2014 1190 Adventure Airbox

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by 2wdrift, May 5, 2014.

1. hewhohesit8s

hewhohesit8s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I talked to my dealer today and he checked the KTM site and my bike's VIN and there isn't a Service Bulletin (yet?) for the air box, so I'll be ordering the Uni before I head out on my trip to Inuvik. Hate to be stranded on the Dempster because of too much dust ingestion.
  2. 1190ADV

1190ADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Received and installed my Uni filter today(minus the pre-filters). Found very small traces of dust inside of my box (700 miles 2014 model). I believe it was coming from around the bottom of the filter. Like I said though it was a very small amount of dust, no harm done I believe.
  3. NorthVancpF

NorthVancpF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Manufacturing date was October 2013.
  4. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Looks like its hit it miss around that time frame. You got a good one. Good on ya!
  5. JefRo

JefRo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went on a three day ride with primitive camping a couple of months ago on my recently purchased '14 1190R. The UniFilter had not arrived so I disassembled the air box and installed some fine filter media from a neighbor who had acquired it from a Baja racer who uses it as additional dust filtering under extreme racing conditions. I also greased the air box seams. Knowing about the air box conditions, I also tried to mitigate dust ingestion by avoiding, as much as possible, fellow inmate dust generation during the ride. I estimate a couple hundred miles of moderate "dusty" conditions, of which the first day was predominately rain and mud. I think the rain and resultant moisture in the air box helped catch some of the dust prior to engine inhalation. Also, some blow-by in the air box from my new engine (only 150 miles) likely helped create a light film to also catch some dust, as evidenced by a pretty thick coating on the butterfly valves. However, I fear that quite a bit of fine dust was inhaled by my new beast.

https://jefro.smugmug.com/KTM-airbox/i-HqMNNmw/0/M/IMG_0751-M.jpg

https://jefro.smugmug.com/KTM-airbox/i-qNzCsPb/0/M/IMG_0754-M.jpg

https://jefro.smugmug.com/KTM-airbox/i-kf6chZQ/0/M/IMG_0755-M.jpg

https://jefro.smugmug.com/KTM-airbox/i-HBnkXxH/0/M/IMG_0756-M.jpg

For all of those with clean air boxes, you obviously have not been off the pavement. And for those that think that they have not ingested any dust, just remove the velocity stacks and rub the butterfly valve with your finger. Unless it is very bright and clean, your engine has likely ingested more than just pure air.

I do not have any evidence of engine damage, even minor, short of a leak down test. The engine starts fine under all conditions and appears to be breaking in nicely with no oil consumption evident. However, a small dust diet for a short time certainly did not do it any good. Time will tell.
  6. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no recall, else the 2013 would have had it's replaced a long time ago, KTM's OFFICIAL stance is, there is no problem with the airbox.

KTM will ride out the warranty claims till the terms are up as the number of bikes sold vs the complaints will not justify financially to recall the airbox for every bike sold, the costs would be astronomical.

Once you out of warranty then :fyyff

I am sure KTM will fix this issue but it will not be made official and sure someone will post that maybe the 2015 has a different airbox, this is what I see happening.

So yes, you doing the right thing, fit the Uni as KTM's rigorous testing was obviously was not as "rigorous" as their marketing claims and we all know, KTM can market...wonder how their China build bikes will fair in future as I work in Asia in the OEM trade and well.....:lol3
  7. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    SO.....why my new filte gets here i plan to put the Airbox back together using Blue RV seal around the lid and tape....over kill probably but I don't want to screw with this again for a good while.

The question is.....the intake ducts, thinking of Not even putting them back on to increase the air flow. Just installing it back the way it sits in the photo with the 2 large openings left as is.

Any rational information on pro / con of doing this.

[​IMG]
  8. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    There may be some sort of ram air effect from the ducts when the bike is in motion.
  9. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:
    Not too mention the air over the engine is way hotter than intake air. Bad idea in my opinion. Cold dense ram air is a design feature
  10. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:

Those duct opening in the front of the bike are pretty dam small.....might have to just try this and see

Now that makes me really want to try it :)

Plus that thought process is counter to all the aftermarket stuff in R&D (Sporting Wood & Rottweiler) But something to think about
  11. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:

Let us know! :freaky
  12. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    :rofl Be sure to do dyno runs before and after. :D
  13. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving on a big trip in a couple weeks, and while I had the bike on the lift I thought I'd pull the tank off and do the duct tape drill. I put the Uni in at 300 miles, my airbox was clean when I did the swap, even though I had run about 80 miles of gravel. The odo sits at about 2000 miles now, several hundred miles of it was gravel, but never ran behind anyone to "eat their dust." My box and intake were spotless. Even wiping the stacks out with the white glove test was negative for dust / dirt. I had never installed the inlet socks and left them out today.

I went ahead and put it back together with the Uni gasket. I replaced the one stripped airbox lid screw (it was stripped from the factory) with a bigger self tapping screw and seemed to get pretty good engagement. I did not do any duct tape or RTV. What worries me about the setup is the inside edge of the sealing gasket. As it ages, and perhaps gets "brittle" for lack of a better term, I can imagine pieces of it coming off and .... General Aviation airplanes have crashed due to a similar scenario with aftermarket air filters.

I don't see the OEM airbox being viable for the life of the bike. Even though mine is working fine now. Maybe just a different type of gasket (not foam) - maybe a rubber material that won't decompose over time, I dunno?
    [​IMG]
  14. flycfi

flycfi n00b

Oddometer:
    My bike is a commuter bike and it has not been off road but i have been riding on plenty of grit as its winter.
    I hoped/assumed that the airbox was fine but curiosity has got the better of me, however it was clean as a whistle with no dust anywhere.
    I reassembled it and used 3m aluminium tape to seal.
    Bike has not yet been ridden in temperatures above 12 degrees so I wonder if colder climates have much to do with it.

Attached Files:

15. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I don't know aluminum tape. Is it flexible? Or would it crack under stress? If so, I would favor using something like gorilla tape or duct tape, just because they flex but stay in place. Because I think you are right, heat has an issue to do with the deforming of the boxes.
  16. Alarm

Alarm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My apologies if this question was already answered here already.

Is the Uni filter for 2013 and 2014 the same ? I have noticed on the Touratech web site that there is just one listed.

Thank you.
  17. flycfi

flycfi n00b

Oddometer:
    We use it on aircraft alot. Its 3 main advantages are maleable as in it forms neatly into difficlt shapes, resistance to wear and it is extremly sticky, it needs to be cut off. Is resistance to tearing is I think equal to duck tape. We have some stainless tape which is far tougher but it would not form nicely around the irregular shapes.
  18. XsilverGS

XsilverGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's the same. Prior to ordering my filter I emailed Uni and they confirmed there is just one filter kit and it fits both the 2013 and the 2014.

Ordering direct makes a big saving over buying from Touratech here in the UK.
  19. Alarm

Alarm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thank you very much :1drink
  20. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Ok, I did order the Uni Filter then cancelled the order.

I went with a K&N and plan to seal the airbox up. Also going to leave the air ducts off. I want it to flow air. I have used K&N on many other items so we will see how it all plays out. As soon as Rottweiller or Sporting Wood gets their high flow filters out I will change it and get rid of the airbox altogether but until then......

[​IMG]