Built a trail on my property - legal?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by _CJ, Nov 3, 2014.

1. _CJ

_CJ Sitting on pins and needles

Oddometer:
    Paved street. Paved driveway.

The HOA that's a pain in the ass is for the housing development up the hill. They have no say in what happens down here, but they have to drive on our streets to get there. I hold the opinion that there are other streets they can use, so if they don't like my (licensed and insured) junky old truck, or landscaping choices, they can use a different street. My neighborhood was built out in the 60's and 70's, the development up the hill was built out in the 90's and 00's. They're mostly a bunch of people who are, or used to be, in charge of something or somebody, and apparently have nothing better to do except meddle in other people's business and speed down my street at 40+mph even though there's a posted speed limit of 20mph. My neighborhood does have it's own HOA, but it's voluntary and is really more of a social thing. $10/yr if you do join. No rules other than city code, and no power to enforce anything. Rumor has it that they DO report people to the city for violations, and I have no problem with that.

We bought the house (built in 1964) from the original owners. While it looks like there was a time when the property was very well kept, it doesn't appear to have been maintained much at all in the last decade or so. I've hauled eight pickup loads of yard debris out of here, and there's still more to be done.

The curb was already covered in dirt, and I uncovered it. The soil here is decomposed granite (kind a 50/50 mix of dirt and pea gravel), so silt washing down the street isn't really a big issue. In fact there is still sand on the street from the plow trucks last winter. What you see in the picture can be swept clean with a broom.

The trail is constructed in such a way that it's unlikely for any substantial erosion to occur. I've helped groups build trails in the area and have learned a fair amount about building sustainable trails. Virtually all the trails built with these techniques were undamaged by the big floods last year.
  2. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    I have been to CJ's once, don't recall a curb in the traditional sense but his road is paved.

yep, I recall where he lives there are homes into the millions up the hill so I can see them being pretty powerful. But then again why do those homes need an HOA, people spending millions don't tend to put junkers int he front lawn on blocks....really no need for an HOA at all.

We don't have an HOA here in Monument in our sub. From my understanding people sued the developer because they found out they didn't have an HOA...huh!!! That's like moving into a neighborhood that has an HOA and suing because your in an HOA. Makes no sense either way. What ended up happening is there was a Design Committee but the builder funded it so he funded it one more time and when the money ran out it went defunked. Clearly says in the Design Committee papers this is a Non Fee, Non Due, and Non HOA community.

An old guy tried to start one 3 years ago I think it was. He even claimed we were an HOA, and was misleading people it's when I researched it. He claimed to be the President, held secret meeting and I started to go around to all 313 homes. Some were for an HOA, some original people were like WTF I thought we killed this idea, others were like sorry we just rent.

Bob was our HOA nazi guys name, he even filed papers with the Clerk of the county to collect money at closing to be sent to an account he setup. I got the news on him, I had a detective looking into fraud and a lawyer or two in the neighborhood got involved and then Bob stopped and even moved away.

Why did he do all this!!! Because his bus size RV was parked in front of his house for weeks on end and I almost hit a kid so I called on him and then this is when it all started. He figured if he was President he could do what he wanted. His main complaints, everyone has different garbage guys, and grass in driveway cracks.

The City takes care of our sidewalks, Tri-View takes care of our parks and stuff. So collecting money was to collect money for the lawyer, it turned out the lawyer was also Bob's best friend. Lot's of money to be had in being a lawyer for HOA's.

Probably the best moment going around to people in my neighborhood was an old couple that loved Bob. Loved the idea of an HOA. They made a complaint about a house diagonal that was at the time just sold and bought. I mentioned I talked to them, and they said oh they don't own the house they are renters. I said "oh really" and I turned around walked right over with them watching and said "hey Seth I been told your renting, and he said WTF I pay the mortgage, and I said well someone claimed you were a renter so I had to check"...I glanced over and the old couple are watching me as I point to them. That's went I learned his wife was also a lawyer and said F them, and F Bob and his HOA claims.

I'm very much against HOA's, they are meant to protect property values, but yet they nit pick on stuff that does not affect values. Like this guy and his Flag Pole...some people have to much time on their hands to make complaints. http://www.wthr.com/story/27052664/...7004432428597_578001878995519_578001878995519
  3. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Then move up in cost of home if a nice neighborhood has junk cars outside...LOL We hardly live in a RICH sub $250K to $450K homes and no one has junk cars out *shrug*
  4. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    I would think one could fight that as long as it didn't have a company name plastered down the side. It's just a make of VAN. One that cost a ton. I know I looked at them too...they can be decked out like any van.
  5. duct tape

duct tape Lost

Oddometer:
    Ha, you left one out. The HOA where I once lived told me to take down my clear, acrylic basketball goal since it didn't match my home exterior. Since they don't make a goal in stucco I told them to stuff it and never heard another word.
  6. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    :nod

His neighbors have no open-ended right to be bother-free...
  7. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Another funny thing with Bob in our neighborhood. A lady with handicapped children across the street from Bob had a snow fence her neighbors were cool with it because her husband being a truck driver is typically gone.

Bob goes to me, "You know sometimes you just have to be nice and ask, like myself and the lady with the snow fence. I asked and she removed it". I say Bye Bob, and walk right over to the lady and say. So you removed your snow fence because Bob asked. She said "WTF No he went to the city and threatened to SUE me".

I walk back over to Bob's, and tell him that was not nice to lie and go to the city. I said you do know she has 3 children with mental disabilities and she doe snot have time or energy to shovel her driveway. I looked at bob and said, why didn't you just offer to help her shovel the driveway if she remove the fence...he stumbled and I said bye and left.

Part of being a neighbor is helping your neighbors not being a dick and calling the Code Enforcers over a snow fence that didn't affect Bob, and her direct neighbors she did ask. I've shoveled our neighbors driveway...heck the lady across the street we barely even know but she was saying how she lost her job, and I said "if there is anything the wife & I can do let us know". Are we not suppose to help each other!!!

Sorry Fuck HOA's
  8. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    We have no neighbors so that isn't an issue :lol3
  9. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My only first hand experience with an HOA was when I rented out a condo in a complex. I'd had various run-ins with them--not directly, but they'd call the manager at the slightest perceived infraction. At one point, I had a friend come over, and he brought his dog along. We had to step out for about 20 minutes and left the dog on the porch. Within those 20 minutes, the manager had gotten a flood of phone calls of neighbors complaining about me "housing an unauthorized pet." When the manager confronted me upon my return, I was happy to tell him the situation, and that my friend had been helping me move boxes into my new apartment. My landlady said she was sad to see me go, but having also been notified of the complaints, she understood. That experience, along with what I hear from every other person that has lived with an HOA (except you, apparently), has made me determined to never live in such an arrangement.
  10. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:

Never lived in an HOA, don't see the need. Closest I have been was an Apartment complex the wife and I lived before we married for 1 year. It was setup more like a Condo/Townhouse type deal. We did say HI to the couple downstairs who we shared a garage with (partitioned). Only complaint I had was someone kept throwing away my Wall Street Journal which is not a cheap news paper to get. It either had to be our downstairs neighbors, or the other two on the side...so I left notes on doors saying please do not throw away my news paper. I was pissed. Because it was not like they were stealing it, they were tossing it in the garbage which I found out by finding it (we had our own cans) still wrapped up (clearly my name, my apartment number on it). I wish GoPro's or security cameras were cheaper then Id setup cams to catch them and plaster it on Youtube and make some money off their neighborly behavior. Moving out of that place was a headache and had to read them the riot act to get our security deposit back which after I did they had it in my hands within 4 days....with a Sorry it was a Mistake.
  11. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    No HOA's for me, I just dont fit in with the accepted norm and dam happy I dont! :evil
  12. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Jeez, chill out. Sounds like your problem was with Bob and his attempt at being a one man HOA.
  13. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    HOAs = Mr. Kravitz

[​IMG]

As part of any house hunting endeavor, I would suggest a quick chat with prospective neighbors to see if it's a good fit.

We intentionally found a place without HOAs, but with reasonably well maintained homes. We can park the RV and motorcycle trailer out front without getting hassled. City codes prevent junked cars and unsightly nuisances to our satisfaction. Our neighbors may disagree, but none of them have had the courage to speak up during our monthly neighborhood parties that we rotate through different homes. :super
  14. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    I have a friend outside of Chicago, Western Springs, can't even park your pickup in front of your house :eek1 We have a few covenents where I am but no HOA, to me the biggest idiots are the few that rip out the native vegetation and trim the creosote bushes:rofl
  15. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost all new construction neighborhoods ( 5 homes and up) have a HOA in NJ. This is mainly to deal with and maintain common land and easements; detention basins being the biggest one. I actually have one now that I pay $600 a year for; all for maintenance of a large basin, which was required for water management. Water run off/flodding was a big problem in older developments; so fortunately the State got smart in the 80s and required engineering studies to mitigate run off.

Fortunately, these are just small legal arrangements and have no say or enforcement on everyone's homes. I think the whole 'property management' type of HOA are a thing of the past around here; just condos and retirement villages have them that I know of.

Although after my neighbor put up a hideous plastic fence along our property line, i wish we did have one to complain to ;-|
  16. Proveick

Proveick Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  18. _CJ

_CJ Sitting on pins and needles

Oddometer:
  19. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    Good for you in dealing with Bob. High Five!!
  20. blackjackdavey

blackjackdavey long time noob

Oddometer:
    re: op
    sounds like construction without a permit. :D

nosy busybody neighbor called inspectors on me when dad and i tried to do build a small tool-shed in the backyard (this was in michigan), that made us do 2 feet deep concrete rat-wall and slab for a tool-shed.