New Guy, Aprilia Scarabeo 200

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by kiznile, Nov 27, 2012.

1. kiznile

kiznile Scooter Commuter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey Folks, I've been lurking for a while, thought I would introduce myself.

I've been working/driving/tuning on BMW cars for a long time. Built some crazy machines. With gas prices where they are and my taste getting more..."aged" I found myself drawn to the idea of a scooter for daily use since my commute is 40 miles round trip. After doing much internet research, I cruised by my local Aprilia dealer and test drive a SportCity 250 and the Scarabeo 200. I had read all the internet whining about the fact that the Scarabeo 200 was assembled in China. None of that mattered I was immediately drawn to the 'Beo for it's stability at speed on the 16" wheels and its factory windscreen. Clean lines, and just overall simplicity/functionality. It made for a very comfortable ride and plenty of power, and at the time $1800 cheaper that the SportCity 250. The only thing that i liked about the SportCity more was that it's EFI.

Well here we are 5 months and 4200 miles later. Couldnt leave it alone. DDM 4500k 35w HID's, PIAA 1100x auxiliary lights, Fender Delete, and as of tonight when i get home, 11g Dr Pulley Sliders. Who know's what's next. I cant leave anything stock. Lol.

The HID's really arent that blue in person. I had just installed them and just turned them on in this pic. Now that they have "burned in" they are a true 4500k white.

Anywho, looking forward to chatting with you all more going forward.
  2. wannabe1

wannabe1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking scoot and welcome to the scooter world. The China, Thailand, etc. assembled machines are only going to get more popular in my opinion. The new Honda CRF250L dualsport and PCX150 scooter don't seem to be doing too bad either. Enjoy the scoot.
  3. kiznile

kiznile Scooter Commuter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! To my understanding the new BMW scoots have a China built motor as well.
  4. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome. As mentioned on AF1, I spend most of my time wondering here. Elk Grove Powersports was on my short list of out of town dealers. I didn't make it up there, but was in contact a few times by phone.

I really like the PIAA's.

GH
  5. kiznile

kiznile Scooter Commuter

Oddometer:
    Fortunately for me, they WERE the local dealer. :D Convenient to say the least.

Maybe we oughta get a NorCal meetup going. Haha.
  6. emmettken

emmettken Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coooool! :clap
  7. kiznile

kiznile Scooter Commuter

Oddometer:
    That was it. My apologies. I was "close" haha :)
  8. kiznile

kiznile Scooter Commuter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Woo, there here! Came last night. Going in tonight or tomorrow. :D

21x17 11G, stock rollers are 12G so i should still gain some MPG/top speed, and improve acceleration at the same point. I'll report back once they are in.
  9. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    Gday!
    I like those things, I remember looking at a Beo200 a while back, I was surprised at how much space they had once seated.
    What in the world would the scooter world do without "litttle tweaks"! :lol3
    Enjoy.
  10. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice looking scoot!

About that windscreen, is that built into the plastic body? Are there larger aftermarket screens?

If you get a chance, maybe you could get a couple of close up shots.
  11. kiznile

kiznile Scooter Commuter

Oddometer:
    No problem,

if i remove a small plate behind the windscreen, it is mounted with 3 bolts. I've taken off the windscreen a few times for various wiring gigs, IE: HID install. :)

I've seen several other windscreens mounted on these. Sometimes you have to get creative though. :D

I'll grab you some shots tonight if i remember.
  12. Chindog

Chindog Old Guy

Oddometer:
    Hi Kyle,
    I signed up here when you posted the link to this forum on another one.

Because of your post on the mod to add the driving lights, I'm going to put a pair on my Beo this weekend. Since I didn't have $400 for a set of PIAAs like yours, I got a cheap pair for $20 at WalMart. That set didn't come with the nice on/off switch like yours, so I went to Radio Shack and bought a project box and a rocker switch that would fit the box. I'll post installation photos once I get it done.

And now, you've got me wanting to put in a set of those Dr. Pulley's. It's time for me to replace the rollers anyway, so why not live on the edge!!!

Mike
  13. kiznile

kiznile Scooter Commuter

Oddometer:
    Hahaha that's too funny.

No huge difference with the 11g sliders in. Its not going to suddenly make it a rocketship. Took me about 30 minutes to install.

It has noticeably higher rpms while accelerating, and just a smoother overall demeanor. The only huge change is the roll on throttle. If I'm cruising at 35 and open it wide open, it downshifts soooo fast. I can't vouch for the lower revs since I don't have a tach and I can't hear the engine at 65 mph.

It sounds like we have similar commute so the 11g sliders should be fine for you. (20 miles of back highway 50-65 mph)

If the rain holds off tomorrow I'm going to ride it and give a better report.

Hey post some pics of your windscreen for samthg above^
  14. kiznile

kiznile Scooter Commuter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

it's the vertically mounted bolt in the middle, and the two horizontally mounted bolts on either end (same type of bolt)
  15. Chindog

Chindog Old Guy

Oddometer:
    Here's some shots of my Givi bolt on windscreen. I like the larger size. I can now ride without a face shield or goggles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. hotpeppa12

hotpeppa12 n00b

Oddometer:
    where did you get it and how much was it? your beo looks great!
  17. ice1

ice1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife bought a 200 Scarabeo about 3 years ago. It has been a very good scoot and fun to ride.
    She lets me ride it. I weigh 195 and it pulls me around good.

I liked her scooter so much, I bought a Kymco GTI300 for myself and sold my motorcycle.

Ride safe my friend.

ps: The 200 Scarabeo is assembled in China, not made there. Big difference.
    Parts come from Italy.
  18. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats a beaut and the fastest color! The 200 is an easy one to maintain.

Scoot on, and enjoy....you have some fantastic scootering roads up your way.
  19. bkrdoug80

bkrdoug80 Old Dude

Oddometer:
    CONGRATS!!!!!!----IMHO one of the top scoots on the market.====i have owned 34 maxi-scoots and 2 scabby 200s-------they are smooth,quiet and will do an indicated 83mph stock---my neighbor rode mine once and called it the magic carpet!!---------------best bkrdoug (joined 2008)
  20. guzziknight

guzziknight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got mine a little over a month ago and have put almost 1000 miles on it already! I love this bike. I was going back and forth between this and the SportCity 250, but the looks and price difference brought me to the Beo 200. No regrets at all.

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]