New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    I hear Aprilia 550 and I think...ride, rebuild, ride, rebuild, ri-rebuild.
  2. The Draft

The Draft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Total Noob and looking at getting a 690 and there is a week of great reading here!
  3. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I mixed water and oil during the 2010 Wild west rally (rallymoto) in Washington. Then I had it rebuilt when I was in California at Longbeach Aprilia by Amauri Nunez. (Former Aprilia USA supermoto lead mechanic when they won pikes peak in 09). That was 2k miles ago and she runs good.

Anyway, my $.02

The SXV is has amazing power, sound, looks, and fun factor. Since my rebuild, I have not had any problems. I wouldn't attempt a RTW trip on it though :D
    The 690 you sacrifice some in the "cool" factor but you more then make up for in reliability.
  4. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really? What could possibly be cooler than an orange chromo trellis chassis filled with a stonking 690cc lump, suspended by WP, and stopped by Brembo?

:raabia
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    70 HP fire breathing, 280lb twin with Italian breeding, suspended by Sachs and stopped by BETTER Brembo parts. :lol3 I still regret getting rid of it sometimes, but there aren't any tracks around where I live now, and the SXV was really born to be ridden on a track.
  6. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    gray trellis frame:
    [​IMG]
  7. Pantah

Oddometer:
    Jeepers, that's a beaut! Me :raabia that one too...
  8. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, what he said. Less weight, more power, what's not to like?

Honestly, I rarely use my 690 off-road, and only put about 5k miles per year on it. The Aprilia 550 would be better for the things I actually use the 690 for, but worse for the things I wish I had time, physical fitness, close/easy access to, i.e. the bitchin long-distance adventure riding like the Mojave Trail. But it would do them.

9. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Ok. I found some pictures from my 2010 from when I relocated the fuel filter. Hopefully this helps clear up any confusion.

[​IMG]
    A picture of the longer piece of hose from the tank to the filter. The Blue heat shrink is just to protect he hose from rubbing on the tank bolt and zipties.

[​IMG]
    A picture of the filter and loop. (I used a metal NAPA filter on this bike) I think there are pros and cons to the metal or plastic filter. I do like being able to see the element in the plastic filter.
  10. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Team- My '12 is going in for it's 1k checkup (2k miles on the odo actually) on Dec. 10th and I have a few questions.

I bought the bike used with a hair over 800 miles on her. All of the normal documents, papers, owners manual, warranty information and things normally included in the briefcase were water damaged due to some flooding in the previous owners carport. All of this printed material was thrown out.

Can anyone shed some light or forward the warranty information on what IS and IS NOT covered in the factory warranty on the '12 bikes?

This is the first bike I have ever owned while still under factory warranty and I don't want to get taken to the cleaners and forced to pay for on B.S***t dealer charges for repairs, fault code reading, weak battery/charging system issues the dealer will bill KTM NA for.

Does anyone have a scan of the warranty on these bikes they could forward?

Digging this bike like none I have ever owned before!!

Dirty
  11. Pantah

Oddometer:
    You really should call a dealer. I have a 2012. The warranty is 1 year and covers everything except consumables and maintenance. Mine had a low oil pressure light start coming on. They had the bike two weeks before and replaced a lot of parts trying to find it. Turned out during the first service, they installed a 2011 oil filter by mistake. No problem other than the light, but make sure they use 2012 parts as there have been changes. Seems the shop manuals are not available yet in the US for some reason as well.

How about your tool kit? That was in that messenger bag too.
  12. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there an organized repository for the 690 similar to the HOW 950/990 one at http://ktm950.info?
  13. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
  14. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  16. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
  17. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I own 690rider.com and I would be happy to offer it as a domain name and cover the cost of the domain.
  18. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!:clap
  19. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    good Idea. As the 690 starts getting older it would be great to have a site that lists and then explains how to fix things...How to do valve adjustments for dummies (me) would be an excellent first item!
  20. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I'm too busy to build the site, but I'm happy to help make it happen. Maybe do a decal/t-shirt sale to raise a few bux to cover the hosting. My Wife can do the decals and I have a t-shirt source. Seems like a win win for everyone.

Who wants to make a logo?