Best frame rattlecan paint and primer

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by fire1998, Sep 11, 2012.

1. fire1998

fire1998 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Restoring a 1983 YZ 250 for vintage racing next year. Bike is down to frame and ready to go to sandblaster. Which rattlecan paint and primer would you guys recommend? Thought about powdercoating but need to save cash for suspension revalve and gold valves.
    Thanks
  2. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I have really come to like Duplicolor engine paint. It's good to 500 degrees, and is available in a lot of colors. I used it on the frame and tins of my RD350. The tank (chevy orange) came out so well, I just couldn't believe it. I rubbed it out when I was done, and you would totally think it was a real paint job. It's fairly gas resistant,and fairly tough. Its the best rattlecn paint I've ever used. I've never used it, but I've heard that Harley-Davidson's spray paints are very good. As for primer, I don't remember what I used, don't think it was anything special.
  3. FloridaSteve

FloridaSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hands down PJ1 Fast Black Epoxy paint in gloss black. VERY gas resistant. Eve survived some brake fluid splatter with a quick cleanup. I've done a few frames when $$ was tight with it over the years and after a month of curing it's almost as hard as powdercoat. Follow the directions to a tee and avoid using it during high humidity as it can fog.

[​IMG]
  4. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Damn learn something new everyday... I have had this happen in the past and never knew why.
  5. lrutt

lrutt SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer:
    This is the case with a lot of paints.

BTW. I use Rustoleum. cheaper, sold everywhere, and very durable. I've done dozens of frames with this stuff from my old Triumphs to newer bikes. I like it because it's not overly glossy as most frames weren't a really high gloss finish anyhow.
  6. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:

X2 that's the stuff I have heard about :wink:
  7. fire1998

fire1998 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Check out POR-15 chassis coat.

I don't have a garage or anything -
    needed to paint a frame in the bedroom.
    Shit is brush on. Worked great too.
  9. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    We do our KTMs with rustoleum rattlecan bedliner. Great textured finish and easy to touch up too. Add a semi gloss black top coat for a streetbike frame. Looks great.
  10. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Great topic. I have been using rattle cans lately for the first time in 20 years. IMO Krylon and Rustoleom are now absolute junk. Other brands too have gone WAY down hill if I remember right. I have parts on my bike that I rattle canned 25 years ago. A lot of the before mentioned crap and more won't last a week. I am going to try PJ1 and HD. 25 years ago John Deere was good stuff. 35 years ago Hodaka rattle can paint was the best I have ever used.
  11. e28rusty

e28rusty Fool

Oddometer:
    +1 on the rusto bedliner. I use this crap on everything, it goes on easy and holds up to gas and oil pretty well.