travel clothing

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by fullmetalscooter, Jun 10, 2010.

1. snorske

snorske Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Merino wool
    Merino wool
    Merino wool

leave the synthetics behind unless you want to smell terrible!
  2. Planespotting

Planespotting Dreamin of ADV

Oddometer:
    Hear Hear!

Rode this summer 10 hours in 90+ degree weather with an Icebreaker long sleeve (150 weight) under a Dainese Avro textile jacket and may never go cotton or synthetic again.
  3. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Merino wool socks are the bombs so to speak. Real grovey . Most comfortable I ve even owned. Even wearing them 5 days in a row doesn't cause a stink. Add in that I found a site that sells returns from back country.com at 50% off and I really love them ( gear trade .com)
  4. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:

You buy used socks?
  5. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the North Face convertible pants and they are very good, but $80+.

I looked up these TDU pants on youtube and they look great and run about half the price. I will give these a try on my next trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Wx6o6xq14
  6. V@lentino

V@lentino V@lentino Supporter

Oddometer:
    Over cotton yes, but Merino wool is by far superior to synth and dries super fast. Icebreaker is my favorite, for all types of travel. There are others

The great thing about the Icebreakers is if you get several weights so can wear them as stand alones or combo for various temps. The 150s (thinner T-shirts) are much more comfortable and breathable than synth, in 40C + and high humidity (India) I was comfortable, and no stink.

True they are pricey but they come on sale once in a while, and the factory outlets can be dirt cheap. I did not care for the undies, they are not resistant enough (for me).
  7. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
  8. VentureHighway

VentureHighway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anything Merino Wool is my go to. It can be a large initial investment, though I bought a lot of it off of Sierra Trading Post. Can wear all of the gear year round, just layer up or down to your needs.

Synthetics can be great vs cotton, but pick up a hell of a smell in no time if you sweat. So it's a little more difficult to pull off those, 3 day, not changing your shirt stretches.
  9. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    +1 :thumb
  10. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    +2 :d
  11. Kit_Foxley

Kit_Foxley Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I'm LOVING my Icebreaker stuff for work and riding, but for the price, I'm really interested in Minus33... a lot less spendy than a lot of Icebreaker's stuff and possibly as good?
  12. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    I can help with the longjohns side of things. I bought a set of their mid-weight tops and bottoms last winter, and have used them when the weather was colder. They have worked out very well. I like them so much, I'm just getting ready to order a set of their Expedition level (their heaviest duty ones). Plan to take them way up north next year in case the temps plummet while camping.

And, if you have a Promotive account, they have some GREAT discounts on Minus33 stuff.
  13. Kit_Foxley

Kit_Foxley Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Ooh, thanks, good to know! Next up is looking into merino shorts that cover "sit bones". Guys seem to have it easier in that dept with boxer briefs, but ladies' underroos don't tend to provide as much coverage unless they're bicycle shorts.
  14. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tried the best of the Merino Wool products...I still itch. I go with the synthetics and rinse them out at night...they are good to go the next day. Hot weather or cold, I am sticking with chemistry vs. sheep farming. YMMV
  15. Airmail

Airmail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude I'm impressed :clap:clap:clap:clap More for less.......I have three Thrift stores within 15 minutes of my house, I'm going to start looking there.
  16. petravespa

petravespa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Besides the usual motocycle "outergear", I can highly recommend FILSON!
    Made in the USA, Tin cloth pants and shirts are cotton but treated with oil (dont smell, except a bit oily at the beginning). Can double as motocycle pants - 100% wind resistant and water resistant. if you are going to carry an extra pair, these are the one to carry! You dont need to wash them in the machine, wipe or brush clean them! They are like cardboard when you first wear them, but when all else has fallen apart or ripped at the seams, you'll be glad you bought them.

For the cold days, I have actually worn their Mackinaw wool pants in early December in Montreal and kept me warm down to -10C (14F). They are not cheap (about 230$) but they are quite versatile, good for snowboarding, skiiing or trekking in the winter. They also have stylish wool shirts that can double as office attire (as long as there is no heat in the office :lol3!)
    As they say on their catalog, "Guaranteed to last a lifetime", www.filson.com