2013 + Honda CB1100

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Aug 24, 2012.

1. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    For 10k couldn't you get a nice CBX and have something that really is a classic and will hold it's value if not appreciate? :ear
  2. ssregal39

ssregal39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    would a person ride a rare vintage bike daily? especially one in good shape.
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a 1979 CBX owner I feel I'm in a good position to comment.

You certainly could do what you're saying and you're right that it will hold its value and probably appreciate if you take care of it. But owning a 33-yo vehicle is nothing like owning a new vehicle. The older bike requires a lot more maintenance, is much less reliable, and has generally antiquated brakes, suspension, tire specs, etc. Six carbs vs. modern electronic fuel-injection? I could go on and on but you get the drift.

And if you have a really nice CBX, you probably don't want to start putting huge miles on it, both because of the repair costs and because it hurts its value. And getting full value insurance for a nice classic is pretty tricky. If you crash it, good luck getting your local Honda dealer to fix it. Actually, finding anyone who will work on these bikes is a bit of a trick in itself. You really need to be your own mechanic.

It's like comparing a 1967 Camaro to a 2013. The old one is cool as hell, but it just doesn't serve the same mission.

- Mark
  4. opmike

opmike Choosing to be here.

Oddometer:
    Yes, yes, there's always going to be a used bike that's a better deal than a new one.
  5. rider33

rider33 Traveler

Oddometer:

Bingo, that would be the retro thing in a nutshell. Even if you own classic bikes you don't necessarily want to deal with them on a daily basis nor run the risk of diminishing their value thru constant use. Jumping off a T140 and on to a Street Triple doesn't feel quite right but a T100 might. 'Classic lines with modern reliabilty, parts, and support. It worked for the Hinkley Bonnies, more than likely it will work for the new CB1100 as well.
  6. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    I don't believe a CBX is unreliable as a daily rider. Plenty of them out there being ridden all the time. Heck they built a touring bike on that platform. Why worry about depreciation on the classic when you don't on the new bike? Money for money, the classic bike will still be worth more at the end of X years than the CB1100. It's not like you will beat the crap out of either one. Hell, update some components just keep the originals.
  7. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Old bike maintenance, especially one with six carbs, is a PITA! I'd much rather have the new CB for the same reasons I bought a '06 Scrambler over a '67 Triumph and a 620i Monster over a overpriced, old Desmo. Better brakes, handling, electronics that work, reliability, fuel injection, no leaks, no dry rotting rubber parts, dry rotted/fading plastic, replacement parts availiblity, aftermarket support...I could go on.
    Who cares about the money and depreciation? If I was that worried about it, I would have put it into gold or Apple stock and not something fun with two wheels.
  8. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    No one said that it was unreliable. But it will require more TLC and attention to things. A LOT more. Especially with the CBX which has a fairly dodgy electrical system and six carbs.

- Mark
  9. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I'm always interested in hearing or reading about the next somewhat neutral-riding bike coming to America, but consistantly the damn fuel tanks are too small. For some reason they gear the fuel tanks to the stunter crowd it seems. Screw that. Give them a fuel tank option for real riders and I guarantee you'll sell more.

Two different fuel tanks to choose from wouldn't be that difficult to do, and it would really help sell some bikes to larger markets. Kawasaki is becoming infamous for making smaller fuel tanks as well.... it's a trend that needs to stop if they want business.
  10. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    Well ok, dropping the motor forward to work on the carbs would suck...
    But it doesn't need to come all the way out! And my Wee wasn't all that much easier for carb work :deal
  11. Starkmojo

Starkmojo Chief Totberry

Oddometer:
    Where the valley rises up to the shifting mountain
    I used a 74 cb 750 as a daily driver for years and it worked fine, once I replaced the points with cdi ( points and condensers being $40 a set ) changed the oil every 1500 miles and had all 4 carbs rebuilt, replaced the tires, shocks, fork seals, swing arm bushings, rebuilt the front caliper and cleaned every ground on the bike. All in all I was about 3 grand into the bike to get it to a point it would run and charge for daily use. Now I loved that bike but I believe that I had about 5 amps to spare on the charging (so no glove Warmers or GPS plugs for me) and when it was my primary transport I had to do a full tune up pretty much once a month (oil, valves, clean plugs, grease bushings) which now that I have a family would be harder to find time for.

Is it worth 7 grand for 400 extra ccs and no carbs? Probably if you throw in the improved fuel efficiency and longer maintenance intervals.

I can't wait for you guys to buy one and get tired of it in a few years so I can take it offa your hands... :deal
  12. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate to be blunt, but you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Wees are fuel-injected for chrissakes.

- Mark
  13. Gas Hog

Gas Hog Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer:
    Opps :rofl
    Gary
  14. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:

:roflwell ya gotta admit, that would tend to complicate any carb work...
  15. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

As seen in Australia, yesterday, on a dealer's floor...
  16. Starkmojo

Starkmojo Chief Totberry

Oddometer:
    Where the valley rises up to the shifting mountain
    You saw a pic of a ?
  17. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

I'm waiting to see some real world mpg figures. As long as it has a range of around 200 miles I will be fine with the tiny tank.
  18. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    The picture was posted on another forum, by an Australian rider, who was also interested in the CB, and posted a pic of what he saw. Already being sold in Australia.
  19. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have any pictures to share of the CB1100 with saddlebags or a windsheild? I'm so excited to see this bike in 48 hours at the Washington DC show! I have no logical explaination as to why this thing has got me so hyped...
    I've read that taller riders felt cramped on this bike. That's perfect, I'm 5'7"!
  20. DesmoTull

DesmoTull Recovering Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Try reading the thread....

There's some Hepco & Becker bags I posted on pg. 28.