Things Dealers tell Customers

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ak_diane, Aug 16, 2012.

1. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    "Don't worry, they all do that."

:hide
  2. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took my sled into a dealer for some warranty work, wanted them to do some clutch setup for me while it was there.

Called them a few days later and they had just gotten the warranty parts in and installed, wanted to doublecheck what they were doing with the clutch.

They tried selling me a jet kit.
    Except my sled's fuel-injected.

Only time I've been back there is when they have the parts I need that nobody else has in stock.
  3. spanky

spanky Well, maybe....

Oddometer:
    About a month ago and saw a new bike I was interested in. I walked over to the sales manager who knows me from past dealings at this and the previous shop he's worked at. I inquire as to whether or not BMW would be coming up with any special financing options and was basically given the cold shoulder, dimsissed, actually, as if I was bothering him. This guy runs hot and cold like that and has for quite some time. I still buy parts and have my service work done by them but ended up buying elsewhere.
  4. DJGypsy

DJGypsy Ewok Taxidermist

Oddometer:
    this happened to me about two years ago, when i was researching for motorcycle purchase #2. i had bought #1 from this place in 2008, but they've gone by the wayside since.

me: why is there no oil pressure warning indicator on this bike?

sales idiot: it's okay, the cylinders are coated in molybdenum. these new ones can run dry until you can top off on oil.

:huh:huh:huh:huh

me: *pause, with stare*...i don't know if i should congratulate you on your bravery at trying to pass that off on me as truth or if i should be insulted that you think i'm that stupid. where's your sales manager?

sales idiot: he's out today

me: and so am i. *leaves*

seminole power sports, sanford, FL
    suffice to say, they won't get another dime from me. they get bent out of shape when you ask when they'll have more chain lube in stock.
  5. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    A loooong time ago I entertained the thought of buying a Harley. My wife and I were at the local dealership looking at some kinda softtail something or other, and the salesman comes over and asks "Can I answer any questions for ya?" I said " Sure, how much is this?" He says "If you have to ask, it's too much." I told him I needed to know so I could fill out the check, and walked out.

I'll never enter "The Pirate's Cove" again.
  6. DarthJ

DarthJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Maybe it's my wit and charm, but I haven't had a problem with a dealer mounting parts I've ordered elsewhere. For me it was a Ford dealer, brought brake pads and rotors to them and asked to install, paid them the labor fee and all were happy.
  7. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    I had an aneurysm the size of my fist on my GS's front tire. The only nearby shop was a Harley-D one. I pulled in and looked at its tire inventory. It had one the right size but not the style I wanted but beggars can't be choosers so I said I'd like that tire and if I pulled the wheel off, could they change the tire for me?

No way can I do a tubeless tire change in the field.

They said their tire changer will not work on my BMW wheels. Harley folks are so nice....
  8. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went to my nearest custom shop a few weeks ago, with an on-line purchased tire for my RT; told him to go ahead and add a markup since I didn't buy from him. Dropped the bike off one morning, picked it up that afternoon, paid $60. I saved money compared to having him order it, he still made his profit, everybody wins...it's all about creating win-win situations...doesn't have to be win-lose all the time. :freaky
  9. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Yes,the local Honda shop is fine with changing tires no matter where they came from,they also have such good deals on tires I buy them there whenever I can.

Its a customer service thing,even if a shop only makes the tire change $ but they do it with a smile,balance the tire correctly, use good wheel weights that dont fly off. It creates more business by doing what a customer needs,said customer might come back and buy something.
    Or tell friends "Those guys are great,great shop!"

Being a sourpuss and telling customers that we wont change your tire cant possibly help anything.
  10. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    A local bike shop (parts/gear/accessories/service, not a dealer) has a big sign at the desk with the standard charges for a bunch of things.

including
    TIRE MOUNT $25
    NOT BOUGHT HERE $50
  11. colodak

colodak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was looking to purchase my first bike back in May, I spent nearly a month shopping around. Knew I wanted either a V-strom, Versys, or BMW G650 or F650.

Since I was working off some inheiritance money, I had upto $10,000 cash I could spend. But, there was a catch, 4 yr, 4 months earlier the wife and I had filed Chp. 13 bankruptcy, so I still cannot finance anything.

Walked into one Suzuki dealer, had one bike, sat on it, kicked the tires, salesman was beyond high pressure. Ended up buying a helmet from them, told them I would be back later to look at the bike more.

Next week, wife and I ended up at RPM Powersports (Suzuki, Polaris, CanAm dealer), only because they had a V-Strom 650 Adventurer ABS. Website said $9,500. Research showed the avg. price paid was just under $9,000 for the same. Cool, figured I would make a deal, since I was a cash buyer. All he wanted me to do was finance, when I told him I couldn't finance because of the ongoing bankruptcy, he suddenly became very judgemental. Telling that bikes are not guarenteed transportation in bankruptcy, and that none of their financing would touch me til the bankruptcy was 5 yrs beyond discharge. When I reminded him I was a cash buyer, he became even more indignant telling me I should give the cash to my creditors. I smiled and walked out.

Went next door to BMW/triumph. Discussed financing and cash purchases. They said if I wanted to finance, come back the day I received my BK discharge papers and they would finance me as long as I had 20% down. When I brought up a cash purchase, they were even happier, but didn't really have what I wanted at the time.

When I bought my Versys, looked at the bike one week, loved the color. Salesman had me believing the bike was used. Said I'd be back, two weeks later I stopped by again. Same bike still there, hmmm, looked it over, different salesman, fired it up, showed me it was brand new with 9 miles. Asked the price, told him I was a cash buyer and asked if they would deal (bike was 3 yrs old). He said maybe. 3 hrs later, wife and I went back, cash in hand. 45 minutes later, I was riding my new toy home, and for a price I was willing to pay.
  12. ak_diane

ak_diane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The couple places I've been to have different service rates for owner supplied parts vs shop supplied parts - I understand and don't really mind.

Reminds me of another zinger:
    "Tire change, off the bike - that will be about 2-3 weeks out..."
  13. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Why the hell would you, as a cash buyer, tell a salesman you're in bankruptcy? That just makes no sense.

Oh, & if a saleman turns down a cash purchase, mayhaps he should find another line of work.
  14. Road Program

Road Program Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No shit!!! What is it with dealers and that damn Parts 411 catalog? Motorcycles are a hobby for me, not my business. I shouldn't know where and how to get better parts and accessories than the dealer can, and get them faster and cheaper. One of the sales guys is selling a [used] set of tires on the local rider forum for $10 less ($350) than the price of a new set from several online retailers and is saying they are a $600 set of tires. $600?! From where? I should tell him I'll sell him all the sets of these tires he wants for $500.
  15. trailwing

trailwing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went into a Harley dealer one day to buy a bike I knew was assembled and freestanding in their warehouse (100 feet away). They refused to let me look at the bike. I was polite and everything.

Pissed... I went to another dealer, had the bike transferred and bought it from them.
  16. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Can't confirm this story, but I'd like to think it's true somewhere. Heard it on the radio in the nineties.

Lady takes her Saab into a shop because it's running rough. Leaves it for a few days. They call her & say the car is fixed. She shows up & asks what was wrong. The guy says the GFUB unit was bad & had to be replaced. She asks what that is, & he reaches down beside the desk & pulls an oily part out of a pan. He says that's the unit & asks her if she wants to keep it. She recoils & declines. Then pays her bill & leaves.

His partner, whom witnesses this, asks what the hell is a GFUB unit. Guy responds, nothing. God Forsaken Ugly Broad. Nothing wrong with her car, but she was so ugly, I had to charge her for it. :lol3
  17. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Back to the topic: "Things Dealers tell Customers"

- "They all do that" :rofl

- "You don't need the OEM recommended Agip 10w/60. We always use Castrol GTX..." :huh

- "I can order that for you" :rofl

- "that will go on our next order.... Next Tuesday" :rofl
  18. trailwing

trailwing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Valve shim? For your tire? What's it look like?
  19. humvee

humvee Long timer

Oddometer:

Really? Which one?
  20. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    No kidding. The "it's overhead so there's no profit" argument is complete bullshit. The guys in the shop are getting paid the same hourly wage whether they're mounting tires at $30 each or picking their nose in the lunchroom. So the dealer is pissing away $60 of income by not mounting "walk-in" tires.

Then again, if the dealer is chooses to operate that way then it is their business and their right to do so.