Anyone else rebuilding stock DL650 shocks?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Two Wheeled 'Tard, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Two Wheeled 'Tard

Two Wheeled 'Tard Banned

Oddometer:
    Given that Sasquatch is no longer in business, is there anyone else who can rebuild the stock DL650 shock?

I have a shock that was previously rebuilt by him on my '08 V-Strom 650, but it could use a servicing as well as some valving adjustments and a spring more suited to my weight.
  2. WFRTony

WFRTony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Two Wheeled 'Tard

Two Wheeled 'Tard Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I sent them an e-mail. Their prices are pretty high, $180 for just a rebuild but $475 for a revalve/respring. If I'm spending the better part of $500 anyway, I might as well cough up a little more for a two-way adjustable.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i'm guessing most will want at least $400 to do anything worth wild.
    why not http://store.ricorshocks.com/product_p/vs650-r-1001.htm
  5. Two Wheeled 'Tard

Two Wheeled 'Tard Banned

Oddometer:
    Well again, if I'm going to spend that much, I think I'd rather cough up the extra few hundred and get a two-way adjustable Elka or something.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  7. zig505

zig505 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had my dl650 shock done by Cogent Dynamics.
    Motocd.com
    Could not be happier, they are located in Western North Carolina. Give Rick a Call.
    RedEX likes this.
  8. birch2900

birch2900 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rick Tannenbaum at Cogent Dynamics in Fletcher, NC offers basic refreshing thru complete custom shocks for V-Stroms.
    RedEX likes this.
  9. Two Wheeled 'Tard

Two Wheeled 'Tard Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice guys. I've tried e-mailing Cognet through their website, but I haven't heard back from them. Everyone else I've e-mailed has been super-responsive though. I'm still waffling between getting a fully adjustable aftermarket shock for ~$1000, or just getting the stock one rebuilt and then also having the money left over for a steering damper. Decisions, decisions . . .
  10. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Our Website was hacked a few weeks back and the restored copy was/ is old. the email link goes to a dead spot. The email address that is shown on the site (raceparts@motocd.com" is fine). Folks can call us at (828) 628 9025 also

This is our most busy time of year and I have not been able to address the site issues as we are a smaller company and it is either me or Ken doing the work on our customers equipment. Joyce has been out for the last couple days to be at hew brothers bed side as he fights for his life after a serious cardiac emergency.

Sorry for any inconvenience folks, we are going full speed in the shop and all the normal work is going through at a good turnaround rate (1-2 weeks) . Special projects are taking longer.

We have 2 DL 650 shocks in here right now that are getting rebuild, re-valving and new custom springs. As always our work is Dyno tuned and tested. Cogent Dynamics have been doing this work for over 10 years and our results speak for them selves. We appreciate your business!
  11. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Farmer Hank

Farmer Hank Stay out of my orchard - Let my peaches be!

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Rick at Cogent. I've used him several times and am very happy. I've also used him to re-valve big name / high dollar shocks that weren't close to right from the factory.
    RedEX likes this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Indeed. I've used Rick for my DR650 shock rebuild and it's great.
    Didn't realize he was doing DL650 shocks too.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    What's the latest Rick on your DL650 shock rebuilds? Don't hear much about these vs your DR rebuilds.

What is your process, parts used & prices vs the competition? Going with your DDC valves up front with proper springs, but still need a rear solution.

Thanks, Bill
    NC Rick likes this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sasquatch is back
    http://www.adventurepowersports.us/suzuki-vstrom.html
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I see that Ricor, Cogent, Progressive, Elka, Touratech/Tractive, Ohlins, HyperPro & Nitron make rear replacement shocks for the DL.
    Anyone else?
  17. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    You forgot one of the better options (IMHO, of course) - Wilbers.

BTW, I had two Elka shocks that weren't made quite as ordered and had to go back to Canada for modifications (with the associated hassle, extra import duties the US government wanted, even though I had already them the first time because they didn't mark it as warranty work, etc.), I am not sure I'd recommend them.

Gustavo
    eakins likes this.
  18. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Bill, thanks for thinking of us! Cogent do rebuild those shocks. Most of our customers are opting for http://www.motocd.com/product/worlds-edge-shock-suzuki-v-strom/
    As a full replacement. Reworking the stocker; figuring parts and labor, is going to be close to $200 or even a little more and that is leaving some things "unaddressed" such as having an afterthought nitrogen fill port (which hurts the shocks reliability IMO) , the stock piston and non replaceable wearband, oem emulsion design and the crummy drawn tube body. Adding a new spring adds around another $100 so in my way of thinking, the $300 is better spent on a high quality replacement shock where by keeping your stocker, if you should sell the bike, swapping back the oem shock and reselling the used Cogent or other high quality, non-emulsion design shock will not only be less expensive but also give a far superior performance.

We can add a new damper piston from Cogent or RaceTech which adds around 150 bucks and we could even add a separator piston ( not recommended because of the inaccuracies in setting piston depth) which together almost would bring the price to the far better quality "World's Edge" shock. Over the last couple years we also have the http://www.motocd.com/product/remote-preload-adjuster-for-cogent-shocks/
    Remote Preload option that can be added too.
    RedEX and eakins like this.
  19. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    I'm digging this one out just in case anyone else is looking at their options
    This year my 30K miles 2012 bike decided it was time for the shock to go south. It started leaking something fierce.

I looked around at my Covid impacted options.
    I'm on a tight budget, I use my bike almost exclusively for commuting to work and maybe one or two short, like two or three day tours a year.
    I hardly ever used the remote preload adjuster because I hardly ever change my preload. I never ride with a passnger. and the roads I ride are all pretty much the same.

While I wasn't crazy about the stock suspension, once set up for my weight I didn't adjust it. and I don't feel I need adjustable compression damping, or remote reservoir for that matter. The stock suspension was fine for what I was using the bike for.

A replacement shock from Suzuki was a heart stopping high $1300.
    Talk about a high profit margin part. I bet they don't even pay $150 for the shock.

Looking around at the other options I found that Progressive was $580, with a lead time of around 4 months, Fox didn't have a decent shock, Penske no longer makes shocks for the bike and no one had one on a shelf, Cogent's shock is $750 and Ohlins was $650

Rebuilding the stock shock is around $400 and there's zero guarantee that it would last even a couple of years.
    And there is only a couple of places that do it, Cogent got out of the game simply because it wasn't worth it to them.

I settled on the Ohlins, I hurts to pay out so much money, I really wish there was a decent reliable pragmatic shock for these bikes, nothing fancy just something that works.
    Hell I outfit my Tacoma with 5100 Bilsten shocks and struts for less then I'm spending for one motorcycle shock.
    JeepDawg, SilentRay and Dao1 like this.
  20. SilentRay

SilentRay Wheres that go Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember the days when you could get a progressive shock shipped to your door in a few days . Damn covid .
    squish likes this.