Toyota trucks

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Anorak, Jan 23, 2011.

1. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:
    A 22RE, with a factory Turbo... From 115(?) to 135hp. Plagued with problems and IMO should NOT be taken on by anyone other than an enthusiast.

You can't just use any Turbo stuff on them. The ECU parameters will NOT allow it.

But most other stuff is an easy fix, thanks to modern technology and aftermarket, if you know your stuff.

The CT20s arent worth their weight in piss, but a CT26 from a 7MGTE is practically a bolt-on.

Blah blah blah MLS head gaskets, APR head studs... I'm gonna give it more go by using RE pistons with the stock open-chamber head...

Stock c/r is still low, at 7.5:1, even for a Turbo.

3.62" bore x 3.5" stroke, of cave-man simple, beautifully simple and damn reliable EFI, SOHC Iron block with aluminum head R greatness! :D
  2. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff.

I can see why you're into the older trucks and that's great. I've just had enough of laying under some broken truck at -10 degrees and the wind is blowing any heat I can manage in my well ventilated garage right out the walls and any job becomes a big job when your fingers hurt like hell but I need to go to work tomorrow...no thanks - been there, done that. I'll make a payment on a nice, tight, reliable truck that does everything I ask of it and fits me like a glove.

That's not so bad, is it? :deal
  3. FatherX

FatherX Supervising the Heros

Oddometer:

just did the brakes on my 97 Honda Odyssey...a payment was looking pretty good yesterday :lol3

it's cold in Ohio too.

I miss my Toyotas. Never had a Toyota truck , but my first car was a '78 Corolla SR5 Wagon (rumor had it that they used light truck parts in it, sooo...) That freeway sign green was stunning with the gold pinstripe.

A lot like this one but not as trick

[​IMG]

I had several Celicas 79, 88, 89 and my wife was driving a newish Corolla 4 door when we met (true love certainly)

Loving the Toy trucks in this thread...:clap
  4. 09Prodigy

09Prodigy Instigator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chuck!

Here is my '87 I attempted to hit every tree in the Dollar creek of Alaska with that thing!

[​IMG]
  5. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:
    lol... I'll give you a few...

They're cheaper. Don't come with a payment. Cost out-right what a down payment of a new one would be...

They're actually compact. I do not prefer to get what is essentially a full-size truck stuck, nor have to free what is essentially a full-size truck.

And if you fix things like you should, BEFORE they become a problem, you won't be under a truck in -10 degree weather.

But that, PM, is not an americans strong suit. That, is; "Making a payment" :D

Believe me or not, it actually recomends when say a timing chain replacement is in order, in a owners manual.

Nowhere in it does it say; "Wait till timing chain tensioner is GONE, and chain has wore a hole in the timing cover to replace. "

Or, "Wait until clutch material is gone, past the slipping stage, and the rivets are now contacting the flywheel before replacing"
  6. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    The stock engine has 381 horsepower.
    How much does the supercharged version have?
    Is that yours? I have an 08.

The engines are made in Huntsville, ALABAMA. USA
  7. 09Prodigy

09Prodigy Instigator

Oddometer:

There is no doubt the Original Toyota Pickups are cheaper, very reliable and less expensive to repair and or maintain. And I agree with preventative and regular maintenance. The don't fix it until it is broke is a very bad idea.

With that said and having owned an 85 and an 87 before purchasing my 06 There is NO comparison between them. In today's world with the length of travel and the time spent in a vehicle there is no way I would rather drive a 85 SFA than even my built 06. It Rides better gets comparable fuel mileage and is a hell of a lot more comfortable in the winter as my heater actually works great when it is below zero..

If you want to make silly comparisons of two great trucks lets take a look at the 68-72 Chevy's vs the an 06 Chevy that also went from a SFA to an IFS. There is no real comparison based upon usage.

AS for the Cost factor, well of course it is going to be less expensive to buy a 25+ year old truck than a new one?? What is your point, they are still not the same.

In regards to your "What is essentially a full sized truck comment"
    Try doing this with a full sized Tundra or Chevy..

[​IMG]
  8. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:

You speak the truth. It's a shame you can't adopt modern engine managements to the old ones...

Now a days the V6's are making V8 power, and getting big 4cyl mileage...

Heck, look at that Dodge V8 car that shuts down every other injector at no-load highway use...

You are dang right about ride quality tho... Comparing the two, I guess solid axles were the thing years and years ago, and are still in service today and in some markets only recently replaced by IFS... And the coil spring IFS that the market demands for today, that started with the IFS in 86.

Then and now.
  9. sloMark

sloMark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Am I nuts.......There's a 2001 v6 4Runner at my local Toyota dealership w/ 101k on the clock, they want $9500 for it. I want it bad. Its super clean, it does not have the running boards or the roof rack many came with, its just the way I would have wanted it back in 2001, clean and simple. I could trade in my 2011 Tundra Crewmax and have no payment. Heck, with the left over cash I could probably also payoff the wife's 2008 4Runner.

Makes me miss my 1987 SR5 pick up and my 2002 TRD I had. When they actually had a gear shift to put'em into 4WD. My Tundra is nice, it's just so friggin huge, I dunno, this has been on my mind a lot. It would also free up some cash for another bike.
  10. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stress removal is a good thing. Since you have a four runner I suggest a Tacoma to give you another tool in the shed...
  11. sloMark

sloMark Long timer

Oddometer:

I got rid of a 2006 TRD Taco xtra cab for the Tundra ( back in 2009, the wife was not happy about how our new son fit in the xtra cab, he's now 2.5 yrs old. ) I've had three Tacomas (the 1987 wasn't a "Tacoma") and now this Tundra. The 2012 Tacomas look nice, looks like they re-worked some angles on the front end, I dig'em.

Really, the pricing for a TRD Tacoma and an SR5 Tundra was pretty close, plus I got 0% for 60months on the Tundra. Got the iForce 5.7 and tow package too. There's no 0% on the Tacomas ever.

Today wife and I briefly discussed what car we were gonna take on vacation this summer (beach vacation for our boy, Pgh to Hilton Head). She said, "lets take the 4runner, it has the miles on it already and is better on gas. Plus your open Tundra bed, if we stop and let him (our son) walk around a bit, we gotta keep an eye on the bed since people can steal stuff out of it, ya know, like at restuarants and stuff." That left me sitting there thinkin', then why'd we buy this ginormous Tundra :huh. I though it was to be the family vacation mobile...............the family truckster.

Maybe I'll take the 2001 4Runner for a test drive and that'll change my mind, can't see the differnce being very small, it's gonna be huge I think. I just get in these moods sometimes.
  12. 09Prodigy

09Prodigy Instigator

Oddometer:
    It seems to me you don't really use the "Truck" part of the truck very much. SO another Runner may be in your future. The other option is getting a 4 Door Tacoma. You will still have the bed and a back seat as well.

However you may also want to consider getting a Tonneau cover to ease the worry of having items pilfered out of the truck.

On the other side, everything I own is paid for. I save and pay cash for most everything I purchase. That feeling has made my life pretty much stress fee. A few years ago I had some serious kidney issues that required having one removed. I had great insurance but still had to rely on savings to pay my share and keep the household in order. I made it through the 2 years of treatments etc without going in the hole. I don't think I would have been able to do that even with one bike payment and one vehicle payment.

It comes down to what you want.. and this is only my .02 cents.
  13. BeaterToyota

BeaterToyota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And to think, I cut out my IFS and swapped a straight axle from an older truck... :lol3 They both have their place.

For everyday/daily driving these old trucks are just too underpowered, cramped, and uncomfortable.

[​IMG]
  14. BeaterToyota

BeaterToyota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, having owned my '88 for over 19 years now and still loving it, it's no comparison to a newer vehicle in ride quality, power, etc., etc. My dad had an '05 double cab, and now has an '09 double cab. They're nice trucks. No comparison to my junk.

As some have mentioned though, Tacomas and Tundras are quite expensive (at least here in northern VA). For some reason Tacomas hold they value even way better than comparable years/mileage/trim 4Runners. When I was looking at V8 powered rigs I got way more truck for my $9,000 when I bought a used Chevy 2500HD than I could have gotten for a used (first generation) Tundra. Would have loved to buy a 5.7 Tundra, but they're too much money for me.

[​IMG]
  15. 09Prodigy

09Prodigy Instigator

Oddometer:
    I have considered a SAS for a very long time. You wont get any arguments from me regarding strength. My rig is set up more Expedition than Crawling and for that I believe through 110K miles now IFS it is just fine for me!

My next "upgrade" will be to send it to URD and let Gadget install a Supercharger.
  16. BeaterToyota

BeaterToyota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gadget's a cool dude with some good products. I've known him and have been wheeling with him for years since he's just on the other side of the Washington DC beltway from me. Seen his (now sold) supercharged Runner break it's share of CV joints on the trails.
  17. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    Yup, mine! :D

The TRD supercharger boosts it to 504hp. I also added the TRD catback dual exhaust which may add a couple more, not a lot but it sure does sound nice. :wink: It's really a great truck, I smile every time I get behind the wheel.
  18. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    As 09Prodigy suggested, a tonneau cover on that Tundra solves the problem of worrying about the security of your stuff. The tailgate locks. I originally didn't think I wanted a tonneau, but about a month after I bought the Tundra I got the cover and have not regretted it for a moment.

Re gas mileage, a couple good friends of mine have 4Runners, and I've owned a Taco and a couple of pre-Tacos, and the mileage of the Tundra iForce is not all that much worse, really. Maybe a couple MPG on the highway. 4Runners burn a lot of gas.

And if you want to spice up your life and add some serious excitement to driving that Tundra, spend a pile of money and throw a supercharger on it! The 381hp stock engine is no slouch, but the supercharger makes it into an whole different truck. You'll be amazed..... :wink:
  19. 09Prodigy

09Prodigy Instigator

Oddometer:
    This one? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://youtu.be/9tRoFOm7KHQ

I met Gadget at Takeover in Farmington NM 2007. Another guy (Brian) and took I him to Moab afterwards. It was a great trip.
  20. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Bemused

Oddometer:
    Still do. The 3.5 V6 in the 2012 Camry is rated at 268 hp/248 lb. ft., the 4.0 V6 in the 2012 Tacoma is 236 hp/266 lb.ft. Interestingly, the same engine is rated at 270/278 in the 2012 Tundra and 4Runner, and 260/271 in the 2012 FJ Cruiser.

Anybody know why the broad variation in the 4.0's rating across different (but similar) truck and SUV applications? Seems like it would be easy for Toyota to improve the Tacoma's competitive position by uprating the engine; as it stands now it's well behind every competitive V6.