Help me buy my first pair of mx boots.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Blizzard Beast, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Blizzard Beast

Blizzard Beast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right now I am looking at the Thor Q1's.
    http://ridersdiscount.com/offroad-gear/boots-men/108558.php

I won't be doing much offroading in them though.Maybe dual sporting,I'd say 80:20.
    The reason I want to buy mx boots is for the added level of protection.Maybe I don't really need them(for the riding I do)but I want to give them a try.
    Since this would be my first pair,I would like to start cheap.

I have never even seen mx boots in person,let alone trying them on.So I have a few noob questions:

1. Will regular fit jeans go over the boots or will I have to tuck 'em in?

2. I am also considering buying thor quadrant knee guards..http://ridersdiscount.com/offroad-gear/protection-adult/8651.php .So when I ride with the boots as well as the guards on,will they compliment each other as far as the fit goes?Or will they obstruct each other and be uncomfortable?
    And will it possible to ride with both on under a pair of jeans?
  2. DmsFab

DmsFab Banned

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of those Thor boots and they are OK at best. It took forever to break them in, the soles are not waterproof/resistant(leak where the soles are sewn to the boot) and they have a funky ribbed foam pad on the calf part of the boot that, after awhile, leaves deep grooves in your calves!! If it was me, spend just alittle extra and go for the Fox Comp 5 boots. They are as comfortable as tennis shoes but ofer good coverage!

I have not had good luck finding jeans that have big enough legs to go over the boots and still fit well on the waist. As for wearing the knee/shin guards, I find that they fit well and comfortable with or with out the boots. I wear them inside the boots to help keep them in place and attached to my legs.

You might try some of these Comp 5 "low tops": http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=27&navTitle=Apparel-MX+Gear&webCatId=1&prodFamilyId=20539

Good luck!
  3. SandHogSC

SandHogSC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with dmsFab. I have also owned these boots. For the money they do offer protection. I once caught my toe on a stump and would surely have broken my foot if I weren't wearing them, but they are very heavy, bulky and stiff and you wouldn't want to walk around in them for long. They do work with the knee pads. You would need baggy jeans to wear these under. These are realy off road boots. Do a search for dual sport boots and you will find a wealth of good suggestions.
  4. Fajita Dave

Fajita Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might want to find somewhere that you can try some MX boots on first. If you plan on walking any significant distance you would probably be better off getting something other than full MX boots. On most of them the soles don't flex at all and there is very little flex at the ankles. I haven't been in the market for new MX boots in a long time so I'm not sure how much they have changed. I just think it would be a good idea if you tried some on first.

Those Fox Comp 5 boots look extremely comfortable! Those soles look pretty soft and might make walking in them much easier. Thats a great price compared to many other boots on the market.

I still like my stiff old boots but I did try these on recently at a motorcycle shop. http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/alpinestars-no-stop-trials-boot/020-NS.aspx They were extremely easy to walk in with great flex but I think they would lack on protection slightly compared to other boots. For the price you'd probably be better off with the Fox boots anyway.
  5. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't remember what brand my boots are, but if I were buying again I would get ATV boots since they have tread on the soles. When your bike is upside down on a big pile of wet rocks and no one else is around slick soled boots are frustrating. I just unlatch the top three buckles on the boots if I'm going to walk around awhile.
  6. Blizzard Beast

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the suggestions.

I was looking at them and also the Thor 50/50's.But with shorty boots,isn't there a compromise in protection? Or will the knee guard cover the shin area completely?

I am looking at the Thor Q1's with ATV soles.
  7. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like any gear, individual fit is important. I have a pair of Alpinestars Tech 4's, with ATV soles. They are not made anymore, but if I had to replace them, I would get the Tech 3's with ATV soles.

As already mentioned, most MX boots are not waterproof.
  8. Wyvern

Wyvern Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have several different MX boots when in FULL off road mode. Alpinestar I like the most.

For Dual sport (on the Elefant) where riding position is "interesting" and the shifter a bit short with my wide pegs ...
    I do also ride foot-ups.

I LOVE my TRIALS boots

Novogar "Rage"
    A bit shorter than MX boots, more supple and so comfortable I can walk in them.
    There are not Armor Tank plates on them ... but nice protection.

They do fit IN my jeans

For the 2 and 3 day dualsports they are a pleasure.
    These are also my street boots...

[​IMG]
  9. batman1939

batman1939 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For my DR I have Sidi Discoveries which are great. Do a search and you can read all about them here. You can get your 501's over them but it is a lot of work. Carharts and other baggier pants no problem. I wear protective overpants all the time so it is really irrelevant in the end. With jeans I usually just bunch them up on top as tucking in is not comfortable.

I have Crossfires and Thor Force knee guards for my YZF. You can forget about getting jeans over these things. Use MX pants with them.

IMHO MX boots are meant for MX riding. Not really jean/ casual wear.
  10. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    If you wear full MX boots you don't need shin guards. The boots take care of your shins. Knee pads can be worn above any boot. If you plan on walking skip the MX boots. Some of the better units with hinged ankles flex a little and help but the bulk/weight still makes it tough.

The Garne trials boots are very comfortable but don't offer much more protection than a 8" work boot. Compromises.
  11. Blizzard Beast

Oddometer:
    I am now considering the fox comp 5 shorties along with Thor Quadrant knee guard.Will this combo be good enough for 80:20 riding.No serious offroad stuff.Are these boots decent for the streets?
  12. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    Google and check their lifespan. I've had two pairs of easy to walk in MX boots and both fell apart VERY quickly due to the flexing. One pair was made by FOX but not the Comp 5s.
  13. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    Look into Sidi Chargers, I love them.
  14. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    Your first pair will be your last if you buy the Sidi Crossfires.

You will not find a better boot :thumb
  15. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    :thumb I don't have these, but have a good pair of Gaerne Fastback's, which are awesome! I am merely quoting to support good boots. If I go down and break my ankle in the process, I know I've done everything in my power to prevent it.
  16. nomad guy

nomad guy A legal alien

Oddometer:
    i think you are choosing the wrong path by going cheap because its your first pair, in the world of off-road protection there is a correlation between price and quality, it is not only about the level of protection but also the quality of materials and comfort of use, it is fairly important to have a boot that would offer you the ability to change gears and control the rear brake.
    my choices are alpinestars and sidi, both did there job of protecting me a lot more then once (the last time was two weeks ago when a car t-boned my left leg).
    i wouldnt wear jeans for mx ridding at all and specifically over the boot as they tend to get caught on the boot closing buckles and restrict the leg movement.
    as a rule of thumb the more protection the better, so knee protectors are good. i would also consider a body armor or at list a chest and spine protectors.
    from my experience i can say that when i ride fully protected my ridding style and abilities improves so much just because i feel more secure.
    good luck.

cheers
    guy
  17. sellmeyer

sellmeyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 for Sidi Crossfires

I'm not sure if anyone makes a 'better' boot, but these are darn nice.

The crossfires were my first MX boot; are in fact my only boot now and I've been enjoying them for more than 2 years now. They offer adjustability to allow room to tuck in pants or can be made snug for putting pants over them...provided the cuff on the pants isn't too tight.

The protection is very good and I feel that they walk just fine. I tour with them as well as ride trails with them because I want the protection all of the time. Keep in mind that I don't complain when I wear ski boots or mountaineering boots!

So far I have lost only a single screw on the sole plate. Everything is tip top and I know that these boots will last for many years. They were expensive sure, but they have been great and will hold up for a long time.
  18. MapBoy

MapBoy here there be dragons...

Oddometer:
    My motocross boots offer great protection, but I've worn them exactly once for all the reasons mentioned above.

My Thor 50/50 boots offer slightly less protection, but I wear them every single time I get on the bike. I typically wear them all day at work too, because most days I forget to change into the sneakers I keep at work. [​IMG]

With shin pads, I think they are great for dual sport/light offroad too... and if you find yourself doubting the protection, either slow down or get full moto boots.
  19. dhally

dhally Hammerhead

Oddometer:
    I would definitely recommend trying on the boots first, and get ones that actually fit your feet like your shoes would. Every foot is different and each boot has it's own fit. The comfort of the boot will depend a large part on how they fit. I always wear an MX boot even when street riding. It never fails that I will "check out that side road/trail/hillclimb" and ride through rocks/trees/sagebrush. On solo ADVentures I carry walking shoes in case of break down.
  20. peterhively

peterhively Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my Gaerne SG-10s!

VERY comfortable.