GoPro HD Hero Camera

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wesley J, Dec 23, 2009.

1. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for answers, very helpful and useful.

I presume the times above are the same even if for example you would just want to record say 10 mins for every 1/2 hr of riding and not leaving it on record all the time?

Want to record when I get to the trails only.

Thanks again.
  2. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for the H3. I can tell you with my H2 the battery time is the same whether recording or not. ON is ON.
    I get about 2.5 hrs on a single battery with the H2. I wonder what I will get with it powering the wifi back too. :huh
  3. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    The wifi back has it's own battery.
  4. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    And after it runs out it will revert to the internal H2 battery. Tomorrow I'll be on a 300+ mile road trip. That would be about 8-10 hours on the road. I'm not sure how this will work out on batteries. I might just use the wifi to do the setup on the bike. Then swap back to the bacpac. I haven't cut up any cases yet to run external power to the unit.
  5. Wired

Wired Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While it wouldn't turn off the wi-fi from the bacpac, there should be an option on your computer to automatically connect when the network is in-range. Uncheck this box and your computer should not automatically connect.
  6. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I'm on a Mac - was not able to find a way to turn off the automatic connection to it so I just removed the GoPro WiFi network connection completely from the Airport Network Preferences. I didn't really see any reason to leave it in there.

My normal network connection isn't "visible" so the GoPro one always connected first but I don't think I'll see that now.
  7. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The H2s are about 2x better than the H3B battery-wise, my H3B won't work as I intended because of the battery. I'll be modding it to accept external power.
  8. TimothyCaseTimothy

TimothyCaseTimothy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay, let the beatings commence:

Looking for actual use/guidance on how many photos and qty. of video (with the default settings) can be had on a 32gb micro SD in the Hero 3...

I'm sure this has been covered before, so thank you in advance for the redundancy...

Tim
  9. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage

Oddometer:
    So I'm working with the new Hero2 I rec'd for Xmas. One mounting point will be Teletubby style on top of the lid. Problem is I wear a Nolan N90 flip up. The top edge of the visor goes waaaaaay back when the chinbar is raised.

[​IMG]

I haven't tested the camera on the helmet yet. Anyone have any experience in mounting this far back?

Thanks.
  10. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cant understand why they or someone hasnt come up with an option for connecting external power, its an obvious addition for bikers.
  11. atgatt

atgatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any ideas on how one might hook up an iphone and a hero 3 black via wifi... then pair the iphone with a Sena SMH10 to get bluetooth microphone capability? Is it even possible? Maybe the microphone jack on the hero needs a bluetooth device on it? or maybe plug the hero mic cable into the iphone? No idea... just started thinking about this.

Otherwise... anyone have a simple 3.5 jack mic they can recommend that mounts inside a helmet?

:hmmmmm
  12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H3e9XLiMJM
  13. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a flip up Shoei and mine works fine mounted back a bit. There is enough height and pivot of the camera to be ok.
  14. Tigeraif

Tigeraif n00b

Oddometer:
    I have mounted the gopro on the side of my matt black flip up helmet. I am about to head off on a long trip tomorrow. How secure are these mounts? Should I tether them?
  15. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    If the mount is glued on and has been on for at least 24 hours in a warm place, there is no need to tether. I have had to remove a couple of the mounts, and know just how strong the 3M adhesive is! You could probably hang off it and it wouldn't come off.

Took me a couple of hours of repeatedly soaking the adhesive with "Goo Gone" then prying with a spatula to get the mounts off. No joke.
  16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:

Wondered how to do that :D
  17. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    The 3M tape used can be released by applying heat by a hair dryer etc.
  18. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    I have had a mount on the top of my HJC modular helmet for over 3 years now. Believe me, once its installed on your helmet it's there until you buy a new helmet.

I'd tether the camera housing to the mount. On a get off the camera housing it more likely to break off before the black mount ever comes off that helmet. Use a fishing line with lead oval compression sleeve or go to a big box outlet like Lowe's or Home Depot to get some 1/32" or 1/16" cable w/oval compression sleeves.
  19. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info guys.
  20. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I just finished up my first vid from my Hero 2. Tried to use the GoPro CineStudio but it sucks. So I used the Microsoft Movie Maker. Super easy to edit once you get the hang of how things work. My only complaint is the amount of time to load for editing and uploading to YouTube. Damn, it takes a long time. Overall happy with the camera's performance. Great clarity and I recorded using 960 by mistake. 1080 will be next.:D