Would you buy your bike again?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by CafeRacer99, May 3, 2012.

1. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of current:

BSA A65L - Yes, partially because it was all original when bought with only 4 k miles. And $400. Nice to have a classic, love kick start. Always wanted a BSA after spotting one that looks just like mine when I was about 16. Been pretty reliable, used to commute with it when it was only 25 years or so old. Still do sometimes. Fun in a purely simple and mechanical way.

04 Bonneville. Absolutely. Like the BSA but drop dead reliable. Miss the kick start though. Easy to modify for looks, and performance (at least the carb models). A pleasure to ride, but can't easily hold a lot of gear for long distance.

12 Tiger 800. Yes, reliable, fast, tons of capacity for gear (with givi trekkers). Almost set up for my needs now, just need to reduce the drone. The drone is a bother, but brought on by my own action (chopping the baffle).
  2. Dharuma

Dharuma The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Heck yes--I bought a 2012 Wee in February and love it.
  3. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
    Super Tenere----- This bike is totally AWESOME 31,000 miles and a week over one year old, can't get enough of it.

06 650 Wee---- Good commuter bike but that's about it. Fake Adventure bike.

1979 XS1100--- Bought new 185,000 miles won't sell but I've sure had enough of it.
  4. Tonyw

Tonyw n00b

Oddometer:
    Interesting question!

Current rides - Ducati Monster S2R1000 - I would buy another one no doubt.

Also Ducati 1198 - would not get rid of mine but 1 is enough.
  5. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have another, related question.

If you still love your one and only bike, and would definitely buy it again; Is one bike enough?

I wouldn't trade my R12GS for anything, but got me a serious hankerin' for a new Monster 1100 Evo.
    Honestly, I've owned quite a few bikes over the years, and loved all of them. Even the '65 BSA that took all my money in my teen years and rarely ran for more than a few miles at a time.

If you could keep your current bike, is there a bike that you've ridden that would also get a good amount of saddle time if it was also in your garage? What is it?
  6. Wobbleside

Wobbleside Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd say that warrants a new thread but I'll answer.
    I'd love to have a rotax engine Aprilia. As much fun as the Tuono is I'd probably take the Futura and ride it during the wet season.
    I'd also love to have a KTM 5xx EXC in the garage though I doubt it would be ridden as much as the Multistrada or a Futura.
    For something completely different that I know I'd ride a lot? Another v-twin standard. Guzzi/V11 Sport or a Monster. I miss my monster sometimes and I love the way the Griso looks. I like my housemate's Norge so I know what I'm getting into with the Guzzi thing.
  7. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    FJR1300- absolutely!
    Ural Gear Up- in a heartbeat
    Buell Ullysses- yup
    KM100-meh
  8. Alanjnc

Alanjnc AlanjNC

Oddometer:
    And after dozens, a 2011 GSA. Perfect, but a hypermotard with a box on the back for urban duties is next, though the GSA is great n the city!
    Ironically, I'm also on the hunt for a ct90 or 110 (trail 90) was my first bike 35 years ago and I want another!!
  9. ktjim

ktjim longtime n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    03 Aprilia CapoNord. 90k miles. It's in the shop for the first time due to an on road breakdown. Kinda looking around at what I might buy. Super Tenere, Stelvio, KLR, DL650 but if the Capo was available I would buy another without hesitation. Has been a great bike.
  10. tick-tock

tick-tock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Of the 15 I've owned, I've definitely found some favorites.

First, the bikes I wouldn't buy again:

SV650 - No. Fun bike but not enough top-end power and not very versatile

Honda 919 - No. Didn't like the suspension or transmission but the engine was a gem.

Triumph Bonneville - No. Too slow for an 800cc twin and the seat was mighty uncomfortable. Couldn't bear to ruin the looks with an aftermarket seat.

Honda XR500 - No. Too old and too single-purposed.

SV1000S - No. Not enough power or suspension to make up for the sport-bike ergos.

Triumph Daytona - No. Lots of fun, fantastic motor, but my back can't stand the riding position.

Buell Ulysses (x2) - No. I did try this twice and liked the versatility, plus it was a blast to ride. The engine was too temperamental, however, and there wasn't enough steering lock for a bike that was designed to have off-pavement capability.

V-Strom 1000 - No. It was good on the highway but felt too top-heavy for off-road use. Had a bad stumble in the mid RPM range which had to be sorted with new fuel mapping. If I want a good highway tour mount, I'll just get an FJR1300 next time.

More of these, please:

2nd gen KLR650 - Yes. First bike I've had that could really go in the dirt and I've found that to be so much more fun than street riding. Though, this does street riding well too.

1st gen FZ1 (x2) - Yes. Very versatile with comfort, power, and reliability.

2nd gen FZ1 (x2) - Yes. Not as comfortable as the 1st gen but I liked having FI and it looked better.

Aprilia Tuono - Yes. Really enjoyed the power, looks, and handling. Would definitely buy one of the new V4 models.
  11. creggur

creggur There are no curves here.

Oddometer:
    Jacksonville, Fl. aka Flatandstraightsandistan...
    Love my Super Tenere. Just over 5,000 on the clock and it keeps getting better and better. Seriously, the bike really woke up around 4,000 miles and I swear it gets better each time I ride it.

Would definitely buy another one. And put as many miles on as fast as I could to get the beast to wake up.
  12. Katze

Katze Full Time Rider

Oddometer:
    Actually I did...

[​IMG]

This it what it replaced...

[​IMG]
  13. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I feel exactly the same way. First bike I've ever owned that was a disappointment. Now that I have it running well, I may already be over it. The handling was crappy at first, and now I don't feel 100% confident in the corners.

Definitely a Ducati Multistrada next or maybe the Triumph Explorer or maybeeeee....:evil
  14. AlsoRan

AlsoRan PNF

Oddometer:
    I would buy it again without a doubt. Having owned a Super Tenere for a year now, I am more impressed with it than ever. It seems to get better with age too. Great bike!
  15. Midwest Mike

Midwest Mike n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in a long term relationship (aprrox. twelve years), with a Cagiva Gran Canyon. Despite it's relatively few shortcomings (pro. from elements and body parts availability), this mount has given me ZERO trouble! It has been comfortable enough for lengthly tours, as well as interesting enough in engine/handling characteristics to keep me entertained. Ride far and deep, my friends! :evil
  16. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    a year ago, I would have said "yeah, i'd buy a new wee for lack of a better option". now things have changed. the right choices now are to go "high and low" - my very shortlist is a Super Ten for 90/10, and a WR250R for everything else. The super ten is just way more capable for "what might happen" when you're riding a too-heavy bike in rough terrain. drop the wee and you have instant trouble 'cause the oil is spilling out and its REALLY topheavy. I had hoped one of these mftrs would get the clue and make a twin adv bike that comes in clearly under 400lbs. not. so if you're going heavy, you may as well go "yes heavy, but WELL capable".
  17. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    One guy here just sold his S10 and got a 2012 Wee.
    I myself would love an S10 but I have set up my wee to the point that an S10 isn't going to be any better for what I have been doing.
  18. Dishy

Dishy n00b

Oddometer:
    This past summer I sold my YZF600R and DL1000. I got the feeling like I was making a mistake and would be searching for them again in the future.
  19. thisflatearth

thisflatearth 2 wheel has been

Oddometer:
    I love my Uly and have gone back and forth. But now I am keeping it. Going to throw a couple bucks into ceramic coating the exhaust and powder coating teh bag racks and changing the wheel color.

I love the bike and it makes me smile everytime I sweep through a twisting off ramp.

May even try and buy some plastics just to change up the color and keep it fresh.

Going to hold onto it and maybe do some motor work try to free up some revs. Going to work my ass off for the next couple of years while the wife gets her masters and then hopefully somewhere in there after we pay off her car I can get some big mega cruiser, ala a C1400 or convert a busa/XX into a upright sport tourer.
  20. razcob

razcob Dromedary

Oddometer:
    Recently sold 2004 BMW r1150gsa, absolutely not!!!!!