Advice on a Guzzi CalVin

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Pica Hudsonia, May 21, 2012.

1. Pica Hudsonia

Pica Hudsonia Super-dupergenius

Oddometer:
    I know I should be asking this on the Wild Guzzi forum or Guzzitech, but I'm not a member there yet, and there seem to be a few knowledgeable MG folks here too.

Today I went to look at a used 2007 California Vintage. Only 4000 miles and change on the clock, but it appears to have been given less than ideal TLC in its short life, to wit:

- Chrome is starting to peel off the right side cover (the triangualar-ish one by the rider's knee). Some other chrome looks a bit worn, scratched, or starting to let go of the steel pieces beneath, e.g., on the front fender and pannier racks.

- Aluminum pieces have that dull, frosty appearance that indicates surface corrosion. This is particularly evident on the valve covers and throttle bodies.

- A tube going into the left valve cover (breather line?) looks like it was wrapped with some foil tape and then just crammed into position, when I think it should be on some kind crimped fitting, or at least secured to a barbed nipple with a hose clamp. (Wish I knew more about how these machines are supposed to look. I'm a total newb to Guzzis!)

- It shows a lot of little scratches and scuffs... nothing major, but more wear than I'd expect on a bike this young.

- The latch to one of the pannier lids is broken/partly missing.

On the upside, it starts easily and runs smoothly. The owner even let me take it around the block. I LOVED the seating position, the styling, and the sound it makes. Darling Wife even liked it a lot--a major plus.

Only other concerns were a few noises that I think might be normal for these engines, but I'm not sure. Beneath the rumbling baritone of the exhaust, there was a high-pitched mechanical whine clearly audible, almost like the timing gears of a Honda ST 1300. And the clutch rattles when disengaged (lever held in) with the engine idling and trans in neutral. Are these sounds normal, or at least inconsequential?

Lastly, what are these bikes selling for? Asking price for this one is $6500. I think that's reasonable for a bike with so much to offer. But it's a little rough around the edges, so I'm hoping you all can give me some perspective, like "All Italian bikes suffer in the metal finish dept., something you just have to accept," or maybe, "Lots of these are available in the $5k range if you're willing to look around a bit and maybe do a fly and ride," ...something like that.

As always, I'm very appreciative of any info you fellas can offer. :ear
  2. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the bike has sat outside, or has lived in a harsh environment.

My 2000 model California doesn't suffer any of the ills which you note on this Cal Vin.

Aluminum bits require occasional polishing. Later Cal Vins have chrome valve covers and footpeg brackets.

The valve clearances on these bikes mean there is noise. The clutches are dry, so they rattle.

I don't know what to tell you other than if it doesn't feel right, it doesn't feel right. :dunno

You can buy '07 Cal Vins cheaper than that. They'll have higher miles, but they may be in better condition...
  3. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    The condition is like any bike- there is a lot to be said about how it was cared for by looking at it. Only you can judge how this impacts your choice. To me, it sounds like the person didn't really care for his motorcycle much (and never rode it).

The valves are screw/locknut adjust, so they are slightly more noisy than hydros. The clutch will rattle like you describe as it is dry. The rest of the items seem like an easy fix with some elbow grease and a handfull of parts.

Price might be a tad high if you have to sink any cash into it. Fluid changes (all 3) seem to be in order.
  4. Scott of the Sahara

Scott of the Sahara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can get a new old stock Moto Guzzi for that price range. I am not sure what the California goes for, but I would wait and find a well care for bike to purchase.
    Where do you live?
  5. Pica Hudsonia

Oddometer:
    I'm in Utah, but totally open to a fly and ride. I've been watching the inventory at Moto International, and will even be in Seattle next month. Trouble is, the new old stock Guzzis they've had in stock lately are not models that interest me. I really want a California.
  6. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Pica Hudsonia

Oddometer:
    Word, kirb!

For some reason, I just went back and read something I recently posted in the Thumpers forum here at ADV. It was advice for a guy looking at a used Suzuki DRZ (the model I currently own). Here's what I told him:

Weird, huh? Almost prophetic, like I was answering my own question in advance. I sure wish this CalVin LOOKED a little less rough; as it is, I doubt it was well cared for--cosmetically or mechanically. Right now, I'm shying away from it, although I haven't totally ruled it out yet.
  8. Vibr8r

Vibr8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard that some of the spray-and-rinse cleaners will cause problems with your finish if they are not rinsed thoroughly. Parts are expensive, so adjust your offer price accordingly.

The clutch on my 2004 California has two dry plates which make the noise you're describing. A single plate such as found on my BMW makes no noise.

I would ask for maintenance records. Without them, adjust your offer price accordingly.

It sometimes takes a few days for wildguzzi to approve your registration. Once it's approved, introduce yourself and ask them what you posted here. Don't be surprised if someone volunteers to help you look at the bike.
  9. Pica Hudsonia

Oddometer:

Thanks for the link, wanna. I'll keep an eye on those listings.