Gerbings out of stock

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by okennon, Nov 2, 2012.

1. okennon

okennon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have some insight as to why Gerbings would be out of stock of many sizes of their very popular jacket liners?
    Wow ...with Xmas coming and cool/cold weather already here that sucks. They did say by the end of Nov. We'll see !
  2. Railbender

Railbender Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are popular and people are buying them for Xmas! :D

Have you checked with various stocking dealers or just Gerbing's?

:freaky
  3. GerbingsGuy

GerbingsGuy n00b

Oddometer:
    Understand where you're coming from. Demand has been higher than ever (incredibly so), and it's put a temporary hurt on supply (our decision to make our Jacket, Vest and Pant Liners in the USA has been a HUGE success, with the results you cite). Who'd have thought there'd be this much growth in this sluggish economy, but there you have it. And believe me no one hates being sold out more than we do. I can tell you our factory is running two shifts to get caught up, and to make sure we get products into our dealers' hands with all due speed.

We appreciate you choosing Gerbing's. Like you, we know that the smooth even heat, the Thinner/Lighter/Strong/Faster advantages of Microwire, and our world-class Gerbing's customer service are all things you'll be grateful to have on your side for many years. Just a few more weeks now, the heat will be here, and all will be right with the world.
  4. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    Hey GerbingsGuy, are you like an ADV contact for the manufacturer? I have a question about mine and was going to contact customer service Monday, is that the best way to go?

Thanks,

Craig
    PMR
  5. GerbingsGuy

GerbingsGuy n00b

Oddometer:
    First, our Customer Service team is the best in the industry. They know their stuff and they're exceptionally helpful. You can contact them at 800.646.5916. Or, if you prefer, you can ask me a question here.

I'm on a lot of boards, so it might take me a moment or three to answer you. But I'm also on late at night sometimes, so you might get an answer when the rest of the world is closed for the evening.

What's your question?
  6. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I've been a Gerbing user for almost 10 years, they are awesome. I almost feel like I'm cheating when I wear them. I just got back from NC and rode everyday the last 2 weeks! I just got a newer microwire model and had a question, I'll send you a PM.

Thanks!

PMR
  7. MuddySump

MuddySump Adventurer

Oddometer:
    man...all that build up and we're not gonna see the question :kboom
  8. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a question, just a bitch! People are clueless about inventory control and availability, just like the OP. Gets really tedious to hear that kind of complaint.
  9. BigChris99

BigChris99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Really? How was the OP supposed to know what Gerbings inventory was like? Yeah, maybe he complained a little, so

what? Didn't sound like a bitch to me. And, his question was answered in a timely, courteous fashion. Now we all know

what's going on with Gerbings inventory. Did you?
  10. okennon

okennon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was not bitching because I already own a vest and wanted to upgrade to a jacket...so I'm warm.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. The company Email reciept only mentioned you were out of stock and not an explanation. So thanks...a warm devotee
  11. GerbingsGuy

GerbingsGuy n00b

Oddometer:
    Glad to be of service. It's something we at Gerbing's take great pride in.
  12. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    When are you guys going to stop claiming your gloves are "waterproof" and adjust the language to "water resistant"?

Thousands of little holes in untaped seams isn't "waterproof" by anyone's standard.

Yes, yes... I know you're saying only the liner material is "waterproof". But it's not really. The seams aren't taped. I and many others took the "Waterproof/windproof/breathable Aquatex® liner" to mean that the gloves have a "waterproof liner" and are indeed "waterproof".

I think you should make it clear on the product page that the gloves will leak if exposed to anything more than a light rain.
  13. Spummerr

Spummerr Voyager

Oddometer:
    Gerbings gear is well worth waiting for. What's a few weeks!!
  14. dmftoy1

dmftoy1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The T5's I bought explicitly stated that the gloves are not waterproof and to spray them with water repellant if you'll be riding in the wet. So looks like they already are!?!?
  15. tshelver

tshelver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beween here (SE Asia) and there (Southern Africa)
    I had that experience with two (older) sets of Gerbings gloves. And a few other non-heated 'waterproof' gloves. The membrane helps, but the glove outside of that will just fill up with water over time.
    So far, the best have been a set of Held 'winter' gloves which are no longer imported, but even they will start to clammy and get wet after a while, and they cost me more than the Gerbings heated gloves.

And you can spray with all the waterproof spray you like, IMHO nearly all 'waterproof' gloves don't have much chance to stay waterproof, by design.
    Just too many seams and openings where water can get in.
    The other big issue is the glove / jacket interface, that is where I've experienced the biggest leaks, and by design, it seems most gloves are engineered to look good and be comfortable in dry weather, not to work well with a waterproof jacket.

The heated gloves can be nice, if run on their own controller (the way I layer, they are always too cold if connected to a jacket), but 99% of the time they are just too fiddly to use.

BTDT, now I rely on heated grips and good all-weather or winter gloves .
    I have a set of well-designed snowmobile gloves, that used as designed

with heated grips, are more comfortable than my Gerbings, and keep my hands warmer and dryer.

But when conditions are really nasty out, nothing beats a set of hippo hands or similar, along with heated grips.
  16. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Actually, it doesn't. The T5 page says nothing about anything not being waterproof but does come with a "Hypora® waterproof, breathable membrane". http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/T5.php

The G3s come with a "Waterproof/windproof/breathable Aquatex® liner to provide protection from water and wind (Leather is not waterproof and should be treated with Nikwax Glove proof)"

The description states they come with a waterproof liner. I made the mistake of assuming that a waterproof liner meant just that. It's a "waterproof" liner. The liner isn't waterproof. Gerbing doesn't seal the seams so there's thousands of tiny holes in the "Waterproof/windproof/breathable Aquatex® liner".

The shell of your jacket with a waterproof liner isn't "waterproof", but the jacket is still considered "waterproof". Actually, the fabric on the outside of a bonded waterproof jacket isn't "waterproof", either. The leather on my waterproof Sidi's boots isn't waterproof either. So, no I didn't expect the leather on the exterior of the glove to be "waterproof". However, I did expect the liner to be and I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation based on all the other gear and gear descriptions.

Here's all they have to do in order to make things clear:

"Water-resistant/windproof/breathable Aquatex® liner to provide protection from water and wind (Leather is not waterproof and should be treated with Nikwax Glove proof)"
  17. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    To the OP: If you haven't already... you could try a local Harley Dealer. Last fall I couldn't get my size anywhere from any dealer or on-line (medium) and I walked into the local Harley shop and saw a FULL rack of HD Branded Gerbings liners. Seems my local HD tough-guys either don't ride in winter or are too manly to wire up :D

Sure they are an extra $20 (IIRC) but if you're cold it might be an option.
  18. magallanas

magallanas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uh, a few COLD weeks of riding!!!
  19. moymurfs

moymurfs Truth has become unacceptable.

Oddometer:
    They get wiped out this time every year. Cold & Christmas.... 'nuff said.
  20. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Moymurfs is right. The smart time to buy heated gear is late spring/early summer.

Says the guy who just ordered a tent with a stove in it! :D

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express