The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Rema in Paluda

Rema in Paluda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Steve in ATL

Steve in ATL How ya like me now?

Oddometer:
    Since we're posting pretty pictures of lines on charts, can someone explain this one to me? And what it all means?

[​IMG]
  3. Rema in Paluda

Oddometer:
    Thats with TCS on, their own last (nr.17) auspuff empphelung, has no such dip visible, what they have done to present such a weird curve i don't know, non of the other graphs i have show such a dip
    (well, the ones of R12GS i have do show it like that)
  4. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    The red line (3rd gear and lower) is exactly what I feel on my bike - power comes in strongly at around 5000rpm - will try with TCS off and see if that results in a smoother response
  5. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a wild guess:
    Perhaps Gang 3 is 3rd gear, and Gang 4 is 4th gear?
    And dip in curve is because of Yamaha's concept of safety?
    Are the first 3 gears power restricted? :eek1
  6. Rema in Paluda

Oddometer:
    Of course, what use does a spinning wheel have, a gear is a reduction, so if you have 100+nm in 5th, it wil be amplified according the reduction, switch TCS to off, and put sportsmode on, and your wheel will go sideways if you gas it with 106nm cranktorque.

In touring mode the lower gears are restrikted to about 50 in 1rst to 75 in 4th only 5th and 6th have 106hp in T, and the throtlle is cointrolled in a nice logarithmic manner so the pillion isn't aware of the still blistering acceleration, compared to almost any cruiser or tourer.
  7. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    You got it, except torque in stead of power.

The bold text in the little snippet says: "Up to 3rd gear torque is electronically restricted in lower rpm's".
  8. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    yip, below about 4800rpm
  9. coast range rider

coast range rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Rema in Paluda

Oddometer:
    Without TCS, thats quite essential, especcialy when banking a bike, they need to *prepare* the bike before strapping it up, the spring needs maximum preload, and the tire needs to be fixed slightly in front of the roller midpoint, so the tire digs in. If those preps arent looked at, the bikes TCS will kick in to prevent the rear tyre hopping on the roller.

My TKC now is cleaned out of its nobbies almost entirely so if the bank is reapaired at the shop, i will do a summerising with all mode-combo's next week.
  11. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, you guys are starting to get confusing. Whether the bike is in Sport or Touring mode should not have a bearing on torque or power, just the character of delivery. Whether the traction control is in TCS-1, TCS-2 or OFF SHOULD matter.
  12. Steve in ATL

Oddometer:
    How do you alter the "character of delivery" if you don't alter the amount of torque delivered? It makes more sense that it is a function of the engine map since the traction control would have to be disabled during a dyno run, since the computer cannot compare front wheel speed vs rear wheel speed.
  13. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah! Great 'fuzziness clearer.' Thanks :D Yes, that makes perfect sense. I also wasn't catching the 'at lower RPMs' part.

I owned liter bikes for quite some time, then switch to a 250 after a injury/accident. I've finally rehabbed and adapted to the point where it's time to bump-up the displacement again. It's nice to have all of the electronic nannies while I reaquaint myself with the added power :wink:
  14. Steve in ATL

Oddometer:
    Super Tenere + TCS mode 2 + Sport mode = the perfect step-out, every time!

Hope you are fully recovered - crashing sucks. :/
  15. Robbo60

Robbo60 Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Graham has a good point, and the waspworks is a slip on, but are they going to test evey brand on the planet?

I trust dynos about as far as I can throw one, particularly in this age of ride by wire throttles and electronic intervention, (various maps, restrictions, etc).
    A dyno does not replicate riding along a road, they present a lower load, so this can have an effect, esp on a RBW machine.
    Not surprised to see the results, the factories are no dills.
    However I think there is only one way to get a definitive answer:
    Have 2 Super Tens, one bone stock, one with slip-on.
    Fill both bikes from same bowser, same storage tank, same day. (fuel can vary from one delivery to another and by site and by brand, etc)
    Go to long straight road. Use two riders or one and accurate timing.
    Do several runs side by side through the gears and from a designated speed but hold only one gear, 4th.
    Swap riders do same.
    Let cool a bit, swap exhausts ONLY. (takes 10 minutes, done it myself)
    Repeat all of the above.
    If one rider proves to be a total numpty, or one machine seems 'off colour' use one rider and accurate timing instead.
    Post results.
    But frankly, who gives a toss?

However, my bike when bone stock struggled to pass 190 klm/h, now with the std air filter and a full Arrow system that looks and sounds glorious :evil (main reason to have) it zips straight to 220 klm/h. Both numbers were on the speedo, so optimistic, but repeatable.
  16. Rema in Paluda

Oddometer:

"Buth who gives a toss" :wink:

A way more conclusive test for real world performance imho is the passover test, both mills running a given speed of say 50 in 5th (6th often beying an overdrive) and than wacking fullthrottle without any normal feeding.

Then you'll see which mill has controlled uasable power, more often than not the slip-on-one gets a nasty cough befotrre taking off, it will sometimes overtake the standard bike from about 175-180, but it has been looking into the standards tail quite a while.

Just putting a filter and slip-on on a bike without mapping can have a disastrous effect on lowrev loaded running, a plain GS will make that very audible by nocking like Oskar on his Tin Drum.

About the measurements on Dyno's your partly right, when looking at the figures of a old dynojet, who accumalate a guestimate of power from calculating out of the accalerated mass of its roller a certain calculated graph.

But nowaday's there are banks with retarders, so you can actually put a load on the engine, giving a way better compression, and you are able to do a static loaded speed, to really check what the lambdapickup doesm because thats *really* slow in registering and altering fuelmixture.

But it shure has no use whatsoever comparing graphs from different dynamometers, they all guesstimate on their own accord, so there is my trust in das Motorrad, though i know they are not objective, and test tthe S10 with TC against BMW without, they do test all slip-ons on the same day so there is real comparition possible between the graphs.

Sometimes they can not test all given things on one day, and they mostly tell it when enviroment changes, and temperature of the feul can change considrably, but feulmixture is mostly the same, go and look at a loading dock at e refinery, and be amazed all brands fill up their trailers at the same dock, just the dopes are different, the basepetrol is "One oil to rule them All" so to say :-)

The cooler and wetter the day, the higher the specific output.
  17. Robbo60

Robbo60 Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer:
  18. roarin calhoun

roarin calhoun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got to ride my new Tenere. It's an ok bike but I'd rather ride my old GS1200 I had for 4 years. The Yamaha is close but the weight is noticeable. Some engine heat but not near enough to be a problem. Shifting is as clunky as the beemer which surprised me a lot. Ran over a bunch of red bricks lying by a river with the Tenere. Seemed darn smooth. Corner blasts fine. The great thing is the Yamaha should be MUCH more reliable than the GS,but when it worked,the GS was slightly better ,I think. No regrets though. Going to like this bike. Haven't ridden it in nasty dirt yet but it looks like it'll be ok. Heading for mountain roads in a week or so.
  19. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost everything you say runs contrary to what 99.9% present S. Tenere/ ex GS owners say. Especially the 'shifting is a clunky as the Beemer' part :huh. The S10 thing shifts as smoot as butter...the GS like a farm tractor. Either you are trolling, and have caught me, or you need to return the bike to the dealer to have it looked at.
  20. Krautbikeman

Krautbikeman Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a set of SW Motech pannier racks/frames available, preferably with the quarter-turn removable fasteners? Twisted Throttle is out for at least two months and I'd like to get up and running a little earlier than that. :lol3