19' cast wheel on '08+ KLR forks?

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by smash81, Oct 15, 2012.

1. smash81

smash81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trying to get some more info on what is required to get a 19" cast wheel on a pair of '08+ KLR forks.

Will be "dual sporting" my Ninja 650R.

I know Tony has done the DL1000 wheel, I sent him a PM but never heard back.

Any help here? Doesn't have to be the Vstrom wheel... Just need to know what is required. I'm not a machinist, so would need to have the parts made.
  2. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Basically you are talking axle size, spacers, and mounting the disc caliper.

Here is a resource of axle sizes.

http://scandalon.com/2009/06/motorcycle-front-axle-diameter-chart/

They have other interchangabilities on the site.

Spacers come from your friend with a lathe and a piece of 1" aluminum bar stock.

A little imagination and some cardboard can usually get you acaliper bracket without a milling machine.

Good luck

Don
  3. smash81

smash81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Don!!

I looked through that axle list twice (my eyes are utterly crossed now!) and couldn't find the DL1000 listed.

I'm hoping for specific info. Like, "you need a vstrom axle, 2 ____ width spacers..." and maybe a pic of a caliper mounting bracket? I'm no good at fabricating, am hoping for help from those who have come before so I don't have to scrap the idea of making my Ninja a bit more capable.
  4. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    you're starting point is the axle diameter used with your 41mm KLR forks, which i think is 17mm. you're looking for a wheel that will work with this diameter axle.

second, you're looking for a wheel that either already uses a 17mm wheel bearing, or an instance where a 17mm bearing is available in the correct diameter and width. for example, the DL650 uses a 17mm axle with a 17x40x12 bearing, while the DL1000 uses a 20mm axle with a 20x47x14 bearing. there is most likely a 17x47x14 bearing/seal that will work with the DL1000 wheel. Easy to check availability online.

third, the wheel is going to be centered, although the ER6 clamps are not the same centers as the KLR clamps. with the forks clamped in place on the ER6, it's easy to get an accurate measurement between the inside fork faces at the axle location. the wheel hub width can also be easily measured at the outside wheel bearing surfaces. the difference between these numbers divided by 2 yields the length of the 17mm spacers needed to center the wheel. often it's much easier and less expensive to buy a pair of used 17mm spacers and have them turned to length. these spacers should be steel, the bearing seal cuts grooves in aluminum spacers too easily.

do yourself a favor a get some basic metric measuring tools, cheap at the big box. get a carbide tipped scribe at the same time.

[​IMG]

draw yourself a picture and fill in the blanks with the measurements.

[​IMG]

the easiest brake setup to use with the 41mm KLR forks is to stay with the late model KLR650 caliper, and use a 290mm SV650 rotor with the DL wheel. use a braided SS brake line in KLR length. the caliper will need a spacer, but this simple piece is easier to make than you might think once you take a few measurements.

you're fortunate in the sense that you already know that these parts will come together correctly on your ER6 to make a very acceptable suspension when coupled with your Versys shock.

the specifics you're hoping to find only take a few minutes to determine yourself.

this is an example of a home shop built caliper spacer bracket, yours will look different. these are not difficult to make.

[​IMG]
  5. smash81

smash81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As always, you're the man! Thanks for spelling it out caveman style.
  6. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    What triple clamps are you using?
  7. smash81

smash81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ninja's. Seeing as I can't machine or fabricate hardly at all, trying to KISS.
  8. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    The biggest challenge will be the axle, it will need extensive machining.
  9. smash81

smash81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well crud. That'll stop me right in my tracks that's for sure.
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    why would there be extensive machining, there is no need to turn a custom axle.

if you had the parts on hand, this swap could be done in a day, including swapping in a Versys shock.
  11. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the way I figured it when helping FL Pepper with her conversion, which didn't happen due to the machining required.

Vstrom 1k axle doesn't fit in the klr forks. KLR axle no worky as the ninja triples are much wider than the klr triples. Ninja axle doesn't fit in klr forks.

Did not have a Vstrom 650 axle.
  12. smash81

smash81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hmmmm, yeah that will be an issue. I wish Tony would have decided to help out. :(

Anyone know of a resource that gives axle length?
  13. smash81

smash81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm going to gracefully bow out of this project. This will require a more skilled hand than mine. Thank you for the advice and taking time to reply!
  14. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    Should be able to get a bolt the diameter and length you need at a fastener store. I would get one that is pretty hard because it will be a bit longer then stock.
    Dont give up its not that big of a deal and you will be proud when your done. Even if you have one made it will not cost that much. GO FOR IT!
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    don't agree. the OP doesn't think his skills and mindset are in the game. if you start out that way, the project will not be fun, the duration too long, and the outcome doubtful.

if an aspiring builder doesn't enjoy wanging things together, working through the process of design and fabrication, trouble shooting the inevitable issues that arise with a custom bike, then it's better to stay on the sidelines.

if it's not fun, it's not worth the effort.
  16. smash81

smash81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, JDRocks hit the nail on the head. I don't particularly enjoy fabrication, I enjoy riding. If I had a second bike I'd give this a shot, as I wouldn't be pressed to complete the job quickly. What I was hoping for was a specific list of "you need this," as I could gather everything before I started tearing down the bike and I'm completely capable of putting all the bits together. I tried contacting Tony as he's done this exact build, but never heard back. So, I started this thread to see if I could get a detailed and complete shopping list together. Thanks folks for your help! Really, been most useful, saved me from digging a hole I [possibly] wouldn't be able to get out of.
  17. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    It's not rocket science although some seen to think it is. If you never try you will never learn.
  18. smash81

smash81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I agree, which is why I would continue if the Ninja was a second bike.
  19. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    Well.... i know you want to do this build or you wouldn't have started a thead.Don't you have some down time from riding seeing how you live in denver?
    You don't need all the parts to start this build. Start with the forks. Swap them then work on the axle then spacers and ect.
    Doesn't matter to me either way just trying to give
    it you a little push. Haha
    RIDE ON and be safe.:clap
  20. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know you've already decided to not do it Smash, but just FYI, from when I had a KLR, i remember it was very common to lace up a 19 rim to the stock KLR hubs. Never saw anyone on the KLR boards with a cast rim.