R100GS oil filter change

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by tractorking, May 23, 2014.

1. tractorking

tractorking Cafe Cafe Rally Racing

Oddometer:
    Ok first filter change on this bike, everything ive read has me terrified
    Got a HiFlo161

Its a 92R100GS with cooler
    No oring or other parts came with filter and its not hinged like the other one I cant seem to locate.

Is this ok, any issues, am i gonna blow my motor?

Help![​IMG]
  2. FrankR80GS

FrankR80GS BoGSer, what else?

Oddometer:
    To my best knowledge engines with cooler require a devided filter!
    http://www.amazon.de/Ölfilter-Mahle-OX36-für-Ölkühler/dp/B0068O1BU0
    And yes, you need to replace the so called 2000$ O-Ring. The BMW dealer will sell oil filter kits with O-ring.
  3. Biebs

Biebs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How long have you had the bike?? How many miles since the filter was changed??

I change the oil 4 or 5 times before I change the filter.

Do you have the exhaust nut wrench??

:freaky
  4. tractorking

Oddometer:
    It's time for oil filter change, it's been through 4 changes in +7500 miles.
    I have a split one buts it's not where I am doing the oil change so I bought this one on the fly but I don't think I will use it as Frank has confirmed what I thought as well.

I will just finish this oil change and change it again soon, can't hurt to change oil constantly. :1drink

Thanks guys.
  5. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    spokester likes this.
  6. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Changing the filter is not brain surgery and should be done just done correctly, be wary of overtightening the bolts that hold the outer casing - its often a good idea to thread lock some studs in their place and use nuts on the outside of the cover to save wear on the alloy threads. You need the correct filter - that one is wrong, you need the folding filter (there are two types of folding filter one for oil cooler models one for non oil cooler models, You will also need the black flat edge o ring - sometimes old o ring from the filter can be left at the bottom of the tube also the 4mm white O ring (do not re use the old one and do not use a non standard item, also be careful to ensure you replace exactly the metal shim etc if any fitted under the 4mm o ring, and if fitted a gasket under the cover - if no gasket is currently fitted then do not fit one, if you do this wrong you can have reduced oil pressure and do untold damage. While you are in there measure the distance from the outer engine case face to the recess metal inner tube - In order to ensure a perfect seal of the 4mm o-ring of the oil filter a gap of 3.2 to 3.8mm should be kept to the housing. If this distance is larger, the filter housing liner has moved to the rear - usually happens on higher mileage models - thats what the metal shim is used to correct to a point). If your unsure get your chassis number and use the BMW parts fische to locate the correct filter and seals - easy enough. These bikes do not need constant oil and filter changes, but I always done mine every 3000 mile (bmw stated 5000) also when you remove the filter let it drain then cut it open and check for any metalic traces - its a good indicator of engine wear or problems. I would not use synthetic oil personally but thats your choice, BMW actually supplied an SG oil specific for Airheads (not the stuff for oil heads) - sorry i do not have the part number - it was still available last year - but use a classic mineral oil of sg grade with the ZDDP additive. ( modern oils do not use this due to modern manuacturing tolerances and the use of catalyists - I know the argumenet over oil can go on endlessly - but this is my view based on various stuff I have learnt owning airheads since 1977. Finally make sure you bleed of the oil filter after the change to stop air locks. Tchus Jake.

Regarding oil this may be of interest - http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/oilessay.htm
  7. Bill Harris

Oddometer:
  8. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :d
  9. tractorking

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info.

Ive had old R Model airhead before and tons of other bikes.
    Just havent changed a filter on the R100GS with oil cooler.

I have read all the post and web stuff on it so i had a good idea it was the wrong filter, i have the correct one in storage so i will go dig it out.

Prepping for coast to coast and back next month so going through all the details.

Thanks again, very helpfull
  10. 190e

190e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know what filter your bike takes but I can state categorically that a HiFlo HF161 is the standard filter for non oil cooler airheads. It should measure 128mm long including the end seals.
    spokester likes this.
  11. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    In addition to being easier to install, the hinged filters are more resistant to collapsing from high cold oil pressure. I see no reason (cooler or non-cooler) to use a non-hinged filter.
  12. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    There are two lengths of oil filters one for non cooler oil filter bikes and one about a half inch longer for bikes with a factory oil cooler. Bmw and aftermarket filter makers made both one piece and folding oil filters for both lengths!! Just because it is a straight filter doesn't mean it's the wrong length. It is true that the folding one is more resistant to collapse. But frankly if the bike developes a issue where it wants to collapse the filter you've done something else wrong and you'll likely have problems whether the filter collapses or not. The folding filter was simply to make it easier to get the filter in and out around a fairing or exhaust pipe.
    spokester likes this.
  13. Bill Harris

Oddometer:
    True. The only reason I use a hinged filter on the /5 is that the filter can be installed without loosening the cylinder protection bar. It's worth a couple of bucks to be able to NOT have to do those extra steps.

--Bill
  14. akabeton

akabeton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

200+ years of collective knowledge made sure my first oil filter change was problem free.

Also another positive, they all brought their own beer. :D
    Uke, spokester and motorrad3DP like this.
  15. Udo

Udo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question: How many men does it take to change the oil filter on a BMW R100GS?
    Answer: Seven. One to hold the wrench to unbolt the cover, two to hold the motorcycle, four to turn the guy who's holding the wrench. :clap
  16. darklight79

darklight79 drink it , ride it , nail it

Oddometer:
    Wrong filter!!! Get a honge filter chage o ring everytime dont over torque
  17. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Filter length? I never thought to measure the two different type filters since the oil cooler filter has a completely different end on one end and the non oil cooler type has the same end on both ends. If that doesn't clue you in I doubt measuring them will either? Hinged filters? Oil cooler filters do not have to be hinged. Hinged filters collapse less? If your non hinged filter collapses a hinged filter is NOT the answer. Fixing whatever is wrong with your engine is the answer to that issue. White o-ring? You can re-use them over and over again with no problems whatsoever. I have as have many other people that I know of. Since then I have heard of SO many people having trouble with the setup that I quit doing that although it never caused anyone I know any grief.
  18. adventure950

adventure950 Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer:
    Reason I said not to re use the white o ring was simple I thought the guy was a novice, so to rule out any problems I stated to fit a new one - but always did anyway myself, they cost little, as for the filter yes I sastated wrong you can use the straight ones but they can be tight to get in on the gs around the exhaust pipe so I again always used a flexy one. Sorry chaps.:wink:
  19. WacoDirtryder

WacoDirtryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wrong filter that one is to short for R100GS.
  20. Bill Harris

Oddometer:
    Unless you can see and examine the o-ring, the advice should always be to replace it. A "bad" o-ring is too risky.

--Bill