tuning up and servicing my R100RS

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by smashomatic, Jun 5, 2011.

1. smashomatic

smashomatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So having owned my 1977 R100RS for a while now I figure its time to maintain it. I'm planning on changing all the oils, the oil filter, the fuel lines, the spark plugs, the plug wires, the clutch cable, tires and tubes. I'm also going to adjust the valves.

I don't have any manuals so I need some help with what types and the amounts of oils. I know the motor takes 3 quarts of 20/50 and the tranny takes 800cc of GL5 80W90. I'm going to use semi synthetic motor oil and was wondering if I could use synthetic or semi synthetic oil in the tranny. What type of oil does the rear drive take and how much of it? Can I use synthetic or semi synthetic in it?

I ordered a tube of Honda moly 60 to lube the splines when I have the wheels off. The bike has Avon Roadrunner AM20 and AM21 on it now, but the sidewall on the front is starting to crack. I am going to try a set of Bridgestone Battlax in sizes 100/90/19 and 110/90/18.

The bike is dual plugged with Denso W20EXR-U plugs, I googled them and came up with a bunch of pages in foreign languages. Are they a common plug? I always used NGK in all of my jap bikes. Do airheads like them at all? Where is the best place to get premade plug wires? Once I figure out what my coils are should I swap them out?

Anything else I'm not doing that I should be? The forks and brakes feel fine so I don't want to mess with them yet. A carb and petcock rebuild is planned for this winter.
  2. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geez, don't you think that the ol' girl deserves someone working on her that at least owns a service manual? Mistakes can be expensive. :huh
  3. Caddy82rats

Caddy82rats Long timer

Oddometer:
    there is many online manuals
    download one of them ?
  4. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:

Factory, complemented by Haynes or Clymer. All three is best. None are perfect.
    Read up on the oil filter. Google $2000 o-ring. That's a must.
  5. Jasper ST4

Jasper ST4 Guest

You've had the bike for a while and haven't done any basic maintenance?
  6. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    In short you do need to get yourself a manual or two. You really can't own and maintain a bike with 2nd hand info off the web. The basic riders manual has most of the info you are asking for. I think you can still buy them new from Motobins if not others. There are online manuals you can find. Search this site and forum of info on oils and tires so you don't start another one of THOSE threads. Do yourself a favor and do alittle homework so you have a good lay of the land before you dig into the bike or the Q and A.
  7. DoktorT

DoktorT BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer:
    http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/techindex.htm

That is SnoBums site. All info you need to know is in there if you will take the time to find it. With the factory manual and his depth of coverage you cannot claim ingnorance about anything, including the errors to be found in the FACTORY Manual. Haynes is a very good backup manual. It repeats the factory errors. The rate of errors in the Clymer will guarantee heartbreak for the Saturday mechanic. They repeat the factory errors and add a bunch of their own for good measure. Use that money for something else.

Not a lot of errors in the Factory Manual, just a few, but some are critical, like the head bolt torque. TOO MUCH and will start pulling studs after 3 or 5 applications, pulling the threads a little bit each time. See SnoBum for the good data.

I just shake my head and cringe every time I see the BMW dealer selling those Clymers. I am sure it guarantees some nice big receipts for both the parts and service dept.
  8. smashomatic

Oddometer:
    I looked and only found parts fiche online. Does anyone have a link to an online manual? I will be ordering a manual when I place my order for the filter kit. (Why are all of my local dealers closed on my only day off?) I did search the site for oil and tire info but was unable to find any rear drive oil info. That's why I asked. Reading the tire threads helped me decide on the BT45 tire. I joined the ABC a few weeks back and I am waiting on my membership info. The Airhead who hosted the local tech day this year is willing to look over my shoulder to make sure I don't screw up that much.
  9. smashomatic

Oddometer:
    I got lucky and bought a bike off someone who completely serviced it before he sold it.
  10. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Buy a manual. They're cheap and it's good bed side reading.
  11. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    What about all the mistakes in Snowbum's sight?
  12. Caddy82rats

Caddy82rats Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Caddy82rats

Caddy82rats Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's cheaper to buy it than to print it, I think. And It's easier to read, and you doesn't put any grease on your computer key board !!!
  14. DoktorT

Oddometer:
  15. DoktorT

Oddometer:
    Name ONE.
  16. DoktorT

Oddometer:
    You don't know if it was done right unless you verify. If you assume it was all correct, best of luck to you. If he did do a good and proper job, you have lots of time to learn what you need to know when it is time for the next maintenance inspection.
  17. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    ONE? :rofl

I name them as they are brought up. Otherwise you could make a career out of it.
  18. Jasper ST4

Jasper ST4 Guest

+100
  19. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    My experience with snobums site has been very good. I've yet to find a mistake, not that that means much. But frankly I haven't had anyone else point one out either. That's saying alittle more. I've met and talked to the bum more than once and my money is on the guy. He's the sort of person who isn't going to tell others how things are done unless he is sure that's the way it is. He's basically a scientist and goes about learning about airheads the same way. You couldn't find a more honest, helpful fellow. He's never negative or condescending just trys to relate what he's discovered. Good guy and a good site.
  20. jwegman

jwegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope that one of these days snowbum will allow someone with appropriate skills to organize/redesign his site.

Currently, my will to live decreases each time I navigate it.