White or Black 2012 990 ADV?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Maineboarder88, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Maineboarder88

Maineboarder88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which one would you go for?

Bear in mind the standard white adventure has a 2 year warranty, the black "R" is 12 months. Both are available to me for $13,999.

I'm leaning toward the standard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For more off road riding, the 'R' is is definitely better. But if you use the beast almost only on the road, the standard Adventure can be better with the ABS and softer suspension.
  3. liftedlimo

liftedlimo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the blue one, but that white one on the dealers floor sure had me tempted. The R model differences dont interest me.
  4. moosnutz

moosnutz meow meow

Oddometer:
    At first I didn't really care for the white 2012s but they have really started to grow on me. I like how the KTM really pops on the tank. The seat looks a little more "upscale" too. My vote is for white!

I recently bought a white 2011 & couldn't be happier.
  5. Tee2

Tee2 I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer:
    You don't say where you live, or will you ride two-up much.

For me where I live (south suburbs of Chicago) with all the stop and go traffic it would get old fast on a R, and I'm a fairly tall guy. Also 70% of my riding is two-up, and I know I would have dropped the bike a few time if I had a R. it would be just slow lowi sides because my wife likes to lean with the bike. She is getting better with more miles under her belt.

Now if I lived in a rural area or had rural close by, had off road trails and didn't ride two-up? No brainier...the R model.
  6. Maineboarder88

Maineboarder88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in the sticks with ATV trails, single track trails and paper company roads aplenty. But, I'm trading in my DR650 so my wife can go with me (slab). She misses our rides we used to have on the Harley. I think the longer warranty on the non R version is reason enough to skip the suspension upgrades etc. We took a test ride together on the white bike and it felt pretty good. I hardly knew she was there. I'm 6 foot and I felt a bit cramped in the cockpit though. That's why the R keeps popping in my head. I didn't ride it, only sat on it. Maybe I'll take it for a spin before I make a final choice.
  7. killurtv

killurtv free range moron

Oddometer:
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG. Go with the R:lol3, you will like the extra suspension.
  8. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    If you like the seat to peg distance on the R better, the stock seats are interchangeable and aren't terribly expensive. If you want even more seat to peg distance, you can find one of the custom seat builders that will make you a terribly expensive, but much taller seat. The R with a tall seat takes a long legged rider to reach the ground.
  9. canderson88

canderson88 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everybody knows white is the new black.
  10. Altego

Altego Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loving the R paint scheme, taller suspenders and no ABS...but you won't make a bad choice with either of them
  11. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket 60% of the time I'm right every time

Oddometer:
    I think the previous guy said it best. What are you going to do with it!? I am 5'8" and 195 lbs own the R and love it. I am a bit small for 2 up and the laws here now make it illegal to have the passenger put a foot down. Feet on the pegs at all times...wtf. Moving on, I had a BMW with the ABS and hated turning it off every time I hit gravel or trails. Now I don't worry! No ABS....problem solved. I love the extra suspension. For my size and weight and fully packed luggage with the extra safari tank, I've had it in the air and lands without bottoming out. Very plush, eats rocks up. May need a new front rim soon..haha.. I've been with other riders with the new Blue anniversary addition and White models and all have bottomed out and hit the skid plate on the same ride. Having it taller also make you a better rider because you don't have the choice to paddle your way up stuff with your legs...... not sure how true last statement is, but, that's my story and I'm stickn with it.
    My negative for me; traffic gets old quick having to tip toe on one side even with the lower seat ($160 bucks cheap). It would be nice to have longer than alligator legs or the regular 990. Oh ya, my warranty is done. All on me now..... Yet if your out in the bush somewhere and your bike craps out, warranty doesn't do anything for you. Your own tools and know how gets you out. I know a few spots hundred of km's away from a service shop or even a paved road, and I asked the store how I would get the bike out. Like an over heating issue. They said, park it and get a tow truck. I said, what if that's not an option it a long way from a road a tow truck could even reach me. They said if you run it and do further damage warranty would be void.
    So I guess helicopter is the only way.

Either way your decision is the right one!
  12. Whip

Whip Onward through the fog

Oddometer:
    Black R because the big black tanks look better on it than the white tanks do on the white bike.

my $.02
  13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Notice the difference between the top of the rear tire and the exhaust can?

Is this year's R 245mm or 265mm?
  14. Todd34

Todd34 Toubab

Oddometer:
    I went with the R in 2010 and I'm happy I did. I use it to commute but like to hit the trails and wanted the extra suspension. I'm only 5'11" so I'm on tiptoes at stoplights but it's worth it. The wife doesn't seem to mind being on back but honestly I doubt she would really notice the difference. Either way, you'll have a great big smile on your face and you'll wonder why back tires don't last very long!:D

[​IMG]
  15. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Misrepresented

Oddometer:
    Same price?? Get the R!
    Once the deal has been made, and you'd rather a lower suspension, I will trade you my standard (2006) for your "R", and give you a few hundie to boot. . . .:deal

I think they can be swapped. . . anyone?
  16. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black with orange guards.