What bike do you want today?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by fivehitsweak, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

The term "superior machine" is very subjective, dontcha think?

Lots of things are "superior" in objective measures like performance, power, etc... But those things rarely if ever factor into the equation of what I enjoy most... Sometimes it's just the lust that a machine incites that makes it "superior" in the mind of those that matter most; the owner, or the admirer... Sometimes it can be a certain feel, or a certain look, or just the exclusivity of a particular machine.... Lots of bikes are "better" than either the Triumph, or the Norton, or my Sportster for that matter... But obviously, for ME, and at this point in time, the Sportster is "superior" to most others, or else I would have bought one of those others...

Besides, the $7000 is buying more than just the name anyway... You're also getting vastly superior suspension components with the Ohlins forks and shocks in place of the dimestore damper rod forks and crap shocks on some of the Triumphs. And then there's the radial mount Brembo brakes... Priced any of those separately? The dry weight figures don't sound too bad either...and the chassis geometry... There's much more to a bike than just how much power the engine makes...

Just a different perspective... Not that I would buy one... but if money were no object... and that's all relative too... If you can afford what makes you smile then more power to ya! :clap

:1drink
  2. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You ladies play nice, now...

:mrskbasa
  3. Crocker

Crocker Just passing through Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moto Guzzi Norge.

Had a chance to pick one up an 08 last summer, passed and decided to keep my r1150gs.

I've been regretting it ever since that test ride. Nothing wrong with the beemer, it just rides a little too refined for my tastes, hitting the slab I feel like I'm in a passenger jet.
  4. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
  5. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    That SV classic was a cool bike. Only sold in Urp.
  6. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I think it was available in US in 2003.

I got 2 good ones in the local ads, both worth more or less as much as
    my scooter..

Do you feel my pain?
  7. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny SV story: The naked version was sold here for at least a year before the S version. We'd ridden up to the campground at Cruso, NC. The SV had just been released, and there sat one, outside either a tent or one of the cabins. I'm admiring it, and a guy walks over that I know. He says, "that's my buddy's bike. The keys are in it, go ahead and take it for a ride!"

Well NFW that's going to happen. But shortly the owner shows up, and says "Sure! Go ahead!" I don't remember now if he was "lubricated." But, undeterred, and invited twice, off I went!

Damn! That was an absolute hoot.
  8. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes they sold the naked SV1000 only in '03 in the US, here is mine. Handles better with the GSXR fork.

[​IMG]
  9. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pic, Pete. :thumb
  10. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm building a naked SV1000 (A.K.A. SV1000 Classic) off a wrecked 2006 SV1000S. There are so many differences between both bikes that I don't understand what the guys at Suzuki were thinking. It has been a ridiculously expensive project because of that, didn't realize how bad it would be until I was deep into it.
  11. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure why, haven't even had a beer yet, but kind of cool bike. Suzuki RV 90, like a street legal, 2 stroke Big Wheel! :evil

[​IMG]
  12. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
    Luckily, I still want the bike I have (just got in Jan.)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I'm in FZ6 mood today.

[​IMG]
  14. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stop riding it to bars. :deal

[​IMG]
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    In over 35 years of riding, I can't say that I've ever ridden a bike to a bar... By "bar hopper" I mean a bike that is meant to be ridden short distances (to the bar) and then look "cool" sitting in the (bar) parking lot...

as opposed to a bike that is designed for function... to be ridden... and have decent suspension, ride quality, lean angles, brakes, etc. A REAL motorcycle in other words and not just another fashion accessory...

Different strokes and all that, but spend any time on the H-D forums and you'll find a lot of guys that build bikes with looks and "cool factor" as primary concerns and without regard for how well the machine works as a system.

The 48 (as well as the other current H-D Sporty offerings) are designed to cater to that group of potential buyers. Too many concessions to obtain "the look", IMO.

Not that it can't be addressed... I'm in the process of "correcting" some of the shortcomings of my bike now. It isn't too difficult to make the bike more into what I want it to be. Just took a bit of research to get it all figured out, but half the fun of motorcycles for me is the process of researching, learning and modifying, so it's all good! :D

16. Tip Over

Tip Over Whoopsie!

Oddometer:
    There are no bar-hop bikes, only bar-hop riders.
  17. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

Well, that could be said of any subset of bikes, if you want to get technical...

You can tour on a sport bike. You can do a trackday on a Goldwing, or a cruiser... There are lots of debates about what constitutes a "Cafe Racer"...

But, there are bikes that are designed, and perform best with specific functions in mind. The current Sporties (my bike included) has dismal suspension, poor brakes, forward controls, and less than sufficient lean angles (brought about by the "low and long" look crowd) It was designed with style and looks at the forefront of the drawing board. Call it what you want but it was designed with certain concessions to function in order to achieve the "look" that is popular with a large segment of potential buyers. There are guys that will take a new 48 and then lower it further, add apes, and do all sorts of things in the name of "looking cool", and care not how it affects function. Comments like, "no it doesn't work well, but it sure LOOKS COOL!" abound when discussing certain mods.

The term "bar hopper" is just a common term used to describe a bike built with that design philosophy.

I've already improved my brakes dramatically by installing a four pot caliper from the XR1200. I've already improved MY comfort and control by replacing the stock forward controls with mids. I already have longer shocks in hand, and all the parts I need to do the fork conversion are on order as of yesterday.

When done, I hope to have what I consider to be a much more functional motorcycle, with decent brakes, longer travel, more compliant suspension with vastly improved ride quality, and improved lean angles for riding in places other than straight lines. To me, that is taking a "bar hopper" and turning it into MY idea of what a real Sporty should be, a bike meant to be ridden and not just looked at. I'm still making certain concessions to looks though. I still have a 2.1 gallon tank good for about 70 miles. I'm keeping the bias ply, tube tires for the spoked wheels. And there are a myriad of other things, but they are compromises that I'M willing to make because I also enjoy a certain "look" with my bike. Especially this bike... It's all about buying, building, and riding what YOU enjoy...

18. nhbubba

nhbubba Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer:
    I've only had the opportunity to do one track day so far. That day I rode my V-Strom in, disconnected the lights and signals, rode all day, ate the sack lunch I carried in with me, put her all back together and rode it home. That day I shared garage space with an HD product to my right and a 'wing to my left. All had a great time.

[​IMG]

I agree, only "bar-hop" riders.
  19. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    :webers Amen.
  20. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]