Non protective Mesh jackets or pants?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by BMWf800gs, Mar 13, 2010.

1. BMWf800gs

BMWf800gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What Companies or models are poor quality and design? What should we not buy?
    What should we?
    I would like to wear my Forcefield Extreme Adventure Harness underneath the mesh jacket if I can stand the heat. I will be riding in 90F plus heat and humidity.

I have a Revit Cayenne Pro that is falling apart after only a couple rides. (I know it is not mesh.) So I do not recommend them or it. I have spent months off and on with the dealer/credit card Co. and now Revit with lack of answer to get the faulty product taken care of.
    Thank you. Fun and safe riding to you.
  2. MCRIDER007

MCRIDER007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Except for Cycleport's kelver mesh suits, all mesh jackets offer limited protection in contrast to their non-mesh counterpoints. They do offer much greater air flow and can actually be cooler than riding in a tee shirt because they block the sun's rays.

If you plan to wear a Forcefield Harness under the mesh jacket then you probably do not need to be that concerned about the protection the mesh jacket provides, just the fit and airflow. I think that Firstgear's Meshtex jacket is a high quality all mesh jacket, with a tight mesh weave, that is very comfortable and gives more abrasion protection than you would expect but probably would be a throw away after a long slide.
  3. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Yep, I think so too. I have an <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Olympia</st1:place></st1:City> “Bushwhacker” that is nice to ride in but I don’t think it would really protect me in a fall. Other then that it has held up well over a couple of seasons.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Crashmaster survived a bad 60+ mph tumble on asphalt in his Cycleport’s mesh without a scratch<o:p></o:p>
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501881&highlight=Crashmaster
    <o:p></o:p>
    His jacket and bike needed to be repaired but he was fine. Sometimes you do get what you pay for:deal
  4. wcohl

wcohl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All mesh is a compromise. I can't help you on what not to get, but Joe Rocket is an example of lower priced gear. Their mesh jacket and pants are the Phoenix series. My son did a tuck and roll at 65 MPH with his Phoenix gear and only recieved a few brush burns. The pants didn't survive, but the jacket held up well.

I wear Tour Master mesh gear when it's real hot. It seems a little sturdier then Joe Rocket and has nice CE approved armor.
  5. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went down at about 65 on asphalt and slid/tumbled to a stop on the road while wearing Joe Rocket mesh pants & Jacket. The pants were torn and the area over the knee pad melted. No injuries to my legs. One of the jacket sleeves rode up and I scraped up my elbow/arm, The jacket didn't have a scratch on it. With a better fit or retention system, I I would have had no injuries. I'm tall and skinny and got too large of a jacket so that it would be long enough - not a good idea. I got new Fieldshear jacket & pants. Not quite as sturdy but it fits me much better and has a better retention system.

I think that if the gear fits good and has a good retention system(adjustable straps) and good armor, it will most likely protect you even if it's mesh.