Android Phones

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by O-man21, Aug 12, 2011.

1. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    24 hours with my new Galaxy Nexus has been filled with bliss!:lol3

I am constantly amazed with the improvements both big and small.
    ICS and the Samsung hardware is excellent.
  2. FXRocket

FXRocket Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer:
    I picked an HTC Rezound today for $170 out the door at Frys with the two year upgrade. Not a bad price, now to wait on the ICS rollout!
  3. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    My buddy has had a Rezound for about 3 weeks and loves it.

I just rooted my Evo today (after nearly two years with it) and have been cleaning up the built-in apps... Ugh. What a chore.

Waiting for the Edge to come out next year around upgrade time. :evil
  4. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    I just rooted my original droid, after having it for a few months. Installed Cyanogenmod 7, overclocked the processor, works nice, battery life is just as good if not better. It's nice to have more control over the phone, even though this phone didn't come with much in the way of bloatware.
  5. RLK

RLK KLR VFR

Oddometer:
    This is fascinating. I guess i'm ready for my first cellphone. I think I want to replace Centurylink DSL and landline with a mobile plan for both phone and laptop. I hope it can come in under $80/mo as Centurylink is up to $91. Good reading here. Thanks.
  6. Nophix

Nophix Ride. Eat. Repeat

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't replace your home connection. You're looking at at least $50 month for just the computer, and that gets you about 5gb of data, which most anyone will burn through in a couple days with moderate browsing and YouTube. Its fine for a secondary connection, but not primary.

I can also bet you could get that Centurylink bill way down. I used to work for them when it was Centurytel, and did a lot of develppmnt work on the billing system. You should be able to get DSL without phone service, or dump the extra features and run bare phone service.

You wont get down below $91 for your phone and internet over cellular anyhow, especially if you go smartphone.
  7. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Long timer

Oddometer:
    $80 a month on sprint with unlimited data. Its been o er a year now that I ditched my home internet service and I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my Motorola Photon using Tapatalk
  8. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    For the smartphone only. Add another $30/mo to make it a hotspot for tethering the laptop or adding a stand alone hotspot, and then it's limited to 5gb a month.
    You would have to root the phone and make it a mobile hotspot outside of your agreement and hope they don't catch on to the usage amount to do it for $80/mo.
  9. FatherX

FatherX Supervising the Heros

Oddometer:

Give THIS a whirl. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan and this doesn't tap into a "hot spot" with a limited 5g or whatever.

Works pretty well. Daily browsing and misc. is no problem. Even Hulu or Netflix will adjust to available speed and run reasonably well..

Just another option.
  10. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It depends on your data usage.
    I replaced the DSL at my office with the Verizon Mifi. $80/mo. for 8GB. There are less expensive ones for less data.
    - Three of us share the connection.
    - Way faster than the "business class" DSL I had
    - 5 months and we have yet to go over 6GB.
    - I utilize the usage reminders. I get text and email at the usage levels I set. I set %50, %75, %90.
    - Awesome to be able to take my internet with me.

Only downside. It is flaky at the start of the day and often requires a re-boot.

If you have good Sprint coverage, I suggest looking that way.
  11. ImaPoser

Oddometer:
    I may end up going with easy tether eventually. Problem is, it doesn't really meet my needs for getting multiple other devices online or do it wireless. An unlimited data mobile hotspot would be better, but I don't know of anyone who offers one.
  12. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    I like the Sensation and it may be my next phone. My rooted, unlocked, de-Winmo'ed HTC HD2 is just running too well to swap it at this time. It has Android 2.2, a 4.3" screen, 1ghz Snapdragon cpu, 5mp camera and 16gb external memory. I'm on myfamilymobile.com for $45 pm unlimited talk/text with pay as you go data, pretty happy with it. Simplemobile.com with $40 pm unlimited talk/text/data looks real interesting, I'm thinking of moving to that in Jan.
  13. ImaPoser

Oddometer:
    With two kids at home who are either watching movies or playing xbox live online, I bet I would smoke those limits pretty quick. :doh
  14. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    I have gotten addicted to Otterbox cases. I put one on my HD2 and have dropped my phone from the cab of a big rig to the asphalt, approx a 6' fall. The case wasn't even damaged! My phone looks pristine like the day I got it. I have one coming for my hand me down iPhone 3gs for less than $10 from Amazon.

[​IMG]
  15. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up the Droid 4 :clap

Now I just need an hour or 2 to customize it :lol3
  16. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Otterbox cases are good, however keep in mind that they (like most cases) are not waterproof, and depending on the model, they tend not to slide in and out of pockets very easily. I had one for my Motorola Atrix that I ended up returning because of the pocket issue. I ended up going with a Seidio Surface case.
  17. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    4G LTE in my room is.....

24.5 Mbps down
    7.237 Mbps up

:eek1

For comparison my FIOS off the Verizon wireless router is:

21.54 Mbps down
    15.44 Mbps up
  18. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    I wish I had access to either one of those services!!!

What is the ping on the LTE service. You should be able to go to pingtest.net to find out (same company as speedtest.net)

19. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    It's accessing a server all the way out in NYC but the ping is 46ms and now the upload is 14.6 Mbps :eek1
  20. ImaPoser

Oddometer:
    Fuck. Just shattered the screen on my galaxy S2. I'm gonna guess my best bet is going to bepay the early termination fee and go back to a stupid phone. :baldy