The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    The factory Service Manual is great. It can be purchased legally online, or via other means should one choose to do so. It is easy enough to follow, you will have no trouble.
  2. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

Hmmm?

Sorry about that. They must'a changed it because I got a Service Manual for my XT225. I also got an Owners Manual for my WR450F, but the Owners Manual for it is like a Service Manual, I guess since it's considered a racing bike.

edit: I just double checked the WR one is called an "Owners Service Manual".
  3. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:

Interesting, it looks like the service manual printable PDF was free online from Yamaha at least up until a few years ago then it became no longer available from Yamaha but some web sharing sites have it for download. I don't trust downloading from one of those sites. The wide availability of the free download probably explains why the actual manual isn't available as far as I can see. There is an EBay seller from Canada who implies he sells the service manual (CD or E-mail) but he doesn't specifically state that is Yamaha - I wonder if he has a copy of the free Yamaha PDF that he sells for $8 or so.

HardWorkingDog - do you recall how much your manual cost?

Thanks
  4. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    No, but they're not cheap. List price is $79--you can actually order them online from yamaha's website. I ordered mine from my dealer who gives me a small discount off list price. The part number is LIT-11616-XT-26--you can try some of the online OEM parts dealers and see if you can get it discounted. Try ronayers.com, servicehonda.com etc. The manual includes revisions to previous model years as well.
  5. woofer2609

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  6. maverick1

maverick1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I lost the 2009 XT250 deal with the 333 miles on it, because when I searched Craigslist I typed in "XT250" instead of "XT 250" with a space, so I never saw the ad until it was too late.
    I guess syntax matters when searching Craigslist.

Anyway, I found a 2007 with around 500 miles on it.
    Does the low mileage necessarily mean the bike, engine is in good shape?
    I guess the brake pads won't have much wear.
    Probably has never had an oil change.
    What service has to be done on a bike of this age/mileage? Oil, brake fluid, ?????
    Probably the original tires. Don't tires go bad/hard with age?
    Just wondering what the bike will need to be road/trail worthy.
    I hope the same fuel was not sitting in the tank and fuel system for the last 5 years.
    Anything you guys can think of would be appreciated.
  7. Crazy Canadian

Crazy Canadian All who wander r not lost

Oddometer:
    Personally I would change all fluids, including gas and maybe the tires. Would also do a full service and check brakes etc to ensure they are adjusted correctly before I would ride it.
  8. Crazy Canadian

Oddometer:
    Personally I would change all fluids, including gas would certainly swap the tubes and maybe the tires. Would also do a full service and check brakes etc to ensure they are adjusted correctly before I would ride it.
  9. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    You sound like you are kind of new to this stuff.
    I think CC is going a little overboard with all that at once. His choice.
    I’d just change the engine oil & clean the oil & air filters, check other things for any problem, then ride it. The oil & filters are a must.
    Deal with the rest only as as it comes up. Yeah, if the gas is that old you may have to deal with that. See how the gas smells & how it runs.
    Wouldn’t worry about 5 year old tires at all unless there is an obvious need. It’s not like they are 20 years old. Car rubber ain’t that much different than bike rubber. How old are your car tires?
    That 333 mile XT250 ad is still up. I know it doesn’t mean it ain’t sold. Gave you the link before.
    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/3450992622.html
  10. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Not any more.

Basically, all the XT225's are the same after they upped the electrical output in 2001(?), so I wouldn't let year make a difference, rely more on condition. Year doesn't seem to make much difference in price, they're all mostly between $1500-2000. Exceptions once in a while, but that seems to be the usual range.

Expect to pay at the higher end for some accessories such as factory kick start kit which is nice to have due to anemic electrical system. Use heated gear in the winter and you'll be push starting otherwise.
  11. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

Sorry to get your hopes up.
    The maual WAS available from Yamaha as a free download back then (2006?). Perhaps they figured that they 'might as well' since the bike was being replaced soon. No idea why they no longer offer it. I would have bought one from the dealer had it not been legitimately available on line then. I do that with all the other toys, I figure that it far too easy to make a $100 (or much more) mistake so the manual is a reasonable investment.

Bruce

Looking at Yamaha's website, they do still have the manual but it is no longer a free download, they want $79 for it now. It appears that Haynes has a service manual available, being written in English rather than translated, it might be easier to read than the factory one. Good Luck!
  12. OldGypsy

OldGypsy FoolForDirt

Oddometer:
    Patagonia, AZ - great area for Dual Sports
    A couple of years ago I bought an '04 with 775 miles on it. I assumed the 600 mile service had not been done, so I went the full route on that. The only issue I had with it was the chain was too stiff so that got replaced. Since then have put 7000 miles on it with no issues.
  13. Crazy Canadian

Oddometer:
    I freely admit I am one to go overboard on check a new bike. Don't want to find that hidden issue at 70 on the freeway. I swap out my tubes every 3 years even if they have not failed. Tires I swap out at 6 years even if they are not worn out. Once had a rear tube on my Bonneville go right after a tough stretch of mountain roads and if it had gone a mile sooner I probably would not be here.

Tires failing on a car typically does not have the same risks as a bike.
  14. Crazy Canadian

Oddometer:
  15. woofer2609

Oddometer:
  16. Crazy Canadian

Oddometer:
    I have a tach... Just is a rare option... And I think you are correct about being a 350... Didn't look that close to see before.
  17. woofer2609

Oddometer:
    A factory tach, really, that is super cool! Pics! What's the redline at?
    I've never hit the rev limiter on this engine, but do all the time on the wr250x, for some reason, guess there's no reason to rev above 7000.
  18. Crazy Canadian

Oddometer:
    On my way to Canada for the holidays... Remind me and I will post pics in the new year.
  19. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    This is a pretty old ignition system, do they really even have a rev limiter?
  20. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    It is built into the CDI. It will bounce off of the rev limiter if you really try.