2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    One possibility could be that BMW had a long term contract with Loncin for the Husky motors. Rather than cancel this contract and face litigation ... or a big payout, they simply "assigned" the contract to the new owner ... Pierer AG. This is pretty common in business, means a smoother transition with no further litigation.

Once that Loncin contract expires it will be up to Pierer AG/Bajaj/KTM, et al to decide what to do. Do they bring the motor in house to India? Use same design ... or start over? Bring it to KTM in Austria? ... or continue to manufacture in Loncin and re-new the contract. It's possible BMW's deal may have caveats preventing this last bit ... who knows? If I were Pierer, continuing production at Loncin would be my first choice.
  2. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We can discuss all the maybes in the world. Pierre, KTM and Bajaj all stated the same business plan. Spread design, production, parts, and service cost over a range of marques and models. One of those engines does not look like the others.:rofl
  3. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Could there be a TR690 in the future? If it could get 50 MPG that would be a nice upgrade. Seems like people always want a little more power.
  4. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don'tthey always. :lol3

Regards, Paul
  5. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the sounds of the new Duke 690, I would think that is the motor they would use if the TR series continue.
    Not only more power, but less weight and still 55 mpgs.

http://www.enduro360.com/2013/02/20/products-tested/2013-ktm-690-duke-review/
  6. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    The 690 motor would be a great choice ... if KTM are willing to cross pollinate equipment over different marques.

But somebody still has to cover parts and warranty for the Loncin motor in current Terra/Strada bikes. I don't who holds that responsibility ... I'm guessing all liability has been transferred over to Pierer AG/KTM/Bajaj.

Using the 690 would mean Pier AG would not have to start from scratch on a 650 replacement for the Loncin/BMW/Husky motor. But my guess is the 690 motor costs 3 times what the Loncin motor currently costs. Enter the Bean Counters. :lol3
  7. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Reading all the Terra threads seems to show that the #1 selling point about this bike is its initial price point.
    #2 is the motor, its smoothness, mpg and wide ratio box.

I can't see how a current 690 motor helps in relation to any of those things. :ear

Maybe the new motor will be a lot better in the Enduro as well?
  9. jigmoore

jigmoore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    picking mine up tomorrow.

is everyone pretty much paying MSRP for them? ($6999)
  10. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:

I would not touch the 690 I am happy with the sooped BMW engine in my Terra. It might be down on power than the 690 but is is so sweet. I can do distance on it.
  11. Adv Grifter

Oddometer:
    http://www.cycleworld.com/
    This Comparo is not yet posted on line, probably in a few weeks.

The Terra got decidedly mixed reviews in this latest Comparo. CW took a weird mix of bikes and screwed up a number of things (IMHO), but surprisingly even Jimmy Lewis was critical of the Terra. They used this weird survivalist post apocalyptic theme to underscore the whole test.
    Nonesense, IMHO.

Bikes tested and how they finished:
    1. KLR650
    2. KTM 990 Baja
    3. Yamaha R1200 Tenere
    4. TR650 Terra
    5. T800XC Tiger

A few Key quotes:

Jesse Ziegler (Dirt Rider staff writer)
    " ... The KLR is really easy to ride off road ... despite rubber covered footpegs, it's really a dirt bike chassis and feels like one".

Editor:
    "Not far behind, but much less confidence inspiring, was the Husky."
    (refers to ON ROAD behavior)

Jimmy Lewis:
    " ... The TR's handling is a bit awkward. The bike has lot of weight on the front wheel and feels unstable at high speed." (Lewis's comment refers to ON ROAD handling, not off road)

Further comments deride the Terra for lack of weather protection and highway capability at speed and short range. They had cold weather and sounds like they'd rather be on Gold Wings than dual sports. The KLR rated high everywhere, a huge surprise to me, having owned one. It out did the Terra every where but in deep sand and more technical rocky tracks.

But remember the theme of this "Comparo" was a sort of ridiculous post apocalyptic theme, with a survivalist tone, IMHO, not a valid way to pick a good dual sport ... but hey, I guess that gets the ratings. :lol3

The Terra rated next to last. Here are some final comments:
    Just a few more modifications would have vaulted the TR650 into the mix.
    "It's a dirtbike wth blinkers and luggage - sort of," said Ziegler. "It was like cheating in the sand and rocks. It's maneurverable and fun and makes a really good dual sport bike, but in this comparison, its on-road shortcomings stood out too much. It's not a survival bike. "

My personal view is that staff need to grow a pair! :lol3

In terms the getting through the Mojave (where I've ridden since age 14)
    I'd pick the Terra every time. As a RTW bike? Dunno. Loncin motor is still unproven.

The KTM rated high everywhere yet came in 2nd to the KLR because it's high tech nature did not jive with the theme of the comparo. Stupid, IMO.

Anyway, there it is. It is, IMO, a poorly done article of little value. Just thought you guys would need something to reinforce that the press does not always get it right. :D
  12. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh well, I guess it's time to sell my Terra; and I was so happy with it!
  13. jigmoore

jigmoore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol
  14. hambone650rider

hambone650rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:1drink
    That's funny as hell I spit diet coke all over myself.
  15. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    I love my Pig ('02 KLR650), but this contrived little comparo made me

:poser

Soon enough, Safariland or IMS will make a big tank for it, and Brittania Composites will make an aftermarket fairing. Voila! Perfect ADV bike :D
  16. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've owned every bike with the exception of the KTM on that list. I currently own the Husky and a KLR, The Husky beats the crap out of the KLR off road and leaves it in the dust on road. As posted above a bigger tank and a BC fairing and it just might be perfect for this old fart, There is something to be said for the Gen 1 KLR's, cheap to own, operate, and maintain.
  17. klxmack

klxmack king of the box

Oddometer:

Ok, the question to ask is how many Kawasaki ads did you see in this issue?
    Bet you there was no husky ads either.

It's bad business to critique your paying clients.
  18. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dropped Cycle World, a couple years ago. There has to be a reason their editors/writers don't stick around.
  19. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    What is this "Cycle World" of which you speak?

My racks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Disclaimer: I bought the loops. Wolfmans ordered today.
  20. E365

E365 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice! Where can you buy loops like that?