Cardo Scala Rider G4 Resource Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by amackenzie, Aug 28, 2010.

1. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    No I was just curious if you had asked them to improve/add something via a software update and what their response was. I know folks complained about the buttons being hard to work with gloves on and that is probably why they made the buttons bigger on the G9. I think the performance of the FM radio has more to do with hardware than software. I also would like to see a smart phone app to be able to check/change settings.
  2. Simplyred

Simplyred No longer active on ADVRider.

Oddometer:
    I am still having difficulties to "get it" with the G4. But that is probably me. I own the set for over a year and still am in complete dark on what to press how many times when driving. When at home it totally makes sense, but on the road it is all blurred. It just doesn't work for me the design of operation of this device. I am glad they now started with vox control on the G9 although that is a huge word for so little functionality, just start/stop things. I would have liked a complete vox control so that you do not have to press anything but only say: "music on", "play Simplyred", "Track up", "Volume up", "Intercom driver B". Or sequences like that. Now it is rather limited on the G9. Looks nice in commercials, but in daily practice? I guess you will still have to fiddle around on the side of the helmet and press buttons once, twice, for 3 seconds, for 6 seconds, two buttons at the same time or what not. Sigh. I guess I am a dumb ass :rofl
  3. gallowaystx

gallowaystx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a scala g4 powerset off of an inmate several months ago - it was complete and in full working order however... the serial number card was not included.

I would like to do the software update - can one of you send me the downloaded file so that I can flash upgrade my powerset?

PM/email me if you can help. Thanks in advance.
  4. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:

Is the serial number on the back of the unit ?
  5. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    Not as far as I can tell. The website states its on the included warranty card.

Emailed them twice to see if there is some other way to get it, and to throw myself at their mercy - no response.
  6. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay mine has a really long number on a sticker on the back, I assumed that was the serial. I update mine using the cardo update software installed on a pc.
  7. gallowaystx

Oddometer:
    They emailed me back. It's the number under the barcode on the back of the unit. I'm dumb.
  8. 802mike

802mike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bristol, Vermont Gateway to The Green Mtns
    Tried to update my pair of G4s last night. One updated fine and the other kept giving the message that
    it was not turned on and to "Retry".
    Should they both update from the same program or do you have to register each one individually and
    have separate programs.
    The first one went fine, I tried different cords and still nothing.
    Any ideas??
  9. 802mike

802mike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bristol, Vermont Gateway to The Green Mtns

Got this reply back for support. Haven't tried it yet.

Each scala rider headset will update independently, but can use the same software. We suggest to to as follows to resolve your issue:

* *Uninstall the Cardo Upgrades Software
    * *Restart your computer
    * *Do not connect the G4 until the "Please Verify" screen appears
    * *Install the Cardo Setup File
    * *Do not start the software directly from the setup
    * *Locate the Shortcut to Cardo Upgrades.exe Icon on the desktop
    * *Right click the icon and run as administrator (if running Windows XP or 7)
    * *Connect G4 with USB Cable (LED will show Solid Red Light)
    * *Follow instructions on "Please Verify" screen
    * *Wait for the system to acknowledge the driver was installed properly
    * *Follow the "Please Verify" instructions if screen appears again

Please feel free to contact us if we can assist you with any other questions.

Best Regards,

Robert Wargo
    Technical Support
    Cardo Systems, Inc.

Phone: *********+1 412.788.4533
    Fax: ***********+1 412.788.0270
    Toll Free: *****+1 800.488.0363
    International: *+49.894.503.6819
    robert@cardosystems.com
  10. danisOTR

danisOTR Living Life on the Road

Oddometer:
    We have a power set. It had been working very well for the first two months. We both got new helmets and we moved the units to the new helmets. Now when we get further than 100 feet from each other the volume on my wife's set gets very low. The communication is spotty with only parts or words and sentences coming through and when they do is is very low volume. She states that there is a lot of static as well. However, when we are within 50 feet everything sounds fine.

The software is up to date.

I've swapped the electronic unit to the headset on my helmet and have no problem. It would appear that the headset on my wife's helmet is bad. But why only when we are 100+ feet apart?

Cardo wants to do a RMA. No problem but we are going on a trip soon and the unit would not likely be back.

Ideas?
  11. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see you swapped hers onto yours, did you try yours on hers?
  12. danisOTR

danisOTR Living Life on the Road

Oddometer:
    Yes we swapped them both. I can always hear her with either unit. She can't hear me as indicated in my previous post using either.
  13. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll preface this by emphasizing that our G4s have never worked with both intercom and any audio source. I usually have XM or MP3 from a zumo and the wife listens to an Ipod hardwired. We can talk on intercom or, turn on my zumo BT and she can turn on her Ipod.
    We picked up a Boostaroo from Radio Shack $25. It takes one input jack and has three output jacks. Runs on two AA batteries. We just got back from a trip where we were going to use it but, forgot an extra cord and didn't notice until too late.
    Dry tested it today and both helmets worked just fine with the audio input. The way I'm going to run my setup is to take an audio extender cord from the zumo, or it's harness if I can dig it out of the frame, and have the extender exit behind my seat. The Boostaroo will connect between the two of us. The two cords will come off of the Boostaroo and into the helmets, mine from behind, hers in front as usual.
    Since the G4 was never intended to BT the same source and, I suspect there is a major BT development required to do that, this is as good as one can do......I think.
  14. Ferguson

Ferguson n00b

Oddometer:
    You have to give the microphone the best chance to work to its potential. :norton
  15. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Anyone else here using a gps, in my case a Garmin Montana, with a Scala intercom, where the Rugged Mount audio cable is wired into the Scala? The reason I ask is that I sent an email to Garmin asking this:

Hi, I was wondering if there would be any way to address this problem: I have a Montana 650, with the Rugged Mount audio cable into a Scala G4 intercom and I always miss the first words of whatever's said, since the intercom's voice activated, but not instant.

I really like my Scala but this part does not work particularly well. It would be much better if the gps could send a wake-up call to the intercom a couple of seconds before the real message is sent.

Garmin replied this way:

We don’t often add features for a single individual, although I’ll add this one to the review pool when we next sort them. We’ll probably need a little more information if/when that happens (how long of a beep?, how long should we wait until speaking?, how loud of a beep?).

This really seems like a bug in the G4. The G4 looks like it is treating the MP3 hardline as if it were an intercom instead of a standard audio input. I guess this works alright for MP3 players, as long as you don’t pause the MP3 player too long. I only ask that you check with them as it seems like they’ve got an option for this for the intercom modes (voice connect vs channel button connect).

End quote

So, anyone else have this problem with a Garmin gps and willing to add their voice to the request? Or should I see if Scala would have a solution?
  16. randy quad

randy quad n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Emmbeedee. I have a Montana and never even considered that there would be a way to connect it to the G4 other than to use the hard wire input (MP3 connection on rear of unit). And I thought that input would only manually turn on.

Have you figured out a way to connect the Montana output to the microphone of its own dedicated G4?

randy
  17. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    What I use is the Montana's wired output on the "Rugged Mount" to the MP3/Aux connection. I don't do anything special to turn that connection on, it just is active when sound is going through it as far as I can tell. As long as no other input is currently active, that is. The MP3/Auxiliary Line In Port connection has the lowest priority.

This is what the manual says about the MP3/Aux channel:

"Any other audio connection will automatically mute the MP3 Player. The audio signal will return only when the G4 is once again in Standby mode."

Edit: Hmm, now that I read the manual, this leads me to believe that I shouldn't need to wake that channel at all; I just need to be sure no other channel is active.
  18. randy quad

randy quad n00b

Oddometer:
    I understand now. We always ride with either the I-Pod bluetoothed or the Intercom to other rider active. So I would never hear the Montana in my scenario. That is why I was confused.

Thanks for explaining.
    randy
  19. carlt828

carlt828 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A buddy & I bought the G4 Powerset last year for a Colorado trip. It worked great and was the best investment we made. This year however, we had a technical difficulty. To be fair, the other guy somehow messed up the rubber button seal on the top of his unit. He fixed it but it is a variable in the equation.

Our problem was that sometimes I would talk but he would not hear me at all. When he could hear me, sometimes my volume would be low. Also, his volume would start out low and almost inaudible and then jump up to the normal level. We swapped units and the problem switched; sometimes I couldn't hear him when he talked. The volume level problem we resolved to the mic moving away from directly in front of my mouth. Probably bouncing around the trails caused it to move some which some duc tape will fix. I think his problem is related to the electronics being compromised and maybe some moisture in the unit is causing the problem.

What kinda ticked both of us off is that he called Scala today and found out that they only work on units less than 2 years old and only with a copy of a sales receipt. We bought the units off Craigslist last year and don't have one. Scala doesn't charge for repairing other than shipping (which is great) but won't look at a unit at any price without a receipt (not so great). For a unit that fits a niche market we both thought this was poor customer service not standing behind their product. I could see charging to look at a unit they do not know is in warranty or not but to not even be willing to try is a big disappointment. I really like the units themselves and would recommend them to anyone who asks. Now, I'd have be not quite so enthusiastic in my recommendations.

Once again though, when they worked, they worked great.
  20. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 n00b

Oddometer:
    Newbie here with a G4 issue.
    Anyone had the FM radio pack up and have a fix? One of the reasons I bought the G4 to replace my original Cardo Scala mono was the FM radio, I realise most do not use it much but I like it and have organised a system where I can use it to pick up a DAB radio signal (digital radio in UK/Ireland) which is rebroadcast using a wireless transmitter. This has worked fine to date. The G4 otherwise works perfectly. I've done all the usual, charge, remove pairings, reload v3 firmware but the FM radio stays stubbornly silent. I suspect a hardware failure.

Cardo are not interested despite it being less then 2 years old. I purchased off Ebay and they told me this does not entitle me to any warranty cover. I complained that this wasn't made clear on their website and lo and behold, the following day an "important message" appears in the "where to buy link" saying if you buy from an unauthorized reseller = no warranty. Amazingly they include Amazon in this category.

So I am left with a busted G4. Before I go and purchase another can anyone comment if the G9 FM radio is any better? The G4 radio was very poor at picking up stations IME (hence the DAB cludge) but despite some reviews claiming the G9 radio has been improved, I've yet to read any user comments about this.

Thanks.

EDIT. Cardo got in touch by email and gave me the address of the UK distributor (PAMA) who were pretty decent about having a look at my unit. They did confirm it was out of warranty but they are at least taking a look at it so you never know. I will post back when I get a conclusion.

ANOTHER EDIT
    They sent me a new unit. Well done Cardo and their UK distributor (PAMA).