Who is riding Black Dog Dual sport?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by mtbdemon, Apr 5, 2010.

1. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who is riding the above? Has anyone ridden it in the past? Worth riding? I'm thinking of riding my bike there and camping but have never done a ride like this. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  2. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    We're going! 2 levels of riding = big or small bikes. I trucked there, camped and rode the piss out of a TE450 Husky. Legendary trails are accessed specifically for this event. The big bike route shared some of the logging roads - it was quite fun, very well organized and cool people.
  3. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, maybe I will hit you up for some bags while your are there :freaky
  4. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    Go buy a roll chart holder. Don't put it off! You will also need some way of tracking your mileage The bike trip meter isn't usually quite good enough, and a GPS will screw you up in the trees. You can use both in a pinch but a bicycle speedometer or better still an enduro computer will make it a lot more fun for you!
  5. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:
    I will be there.

Great event. 2 days of fun. Get there Friday night if you can. Doing the truck camper thing trailering the DS bike. Lots of flat grass fairground parking lot good for RV and tents. Restroom nearby.

Last year the Washington side routes were snowed in so an emergency plan for more Oregon side routes were used.

-Mike
  6. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
  7. oregonsage

oregonsage Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recommendations?
  8. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

I'll be there again this year, also doing the preride to verify the "C and B" course to make sure this thing can get between the trees., LOTS of FUN. :evil
    [​IMG]
  9. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    Cheap with a big window. Tom uses adding machine tape for his roll charts so that's the width you want.
    This one works OK:
    http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chaparral/productr.asp?pf_id=2212-0017&gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=F4E88D78E33A4B75BC139D73D42DC16A
    [​IMG]

Moose Trophy Roll Chart Holder
    Watertight, impact resistant case
    Compact size allows room for crossbar mounted enduro instruments
    Mounting hardware included
    Product Number: 2212-0017
    Your Price: $22.95

bring some scotch tape. You run it the length of the roll chart on the back side. That way, if the chart gets wet, it doesn't rip when you try to roll it.

I usually use something like this for the computer. Go to a bicycle shop and check it out. You want something that is accurate at least to tenths, preferably to hundreths of a mile, and has an easily reset trip button. You want the calibration function to be a little more protected so you don't accidentally erase your calibration on the trail, and you should be able to calibrate it to a motorcycle sized wheel. Don't spend a lot of money for extra functions you don't need.

http://www.amazon.com/SIGMA-5-Function-Topline-Bicycle-Speedometer/dp/B000H1W2BW
    [​IMG]

I find a clear straight stretch of road and check it against my GPS repeatedly, and fudge the calibration until the trip meter is accurate. If the readout jumps around erratically, you have too big of air gap. You either need to close it up or use a bigger magnet. I often get magnets from Rad Shack and glue them to the rim of the wheel rather than try to make the ones supplied with the speedo work.
  10. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

To add to what Vernon has just said, it is MUCH easier to keep track of where you are if your rally odometer reads in hundreds of a mile, sometimes the turns follow one another quite quickly. A tenth of a mile is 520 feet there have been times when that could leave you guessing as to the next turn, one hundredth of a mile is 52 feet that makes it easy to keep on the right track.

Where the extra accuracy really helps is the times when more then one class of the courses use the same route for a bit before branching off to their respective course, I highly recommend getting some sort of odometer that reads in hundredths of a mile.:deal
  11. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did it a couple of years ago and it's a real hoot. Camping is pretty cool at the fairgrounds.
  12. oregonsage

oregonsage Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great information. Many thanks. Ive been planning to hit the Dual Sport events this year ... just a bit too old for those GP/XCs anymore. I know how to ride the bike; it is all this ancilary stuff that is great to have your expert knowledge about. Many thanks.

The bike computer will be easy. I cant walk 2 blocks in Eugene without hitting a bicycle shop. :-)
  13. oldmonkeybut

oldmonkeybut Flatulent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doesn't your Husky have an odometer?

I rode these events for years with a stock either Suzuki or Honda odometer and a Countdown Roll Chart holder. There are resets to keep you on track or get you back on course. Sometimes not knowing down to the thousandth of an inch where each turn is adds to the adventure.
  14. oregonsage

oregonsage Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is also a viable approach. If I can find the trail it is all good. But it is hard to resist the opportunity to adapt a bicycle part to my fine Italian machine. Not sure if the Husky knows 100ths or even 10ths. One of those hard to read digital contraptions.

Are you going to ride that new Honda 650 you just picked up?
  15. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Last year I rode a borrowed Husky with nothing that worked (except the motor and brakes) - slapped a roll chart on and immediately was out of synch (lost) but followed my buddies till I lost them - followed the roost to the pavement and up to Timberline. Re-grouped, and got separated fairly soon after the dirt started again - ended up with this hilarious camping neighbor on a brand new, totally stock XR650L. The guy had not ridden a dirt bike for 20 years or so and we had a blast all the way back . . . to the beer cooler! [note hunting boots and camo/quad helmet!]

[​IMG]

Oregon is the best . . . still! :wink:
  16. oldx

oldx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great people you meet there. Well run event,perfect place to camp with permanent rest rooms,ect,ect. Route is pretty easy to follow.
  17. Señor Squirrel

Señor Squirrel AKA TTDave

Oddometer:
    I'll be going again this year.
  18. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Damnit! The voices in my head conspired and somehow I am paid up to ride this thing. What have I done?

I better get some better gear.... :ricky

For those who went last year, were you able to get any sleep at the fairgrounds? Any camp fires there?
  19. StoneAgeMan

StoneAgeMan Wanderer

Oddometer:
    does an LEO pull you over to see if that thing is legal? :huh

It's name fits its looks. I like it:clap

StoneAge
  20. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy Steve,

Its legal, well kinda, maybe, :dunno it has a DOT headlight, brake and tail lights, my arms still work for turn signals, horn what's a horn. :lol3