Olympic snow levels April 2

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Hi-Vis Dennis, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Hi-Vis Dennis

Hi-Vis Dennis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sunny weather forced me outside to ride the area south of Blyn, WA - snow or no snow!

[​IMG]

The yellow and purple highlights where I went. The snow levels that covered the road varied from 1600' to 1900'. The Vertical profile below shows the maximum elevations I could go to before deciding to turn back. I should have turned back sooner on one of those.

[​IMG]

Riding in the snow on a sunny day is much fun and here are some ride shots.

On many of the roads, the snow has melted out of the wheel tracks, so you have good traction.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This road is at about 1600' and the snow is about the same as it was in late January.
    [​IMG]

The above 3 photos are in the same place.

More road snow-

[​IMG]

Tire track from same spot-

[​IMG]

People that ride in the snow, crash in the snow. The front wheel skidded sideways down to gravel, stopped and I went over the side. Went from easy riding on fresh snow to instant crash. I think when the snow is this deep, I will turn around and go back.

[​IMG]

The view from the top of the powerline hill-

[​IMG]

Looking forward to snow free riding.
  2. Gootch

Gootch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good photos -- looks like it was a fun ride. How'd that fancy 2008 KLR plastic bodywork stand up to the drop?

I agree -- by April it is time to ride without so much snow.
  3. Hi-Vis Dennis

Hi-Vis Dennis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the plastic cracks when you crash. So I just tape it together and keep going. This is the 3rd crash on this panel (always try to crash on the same side) so I'm fiberglassing the peices together this afternoon. Hope it will be good for 3 more crashes. As I find out my limits on this bike, the crashes should go down, he said.

Had 2 slow speed fall overs last year with no cracking. Once it cracks, it is weaker, so the damage is worse each crash.
  4. BillC

BillC Banned

Oddometer:
    Nice job Dennis, thanks for the update. We'll be out there again soon. I'd like to do the power lines.

:evil
  5. Coaster

Coaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good, lets try and ride again soon.