Street legal Trials bike for Canada/US?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Northern Rob, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
    Hi, I realize that dual sporting a trials bike is a bad compromise, but there is a great trials spot a few miles up the street and it would avoid trailering...which would be great.

The local trials club is very strict on only letting trials bikes on their trails... no dirt bikes - so it would have to be the real deal.

Anyone know any models that are (or were) street legal trials bikes in Canada/US? Older bikes are ok. I don't need to be competitive on the trails. Just having fun.
  2. usafric

usafric Rio Rancho NM

Oddometer:
    Probably not going to help you, but come down to Arizona, and you can register most any bike for the street...
  3. Transalp Jas

Transalp Jas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know what the rules are in vancouver. Would it be possible to add a dual-sport kit to a trials bike? In a lot of places, you can get away with a headlight, brakelight and a plate hanger.
  4. jpkidd

jpkidd n00b

Oddometer:
  5. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen, thank you - and jpkidd, that model you show in Edmonton looks like just the ticket. At least I know what to look for.

If anyone knows any other models, I'll put them in e-bay, craigs list searches too...

I really appreciate it folks!

Rob

P.S. Arizona sounds like bike heaven. Will also talk to my wrench to see if I can make one of my old trials bikes street legal for Canuckistan. Good advice.
  6. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be watching this thread. There are numerous places within two miles of my house that makes a street legal trials bike very worthwhile. The only street legal one that I know of in California would be the Honda TLR 200.
  7. gybeman

gybeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The current GasGas models may still come with all the street hardware but unless your MTO office (DMV for the US guys) have them on the OK list for BC you will be out of luck with the exception of 20+ yr old bikes such as the one shown that where prevously allowed.
    My 2008 250 came with /DRL/hi/lo beam, switches for turn signals and headlight, horn, speedo computer (same as the enduro model), tail/brake lights and switches. Basically everything you would need except turnsignals, but the switch is there for that too. No chance to street plate it in Ontario though, as shortly after I street plated my 300EC they pulled the plug on allowing such things to happen due to non conforming vin# and NIVIS which states its an offroad only model. Luckily they are still allowing the previously plated bikes to remain plated.
    What trials trails are you speaking of ? A bud is moving to BC as I type and I'm sure he will be interested.
  8. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
    There is a trials club with many km's of great trails just up the mountain from Coquitlam, BC ....http://www.trialsclub.org/index.html
  9. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    I know this is an incredibly late reply... But I picked up a plated 1986 Honda TLR 200 for the wife (dont tell her, but its for me too)

CA street legal from the factory... Its a real hoot. Git some funny looks putting around town on it.
  10. Oldbutslow

Oldbutslow Log Cabin Poet

Oddometer:
    Is the new Ossa Explorer street legal? On the website of the American Importer in Iowa, it shows lights, blinkers, etc. If it is, this could cause major problems with the wifey...!:evil
  11. johnto

johnto n00b

Oddometer:
    What about the KTM Freeride 350, its a mix between trial and dirtbike??
  12. Oldbutslow

Oldbutslow Log Cabin Poet

Oddometer:
    Just checked with the local inspection folks and they said that they would have no problem with the new Explorer passing inspection. Next stop is the DMV office. ,BK
  13. arapaho

arapaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Montesa 4RT was not street legal from the box, but in England they were delivered with lights and signals. Nearly everyone takes that stuff off and many end up on eBay for cheap. My Monty came with a full set of lights purchased in England for less than 100 pounds. I haven't installed them (yet) but I have them. I still need DOT Tires before I go for a title, which is relatively easy in Colorado.
  14. dmay

dmay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

There are a few of these in the country this year,but I'd bet you'd need to decide real soon if you want one as there won't be many.I'm sure it will be up to the owners to see if they can register them in their particular states. I am considering one,but won't have the extra money for awhile.
  15. neilking

neilking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a title for it? Do you have to have a title to register?
  16. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arizona is great. I got street legal plate upgrade on my 2012 Sherco 2.9 above the standard offroad plate for $4.75
    Didn't even inspect it.
    Registered as "primarly offroad" but with street legal status. Not truely street legal as it lacks horn, tail light, mirror. But the biggie is taken care of, registration and insurance. If anyone really wanted to bust me about it I will have a few fix-it items that I will have to address. Not that I will run roads around town with it, but it is legalish on forest service roads and the like now.