.

i really dont think you could go wrong with any of the 3, i think it just comes down to personal preference.
  4. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I am also a big Kriega fan. I would start with the Overlander30 and a US10. See how much more space you need before buying more bags. (I traveled for a week with camping gear with the OL30 and a US10 using only a US5 on the tank)

Remember... less is more if you are staying on dirt as much as possible.
  5. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a Giant Loop Fandango tank bag.

I also have a Coyote, but mainly use my Kreiga Overlander 30 with a US 20 and 10 depending on how much stuff I am taking with me.

Giant Loop and Kreiga make great stuff........but now the first gear I grab is my Kreiga stuff.

Don't forget a nice backpack.......I like the Kreiga R15 or R25.

Cheers
  6. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the ADV riding world and to getting your feet dirty off road. You'll have a blast. I've ridden extensively with the Giantloop Coyote and now have some trips under my belt on the Kriega Overlander 30.

Penned a review/comparison of the systems here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911217&highlight=overlander

Hope it gives you some data to help with your decision.
  7. tvolk

tvolk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Harty

Harty Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the Wolfman Adventure Panniers, they're also good kit. I've got the Kriega, Wolfman and GL Coyote for various types of trips. I prefer the GL as I can just undo 3 straps and haul it into my tent if necessary, but you need the internal waterproof bags for it.

[​IMG]
  9. KDMNZ

KDMNZ n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow thanks heaps for all your replies.

Everyone seems pretty pro Kriega but not really sure on how the overlander will fit to my frame.

You're right with the Giant Loop being able to be taken off quickly which is a big plus and will fit my F650gs without any fuss
  10. Nacho911

Nacho911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kriega rocks. 10 year warranty helps. Bomb proof. Water proof. Tested that many times. Giant loop for the rear. Bomb proof but not close to waterproof. Solid performer, but use dry bags inside. Holds tight on your bike. Slows a crash and prevents damage. Narrow profile and does not hand to low. I have hard and soft bags. Hard for highway only. Works for most off road to, but sort is best. On the Colorado backcountry discovery rout, soft bags, GL and kriega wer awesome, very crash worthy, and we tested that many times. Waterproof ,GL with dray bags inside. We did Washington route year before. I used hard bags, Pelican 1550. Thought but fat and low, I was scared many times with those.

UG
  11. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Oh, hello!

First off: thanks very much for the props, gentlemen! :bow

Always cool to hear that you're digging the gear as much as I / we do. Feedback like that is what keeps us keeping on. :thumb

And welcome to the madhouse, KDMNC - great to have you on board! OK...

So. While I might be slightly biased, please be assured that I would never push the wrong solution for you, your bike and your type of riding. If I think you might be better off with something other than what we have to offer, I'll tell you straight up. That said...

If you'd like to step into my office... :evil I'll be more than happy to run through the options, so to see if we can't get your luggage set-up right first time and for many adventures to come.

Also more than happy to answer any queries in this thread, if you prefer.

Cheers!

Michael
  12. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    The Overlander backplate has plenty of mounting holes to allow a perfect match to your frame. I have hard luggage but now I own the Kriega Overlander I will never use the HB boxes again.
  13. Joe Houle

Joe Houle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kriega is good if you don't need to "easily" access anything you are packing. As a tank bag, isn't that kind of the point? I had a full Set up, US-20/10/10 for the tail, and US-10 as a tank bag. Used one trip, then sold it to another inmate..

Over priced, over engineered dry bags with straps IMO.

The new beta is what has my attention!
  14. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    You're quite right, Joe. Kriega US Packs weren't designed as tank bags. We just offer the adapter so they can be used as such, if desired, making them even more adaptable.

Getting into any Drypack certainly is often a little less convenient that unzipping a zipper, but that's the trade-off for it being the only way to ensure a 100% waterproof bag, without the far greater hassle of a rain cover.

Cheers,

Michael
  15. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    :d
  16. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    No frame required for the Overlander 30. The Overlander 60, however, will fit any standard rack / frame from Touratech (who made a lot of BMW's racks for them), Metal Mule or [for owners of the orange bikes] KTM Powerparts.

Cheers,

Michael
  17. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the Wolfman Expedition Light tank bag.
    Running Wolfman saddle bags, may go back with WM, Kriega for sure an option and Magdan bags by Adventure Spec.

But the Kriega US20 I have is just an excellent piece of luggage. I love my Kriega and will be buying a US 30 for the rear and put my 20 on top. Can't wait till Kriega comes out with their big duffle. :deal

YMMV:ear

Foot note. Wolfman and Kriega both have outstanding customer service, they pay it forward, work hard to make a living. Dusty and Mike are awesome folks.
  18. Rsquared

Rsquared Un-Supervised Slacker

Oddometer:
    Kriega OL30 and a US20 with a Wolfman Dry Bag sandwiched in between. 7 days camping off of the bike thru Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. I highly recommend Kriega products...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]