The Suzuki GSX650F Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Dranrab Luap, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    There's been a few threads lately about the GSX650F lately, but I thought I'd go ahead and start a long term thread for future reference.

I came off of a V-Strom 650. It was a fantastic bike with two irremedial exceptions. It buffeted to the point it was fatiguing and it got blown all over the place on the interstate. I started hungering for a street oriented mileage muncher touring bike. I have never been a "compensatory" bike kind of guy, and didn't feel especially compelled to go that route this time, even though most of the touring bikes have large displacement engines.

My search led me to the 650F. I bought it based on what I read and what my dealer told me about it. As it comes, it is a standard bike with a full fairing. The factory bars give it a slightly forward leaning orientation. The pegs are a little higher than they are on the Wee Strom.

I had 1" higher/1" further back risers and a throttle lock added by the dealer. I added an Airhawk medium cruiser seat pad, and Givi racks and cases. I have yet to mount the Stebel horn I bought. I'll post some tips on the Givi install in a bit.

After my 600 mile break-in, I'll provide a semi-detailed review. Here she is in full dress.

[​IMG]
  2. Joel mark

Joel mark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had it narrowed down to another wee strom, or a GSX650F. I bought another wee strom, and have still wanted this bike ever since. I love the blue, bags look great on it also.

What kind of mileage are you getting (mpg)??

Obviously the seat is not very comfortable?

The main reason I did not get this bike is the lack of aftermarket support, Meaning not much out there yet, seats, or windscreens.

I hope you enjoy, as I still sit and gaze and wonder, what if??

Joel.
  3. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    Joel, only two fill-ups so far during the break-in period. I got an even 47 on both. It's not as economical as the Wee. I am curious as to how much the side cases will pull the mileage down. You mentioned the seat. NO seat is comfy to me. I have no meat on my sit bones. This is the first year of the F. I think the aftermatket will come along nicely. I don't think the bike will prove very popular in the states. I paid close to full price for mine. I'll bet you can get good discounts toward the end of the year.

If getting blown around on the interstate and in crosswinds, and buffeting are not problems for you, stick with the Wee. I would have.
  4. Coelomate

Coelomate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    especially in black, but the thing is a pig. Over 500 pounds for an inline-4 650 :huh To me it reeks of lazyness... 'let's just take this old model and put some plastic on it and see what happens!'

That being said, if it handles nice and works well who cares :evil
  5. fendermon

fendermon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like it a lot. :clap I also like that fact you could probably grab a handfull of throttle without too much drama, unlike the 1250 bandit. (Just a guess)
  6. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    A whole lot of people who see the weight automatically scoff at it. What it does for this bike is makes it rock steady and incredibly smooth. It is securely planted. It's not really an old model at all. There's a little bit of parts bin stuff...the fairing is off an earlier GSXR1000, but for the most part the bike is as new as the Bandit 1250 which shares its frame. I am not rider enough to push the suspension beyond its limits, so to me it handles fabulously. I like the way it handles better than the SV1000S I had. I haven't had it over 6K rpms, but within the range in which I have operated it, it makes very good power across a wide RPM range. It IS NOT a sport bike. Those wanting a sport bike need to look elsewhere. What it is to me is a fantastic touring bike that can give me all the thrills I can handle in the twisties. Ergonomics are great for me.
  7. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    You were right, it does look sort of blue in the photos. :scratch

Congrats on the new bike. Luggage setup looks familiar, I think you'll like it alot. :thumb
  8. Lochlyn_Deckard

Lochlyn_Deckard Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer:
  9. hyak107

hyak107 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like the GSX650F, I was close to buying one but opted for the V-Strom instead. I'll be interested in your post-break in review. It's still on my list if I decide to trade the SV650 in on something next year. Heavy bikes don't bother me as long as the weight is carried well. The extra pounds help when the weather gets nasty.

Any idea how difficult it would be to remove the fairings when doing maintenance?
  10. Nessman

Nessman Ебать Путина

Oddometer:
    :lurk

You go boy!! The B1250 is still pulling my chain, li'l brother is cool as well.

We Americaners need more standards, I loved the big CBFs I saw over in England.
  11. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    I haven't done it yet, but I looked it over. It looks reasonably simple. Thankfully the oil filter can be changed without removing the fairing.
  12. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    I had hoped to keep this thread positively focused on the GSX650F. I had a hunch that you and JamesG would try to take a shit on it. I'd appreciate it if you'd keep photos of your mom and sisters in the Ride Reports forum.
  13. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    You must have been looking for Jo Momma. Take the elevator a few floors down into the basement. :thumb
  14. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    No worries about the comic relief as long as you have no worries about the comic retort.:freaky

I clicked on that Corbin link and DAMN!!! The side cases look fantastic, though they are a touch on the small side capacity wise. At 1700/pair, that's enough to scare me away. I like the looks of that seat too. I have heard that Bandit 1250 seats will fit the 650. I'd like to have a different seat.
  15. vbl

vbl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And surely someone will brainstorm some ways to lose a little weight, like a new can, lighter subframe, some CF bits in places.

Seems like a solid platform - I'd love to get one and strip it.
  16. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm heading to my Suzuki dealer tomorrow for a test ride. Love what you did with the Givis. It's between on of these and an FZ6. Or a Bandit 1250. Gawd, I hate sitting on the fence:freaky But, there does seem to be a lot of plastic on this bike. Good to hear it can stay on for an oil change though.:clap

They're even going to let me try a GSXR750! I would never buy one, but it will be kind of neat to ride one.....yes mom, I'll go slow!
  17. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    Again somebody has mentioned the weight. If you want a lighter bike, the market has provided those. What a lighter bike won't give you is the plush, planted ride this one has. Think smooth, stable and vibration free. I think by lightening it up, you are trying to make it something that it's not. When I read about the heavy weight I actually hoped it would help plant the bike, and it did!

I love the FZ6 and considered it, but from all that I read, it makes its power way up in the rev range. That's great if you are looking for a more sporting ride. You could start this bike off in third gear and get good pulling power. It makes very satisfying real world power.

My shifting has been a little funky. I may have a linkage problem. I stopped by the dealer today and he showed me on a parts diagram what he suspects it may be. Told me to ride it a bit longer and see if the problem goes away.

[​IMG]
  18. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Dont mind the wieght. Like you said, it makes for a more stable ride. The FZ6 is out of the running. While I really like the Givis, I'm more of a waterproof duffle and bungy cord guy. If I get rained out tomorrow, I'll be quite pissed. I have to ride my "rat" 160 miles to the dealer! GRRrrr. Maybe they'll gine me a rain check. We'll see. Cheers:freaky
  19. XZed

XZed Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    No kidding, man those are seriously nice looking.