Retirement, It's a Good Thing

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Jan 26, 2015.

1. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    It is -35 in Fairbanks according to the News Miner website. I still get alerts through the UAF campus alert notification system. Since this morning a significant portion of the campus has been without heat, including several apartment buildings that I used to be responsible for. I can only remember with a sense of nausea what it was like to try to deal with situations such as this. Now my biggest problem is deciding which bike to ride; it has been in the 50s-60s here in MT the last few days.
  2. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Rub it in, will ya?

My retirement application went out last Thursday and I gave notice on Friday. May 1 - it's official. That ought to solve the state's budget woes.
  3. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    But the bigger question is... did she bring home a puppy or 5???:lol3
  4. ADVBMR

Oddometer:
    I said woes, not hoes.
  5. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Are you staying put or migrating?
  6. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Wow Kevin, pretty warm up there! High yesterday was 65 with 25 knot NW winds and 6-9 footers in the Gulf down here.
  7. Kul Mom

Kul Mom aka sKul Marm Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I have spent the morning reviewing faculty promotion and tenure files, all I can say to you retirees is :fitz
  8. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    It is critical that you keep plugging away Ellen. Someone has to keep the PERS accounts full.
  9. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    SOMEONE HAS TO KEEP OUR SS CHECKS COMING:deal
  10. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

What Griz said! :evil:evil:evil

[​IMG]
  11. ADVBMR

Oddometer:
    I have my retirement fully planned. Down the Alcan May 2, back to AK June 11, D2D. That's it.
  12. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    If you get to MT, then stop in.
  13. ADVBMR

Oddometer:
    You betcha', Billings is a strong maybe, too. Just haven't figured out whether I'm going north on one bike or south on another.
  14. f650624

f650624 Snowbird

Oddometer:
    Ah yes: Saturday-Saturday-Saturday-Saturday-Saturday-Saturday-Sunday-REPEAT!:1drink
  15. Airmail

Airmail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thought of this is what keeps me going. :clap:clap:D
  16. AK Bob

AK Bob AKAM

Oddometer:
    But..

It keeps the Riff Raff out.

Retirement, what can I say... Every day is Saturday except Sunday. That works for me, but some type A over achievers just can't handle it. We had a old Chief Operator that just didn't want to retire, until a Forman showed her the numbers. When your working for .26 an hour, more than your defined benefit retirement.. It is time to go play with the grand kids.
  17. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    Been retired for around 10 years, more or less. But as far as friends and neighbors are concerned, it's less. Far less.

When I was working full time, I made service calls. Now that I'm retired, they have become "friendly visits". New Years Day I made three such "friendly visits" to help neighbors with plumbing or building problems.

Now I know why so many retirees turn into snowbirds. It ain't necessarily to get away from the cold and into the sun. It's so they can tell the people on the other end of the phone line "Gee, I'd love to help, but I'm in Arizona right now."

Hmmm. Wonder how much it would cost to get an Arizona phone number? :hmmmmm
  18. Airmail

Airmail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't even tell people I'm a mechanic anymore. Even after I retire I could work 24/7.
  19. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Aw, quite your whining Jack. It could be worse, you could be a retired proctologist.
  20. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only way I could retire is if I could stop being tired in the first place. :cry

Actually, I spent my years from 18 to 46 mostly retired since I was traveling, sailing my boat, working many different jobs in many fields for money to live on.

Then at 46 I realized I might actually live longer than I could work the physically demanding jobs I usually took on. :eek1

With no retirement fund and not much paid into social security from the multitude of jobs over the years (many were cash jobs) I had to make a choice. :huh

I could learn how to flip burgers at McD's or practice saying "Welcome to Wally's", OR, I could go back to school and learn a trade I could possibly do until I died.

(The best option was to marry a rich girl, but I failed. I was able to marry an excellent girl but she was as poor as me)

I went to UAA and learned the basics of computer drafting.

I was very fortunate (at 48) to get hired by an excellent engineering company to do computer drafting (AutoCAD) and I have been there for more than 13 years.

I am slowly building a retirement fund but it will most likely benefit my wife after I am gone.

So, those of you who are retired and those who can look forward to it, I hope you appreciate it. :clap

I never thought I would live to see 60.... unbelievable.... :gerg